“not bad”
Review of Belnord Hotel

Belnord Hotel
Ranked #302 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Not a bad hotel if you plan on staying in the city just a few nights. The rooms are pretty small though so any prolonged stay in this hotel may leave you feeling pretty cramped. With that said, the rooms are very clean and are cleaned daily. I would have given this hotel four stars if it wasn't for the poor wifi signal throughout the hotel. The wifi signal is very weak and is hit or miss. I was lucky if I stood connected to the internet for five minutes before the signal was lost and took me another 20 minutes just to try to connect again. I wasn't the only guest with this problem, I heard another man in the lobby complaining at the front desk about the wifi problem. Overall this is a great hotel, but if you need the interent to work/study you might want to find another place.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 22, 2013

They gave us the key to an occupied room and we walked in on a man in his underwear. When we went downstairs, there was another couple at the desk and they asked us, "Did you get someone else's room key too?" The desk clerks were laughing about it, but it wasn't funny to the man in his underwear. We were scared to leave anything in our room because they were just handing out room keys downstairs.

Also, the rooms are the size of a bathroom.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without any other people in it.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Meg M
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The good:
+very inexpensive for NYC
+newly renovated (was an apt until recently) including stone surfaces in the bathroom
+upper westside location a bit calmer than midtown/Times Square - this is mainly a residential neighborhood but with many local restaurants, stores etc
+clean
+convenient to bus & subway including the bus lines that cross Central Park

The bad:
+very compact - we had a room with double bed (not queen or king), one nightstand, wall-mounted tv and no "extra" space - we did not mind (especially for the price), but you should know before booking
+there is a tub in the bathroom but it is small, maybe 4' length (vs 5' for household standard)
+most tourist sites are a bus/subway/taxi ride away (not a walk)
+rates are capacity controlled; we paid under $100 for our room, when we asked the front desk if that was typical they said during a busy time our room could be $155 - which is *still* very inexpensive for NYC but is a big % more than we paid on a Tuesday

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank babystepper
Reviewed February 16, 2013

The hotel is a very simple, but quite cosy structure. The rooms are small, but they have parquet on the floor and the bathroom is newly renovated with everything you need inside. All the rooms are cleaned daily, they even change your towels and sheets. The wifi is working in all the room, but you have to ask for a new password everyday. The location is very good to reach almost all the city. The red metro is just crossing the main road. Stuff is kind. There's no possibility to have breakfast inside. Anyway starbucks, supermarkets and other places are very close.

Room Tip: my room was at 5th floor and it was ok. You have to switch off the heating while you are in because...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 15, 2013

I was really insistent about the area we stayed in as safaety was a priority and I was really pleased with this choice. Although the room was small and the bed was smaller than ours back home it was really cozy and the service was very good. Front desk even called my shuttle service for me to confirm the reservation and made no charge for the call, they stored our luggage away safely whilst we enjoyed our last day after checkout as we had an evening flight. The area was absolutely spot on, two blocks from central park, one block from the subway and 3 major roads all within walking distance that housed many fine eateries and bars and shops. The price we paid was cheap as chips however since it was off season I expected we'd get a good deal. A great first time location, would consider again. Only one downside, no coffee facilities in the room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I have stayed at many hotels and this one is run by some hard nosed people who lie. This is not the best area to stay in but it was within 8 blocks of where I was going so I booked as I was visiting 8 blocks away. Primarily for the prices. They denied me a credit after they said on the phone I could cancel. Major Snowstorm. City completely closed. Two days notice. I called on WED for FRI cancel. When I called to re-book they said "WE are a small hotel", and denied any credit. Woulnt even give me buck off as a credit. THEN ... I found their prices were actually higher than The Days Inn on 94th, next to where I needed to go. Skip this budget hotel and their lies; and stay at the Days INN. Cheaper and a big upgrade.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank HillClimberEast
Reviewed January 14, 2013

I stayed there 1 week in august 2011.
Nothing to complain about, rooms was clean and very big (i don't know why but they gave us the invalid people room) with wood on the floor and not the stupid moquette.
Very clean and spacious.
I definitely will come back if I return in Ny!
Metro at 5 minutes walk.
A lot of restaurants nearby.
A starbucks 1 minute from the hotel :) perfect for breakfast!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple