“Excellent location, OK rooms, OK beds.”
Review of Belnord Hotel

Belnord Hotel
Ranked #300 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
“Excellent location, OK rooms, OK beds.”
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Just came back from a six-night stay at the Belnord Hotel. Rooms are, indeed, small, but in my opinion that's not so relevant, considering that it's a budget hotel and NY is a city for you to spend all day out (and night, too, if you want to).

If you're looking for a decent place to sleep, the hotel is a good option, especially if you see reviews of other budget hotels in Manhattan, which are ridiculously overpriced and sometimes not exactly clean. This is not Orlando; this is New York City. Don't expect huge rooms with cheap rates in NYC. You just won't find them in Manhattan, and if you see anything like that, you'll see that reviews usually mention bed bugs -- not my experience with the Belnord.

Rooms were very clean and, although walls are thin, I couldn't hear anything from other rooms, just people walking outside, mostly during the day -- but that wasn't a real problem for me. From my personal experience, I thought this wasn't a real problem.

Beds are just OK. One good thing about this hotel is that you can book rooms with two single beds - something not so common in the US. As I was staying with my brother, I found this to be good.

The Upper West Side is a very pleasant area in NYC. It's not as busy as other parts of the city and people are much more polite on the streets (no stressed walking fast and angry at people who can't keep that pace). It's the ideal location for a family stay. Moreover, the 86th St. subway station is just next door -- that was really good!

I must mention that Daniel, who works at the lobby, was really nice and gave some nice tips to my parents, who were staying in another room. The other receptionists need to improve their facial expressions (a.k.a. smile) and really incorporate the American way of rendering a service (nice approach, "how are you", "good morning", etc), which is one of the key elements that attract visitors to the United States. Other than Daniel, most of the other ones wouldn't answer my "good morning" or "good evening" phrases -- that was something that bothered me a little.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms facing the streets, because you'll hear occasional sounds from the street (but that...
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank JohnFromBrazil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed April 29, 2014

I realize that the cheap price of this hotel is tempting, but resist the urge. Yes the hotel is in a great neighborhood but that's the only benefit as far as I'm concerned. We stayed for two nights and I still get the shudders thinking of our stay there. The room itself is comically small. The walls are super thin, you could hear everyones conversations and it was very hard to get sleep. It's also dingy and the sheets/blankets looked gross and smelled. Everything looked and felt dirty to me. I've had better stays in hostels.
The hotel amenities are nonexistent - and no one offers to help you with anything in the hotel (bags/extra towels).

• Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Jacqueline N

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

McAllen, Texas
Reviewed April 27, 2014

Great neighborhood, a block away from the Subway near Central Park and it's safe and relatively quiet. We stay here every summer and its always clean, the staff have the personality of an old wet stinky rag and the room was the size of a medium sized walk in closet but we always enjoy our stay and for sleeping and resting for short periods you can't really beat the economics in making this your home base for your visit.

Room Tip: Watch your forehead when bending down to spit into the sink while brushing your teeth :)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ElRoro68
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 19, 2014

Nice convenient location. Okay if you're looking for a base and would just be using the hotel to sleep in. But not a great place to relax in: room dark and gloomy; no public areas; staff unwelcoming. No, you wouldn't call this place a home from home.

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank JuanPedroSanAndreas
New York
Reviewed March 11, 2014

The customer service when I called the website was horrible because I was a little upset I was hung up 3 different times, Bob was the last rep and he got me to a superviosr The supervisor listen and still had nothing good to say but let me vent, no corporate number no one above her that I can speak to, like I was out of money and room at the end of the night. I will never use this website again! The hotel was very neat and presentable, just did not understand how I got a small room like that.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 Thank Shalee B
NY
Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Prior to staying I read the reviews so there was no surprise that the rooms were small... It cracked me up as to how many people were "shocked" at how small the rooms were.. Come on people it's stated in almost every review! I didn't care because I didn't go to NY to lock myself up in a room. It was clean and served it's purpose. The front desk staff were helpful and friendly. The location was great! Really close to the subway (1 block) and close to the museums. Times Square was a hop, skip, and jump by subway. Would def go back and recommend.

• Stayed February 2014
4 Thank luv2traveldaworld
Fortaleza, Ceara, Brazil
Reviewed March 2, 2014

It was the cheapest we found in Midtown NYC. Still it was a wonderful hosting!
Bedrooms very clean, the staff always helped needed. There are also employees who speak Spanish.
It's just a pity not to have morning coffee or food at the hotel, but this is no problem in New Yourk, because there is always a delivery.
Best of all is receiving packets no charge for this service.
Before we went we read some comments about bedrooms be small, but we stayed in a room for persons with special needs and the size was very comfortable and spacious.

Room Tip: Bedroom for persons with special needs and the size was very comfortable and spacious.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple