“Excellent location. Fair value for Manhattan.” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Belnord Hotel

Belnord Hotel
Ranked #314 of 479 Hotels in New York City
Pretoria, South Africa
“Excellent location. Fair value for Manhattan.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2014

The room was very small, but clean. No facility to make coffee, but Starbucks was around the corner. Laundry next door was very handy. Close to Central Park. Very good location, close to the subway station but not too close. Quiet clean attractive part of Manhattan. The WiFi in the hotel worked OK, despite the staff's disclaimer that it might not. For New York (where hotels are usually a rip-off), the value was quite fair.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mostert585

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (99)
teaneck
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

I booked a night at the Belnord based on the reviews. I will say that it is spotless and cozy. The bed is comfortable and inviting with 5 pillows. It is only as quiet as what is happening outside your door. I promised Manuel, the kind
and helpful caretaker, that I would put in a nice word for him. In fact, it is because of his kindness that I chose to stay another night. It was one of the worst nights of my life. The thing with this hotel is this: NONE of the tvs work, and NO one knows how to fix them. Manuel spent an hour the first night, and finally suggested I change rooms. He told me about the nice coffee machine, also broken. At about 1 in the morning, the toilet started running nonstop. AND YET, as a traveler to many countries, I have learned that the kindness of the staff can cancel out a lot of headaches. BUT, I am a woman traveling alone, and looking for an apartment in Manhattan is stressful. The next morning, I told Jonathan about the issues, left my bag in the storage room, and said I might stay another night.I was in fact TOO tired to take the bus home, a journey of one and one half hours. I decided to treat myself to a night of TV and another night in the city. BEFORE booking the room, I made sure I could get the same room. I called and was told they would save the room for me. When I got to the hotel it was no longer available. I took a different room. I got into bed right away, and tried the TV. BROKEN. They sent another man, who stayed one hour coming and going while I tried to talk on the phone. End result- O. I Was too tired to move rooms and I resented the lack of privacy. I slept for about 3 hours to a loud humming noise which WOULD NOT go away. I tried ear plugs called the desk. A very nice guy Daniel, said he would send someone to look at it. A man came up, asked if he could do something. I had been up almost three hours with no
TV to at least distract me. I told him I'd love a cup of tea. FOUND out the beverage machine was :Broken! I just felt so miserable at this point I almost walked to the all night cafe. Except I realized I had a fever. Daniel at the desk agreed I was entitled to compensation. He said to speak to Jonathan, whom I knew to be hardworking and nice.As LONG
as you Don't complain
The next morning he said he could not refund the night EVEN though I ONLY STAYED based on the fact I be given the same room. Daniel actually implied it was my fault because I didn't change rooms. He offered me 8-12$ refund. This was a really bad experience, and people need to hear about it

• Stayed January 2014
2 Thank Julie W
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014 via mobile

Yes, the rooms are small. Yes, the price isn't as low as many would expect for a room of this size. But this is New York City people. This was my first time visiting and even I knew what to expect.

We were on the third floor and never encountered an issue with noise. The TV worked just fine so we were able to watch a little bit while getting dressed. Wifi worked too. We stayed for three nights and found clean towels every time we returned to the room. The only issue I had was that the toilet made some weird screeching noise every time it was flushed. Not a big deal though.

If you're looking for a clean, warm room with a bed and hot shower that you'll only be returning to at night after a long day in the city, stay here. If you're looking for a room to work or hangout in, look elsewhere.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sr1991
Lake Leelanau, Michigan
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2013

First the good. The hotel is cheap (by Manhattan standards), very clean and in a great Upper West Side location (assuming you want to be on the Upper West Side). It is an easy, half block walk to the 1 Line and is within walking distance of groceries, coffee shops, etc. If you are traveling for pleasure and do not plan on spending much time in your hotel room, these may be the key factors for you and you will not be disappointed.

However, the rooms are very, very small. Even for Manhattan. The room I had was literally about 10 feet by 10 feet, excluding the bathroom. It had room for a bed and the TV, which was hung on the wall. There were two night stands, one of which held the phone. That was it. There was almost no room to turn around,. There was no room for a chair to sit in, much less a desk. Unfortunately, I was in Manhattan on business and needed to spend a considerable amount of time in the room working. This just wasn't possible. So, I sought out a coffee shop, took my computer and my iPhone and set up a hot spot using the phone. This way I was able to log onto the internet. But I couldn't make private business phone calls in a public space like this. So, the coffee shop as a work space didn't really work for me. Just to be clear, the hotel does have wireless internet, which is included in the price, but trying to lie on the bed (remember, there is no place to sit in the room), type and conduct business just wasn't possible for me.

Also, while not a big deal, the wireless internet is very slow. You can't really use it to stream video. It sort of works, but not very well. It's fine, though, for e-mail.

So, I gave the hotel 3 stars. A more precise rating would be 4 stars if price and cleanliness is paramount to you, but 1 star if you need to spend a lot of time in the room.

Room Tip: I had an interior room and it was very quiet!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Robert A
North River, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2013

Great location, fantastic price. As clean as possible. Small room, but it is manhattan. If you are a large couple, the basic room and bath might be too small. We are only 5' 8" and less, so it was fine for us.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LouisF1
Cold Spring, New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel for one night to sleep-in after a fun night out in Manhattan. The rooms are very small but clean and practical to just go to sleep. To be woken up by the cleaning staff doing their work was very annoying. I could hear loud walkie-talkies, stuff clanking and banging, conversations, etc. I often stay at budget places like this Manhattan over weekends but Id have to really think hard about staying here again.

Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank renedv

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Birmingham, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2013

The Belnord Hotel was a recommended hotel for teachers attending events at Teachers College at Columbia University. Positives: very clean, comfortable, great elevator, in a good neighborhood and close to the subway. You can walk to groceries, coffee shops, restaurants, and pharmacies--all are close by. They stored my luggage in a secure place the last day when I had to attend my conference until the afternoon and made sure a taxi was waiting to take me to the airport at the time I needed to go. Negatives: rooms are really small with small bathrooms. There is no restaurant at the hotel, but several closeby. Close to Central Park and museums. I would stay here again and would recommend it to friends.

Room Tip: My room was on the 5th floor and worked well. I suggest bringing a power strip if you have multiple...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business