“A Hidden Treasure in Manhattan”
Review of 414 Hotel

414 Hotel
Ranked #1 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“A Hidden Treasure in Manhattan”
Reviewed May 13, 2011

I just discovered this wonderful small hotel on the edge of the theatre district on a lovely tree lined street that is reminiscent of those quaint European hotels that offer personalized service, communal breakfasts, privacy and make you feel welcome and special. The rooms are large, nicely furnished with elegance and flair and do not have that cookie cutter hotel feel. There is a lovely court yard in the middle of this renovated 4 story mansion where you can rest or enjoy the gardens and quiet while you drink coffee or sip wine between your adventures and outings or before you go to bed at night. Convenient to subways, many fine restaurants around the corner and one next door and you can even have food delivered to your room. I was truly impressed and thrilled to have discovered this hotel, now my favorite hotel in Manhattan. I'm a New Yorker that has been living upstate for a couple of years and am in the process of returning here so I come into the city quite frequently both for business and personal matters. I am recommending this hotel to all my friends who live out of state.

Room Tip: Ask and you shall receive.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank chroshak

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
London, Canada
Reviewed April 29, 2011

We had 4 fabulous nights at 414 Hotel. Staff were wonderfully welcoming and helpful. Pleasant neighbourhood yet close to theatre district, transportation, restaurants, etc. It is described as a boutique hotel and it accomplishes that quietly and with charm. Small, intimate and friendly. Not cheap but you get what you pay for. We have travelled extensively in Europe and North America. This was one of our most positive hotel experiences.

Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed April 17, 2011

We stayed here for one night on a weekend where pretty much every hotel neat times square was full. It was more expensive than we would normally pay ( nearly $300 with taxes), but because of a tight travel schedule we did not have much choice.

This was the most we had ever paid for a hotel in NY and was also probably the worst room we've ever had. Rooms are small, but biggest problem was noise. All night we could hear thumping music from next door, in the morning we were trying to sleep in but could clearly hear conversations from people in next room, and a lot of noise from the hallway. Additionally every ten minutes the heating unit made a strange electric buzzing noise.

On the plus side, the room was sufficiently clean, the bathroom was surprisingly large and updated and the location was decent.

Not a terrible hotel, just not worth the price and too noisy.

4 Thank zw2l
Mississauga, Canada
Reviewed April 4, 2011

We have stayed at the 414 Hotel for our annual weekend in New York City and have always liked it because of its small size, location, comfortable beds, included continental breakfast and if you got a room facing the courtyard, its quiet atmosphere for sleeping. Unfortunately, since we were there last year (2010) they have a new neighbour, a "hookah" bar/restaurant which plays loud music until 4:00 a.m. The constant thump, thump, thump makes it virtually impossible to sleep. If you plan on going there, when you get to your room, learn to operate the air conditioner, even in winter, as the fan hopefully will help to hide the noise (I was too tired to get up in the middle of the night to figure out the controls!), but not the vibration. I'm afraid we're going to have to find somewhere else to stay in the future.

Edinburgh, Scotland
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This hotel is superb, simply a hidden gem. our good sized room had a large ensuit, large TV, and a good sized fridge. The reception has an endless siupply of coffee available from the buffet breakfast untill evening time.
7 minutes and $10 Taxi fare from Penn Station got us to 414 west 46th street, after we had checked into our room, we had a look at the provided street map, got our barings, and headed of into the big apple.
Turn right out of the hotel and you are on 'resturant row' a good varied choice of resturants, stay on 46th street for four blocks (5-10mins) onto Broadway,
This is very central for everything, 10 min walk to subway on 50th st, 15 mins to Central park, and also 15 mins to Macy's and the Empire state building.
fill your boots, it's is up to you........

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
SF
Reviewed March 21, 2011

As stated above, I found little to like about the 414 Hotel. From the time I arrived and throughout my stay I was amazed out how much deferred maintenance I saw. My room, 305, had a space heater as the sole source of heat. It didn't have a thermostat that worked so I would get very hot and dehydrated and then when I turned it off, I got cold. All of the outlets in the room were being used so I had to unplug things to charge my things. Lighting is abysmal with no light source near the desk. There was mold in the shower and peeling paint all over. Hall carpets were filthy. They have a 72 hour cancellation policy which makes comparison shopping really difficult. Rather that stay here I would recommend The Jewel Hotel near Rockefeller Center. Brand new, about the same price.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
5 Thank Terrylee8
fort lauderdale
Reviewed March 15, 2011

My daughter and I stayed here during our first visit to NYC. The room was bigger and more comfortable than I expected. The staff was very helpful - they allowed us to stow our luggage with them both before and after checkout so we could explore the city, and brought our bags down the stairs for us. The seating area in the lobby is small, but I have no complaints. It was easy enough for us to bring our breakfast upstairs, and I appreciate that they use real dishes. The location was another plus, as we could easily walk to Times Square and subway stations, yet it was quiet. We'd stay here again if we hopefully get back to NYC!

• Stayed March 2011