“Affordable-ish, Clean, but felt a bit like Cattle”
Review of Belnord Hotel

Belnord Hotel
Ranked #301 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Melbourne Beach, FL
“Affordable-ish, Clean, but felt a bit like Cattle”
Reviewed November 6, 2012

This hotel was clean and up-to-date. Rooms were tiny, tiny - the size of a small closet, I had to close the closet door to open the bathroom door, and could not walk around the bed whe any doors were open (but I guess that's normal in NYC). However, I felt like I was part of a herd of cattle being processed through - no personal attention, no real smile and greeting! I was there on the weekend right after the 2012 storm Sandy. I called to find out about the cancellation policy. The reservation I signed up for said I had to cancel about 48 hours ahead. I thought this might be a special circumstance (the other hotel I was scheduled to stay at said I could cancel up to the day of check in if my flights were cancelled). Anyway, I had no way of knowing whether my flight would be going (could have cancelled more than 24 hours ahead if they'd allowed), but they told me I'd be charged for one night ($272.00 which is really expensive for me to pay for one night to begin with) if I cancelled on Nov.1 (for my Nov. 2 reservation). It seemed to me they might have appreciated some cancellations so that they could help out local NYC residents who were displaced by the storm. Instead, they made me feel compelled to make the trip rather than lose my money! They also had no place to lock anything up for my and no safe in the room. They did not allow any fluctuation in check-in, check-out time. And, although no one was rude to me, they were just rather curt and unapproachable.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (117)
  • Polish first
Bowmanville, Canada
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Hello Brian W, I'm not sure what you expected, but we were pleasantly surprised by this hotel!!!! Do not listen to this man!! Although the room was small, we were on vacation and only spent about 8 hrs out of 24 in the room anyway! Everything was clean, bed was very comfortable, and staff at the front desk were more than helpful. A very special THANK YOU to Nick who gave my daughter a bandaid from his own backback when he couldn't find one at the desk.
If I ever have the chance to visit NYC again, I will be staying here.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2012

its not the hotel I choose when I booked to visit new york, the hotel carter cancelled on me when I was already on my vacation in chicago, i was offered this and we were glad we accepted ,the rooms are very compact but look recently refurbished, claen tidy and modern as we were only there for two nights it was in a good location and we easily walked to it from time square, surrounded by cafes and bars and close too central park. would stop there again

Room Tip: didnt see any other rooms they all looked the same from the corridor.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed November 1, 2012

I live in NYC and due to the hurricane had to evacute. The BELNORD was my only option at that point. It was 200 + dollars for the night. The room was a SHOEBOX. My closet is bigger then the room. They Have Creepy old quilt conforters on the beds, with two pillows made out of felt and possibly straw. Did i mention it was small? the door hits the bed when you enter the room. When you lay in the bed you could feel that there was plastic cover the mattress under the pitted sheets. This was a low end HOSTEL. I would not recomend it to my worst enemy. It would be one thing if it were 50 bucks a night, but this place is overpriced and a disgrace to NYC. ANy review below that gives this place any positvie rating is cleary a ploy by the management.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank brian w

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

Reviewed October 30, 2012 via mobile

We were really happy with this hotel! The location was wonderful - great neighborhood, and close to the subway. The room was very nice and clean, although small. But the size was perfect for just two of us, and considering we were out seeing the city all day and spent very little time in the room, it was perfect. We would recommend this hotel to friends, and we'll stay here again when we visit NYC the next time!

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 25, 2012

I am a mature solo traveller. I booked an executive double on the fourth floor room - 426. I always request a room away from the vending and ice machines and the elevators. This was a quiet location with a typical NYC view - your neighbors fire escape. The room was exceptionally clean and large enough for two people, had a closet, two bedside tables, a desk and chair, a luggage rack, room for a couple of suitcases, two large windows, and a very very small bathroom. There were outlets next to the bed and under the desk for charging cells and computers. The bathroom had a wall hair dryer, shampoo, soaps, and plastic cups - unfortunately the cups were never replaced in the three days I stayed there. There were no hooks in the bathroom which made it impossible to hang a robe or pjs. The towels were soft and large. There is a fan in the bathroom. Good shower - tall shower head. In room heating/AC digital electronics worked great. Love the carpet-less floors except late at night and early in the morning when the hall traffic is LOUD. The lobby looks like a European boutique hotel and the desk staff was cordial. There is a small coffee machine behind the front desk ($0.50) and a workstation. The location is one short block from the #1 subway line on Broadway which is across the street from a small market and two banks and loads of fantastic shopping. This is a terrific location for visiting Barnard and Columbia. Note: you will have to carry your luggage up several steps to the front door; if you are a heavy packer, you might find the room size frustrating. I paid $247 per night which was the best deal for the time I booked on the upper west side.

Room Tip: Room far from elevators are quieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo