“ok for NYC”

Ranked #302 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Basel, Switzerland
“ok for NYC”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2012

spent one night last week at this hotel with my gf.

the room is tiny and basically just has space for the bed which was comfortable.

bathroom is tiny and there is no room for 2 people at the same time.

view was a brickwall of the hous next door.

however this is nyc and the room is clean and had no complaints. tv has enough channels and i liked that there was a wood floor instead of a dirty carpet.

location is great whit it being just one block away from a subway station.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Barrry B

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
Jerusalem, Israel
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2012

I really think that one should ignore the reviews dating back to 2005 that showed some prices ridiculously low in today's context, and also those of 2009 or 2010 when the Upper West side was plagued by bedbugs in hotels from the highest to the lowest. We stayed there in August/September of 2012, for 8 nights and paid an average of $216 per night including taxes (booked through Expedia). This was a Belnord different to many previous reviews. In fact, most of it looked as if had recently been refurbished. It did have an elevator. It had wooden floors. It had an adequate reception area. The room we were given was small, but not too small, apparently one of the largest they have: not enough space to hang clothes or put them in a wardrobe, so we had to live out of our suitcases. Partitions were made of some sort of plywood so that every word spoken outside was well audible inside. But it had a 26 inch TV set (HD, as all are now in the US) with the Time-Warner set of channels. These do not carry a single foreign language (Spanish can no longer be considered a FOREIGN language in New York, like in many other US locations), so that some of the other guests we spoke to were disappointed. It also was so superclean that we had to abandon all thoughts of how to avoid bedbugs, thoughtfully provided to us by Yahoo Travel. All bedclothes and utilities were changed every day, which led to an experience unheard of in the more than a hundred hotels that I have visited over the years: I put my undercover billfold (flat and plastic) in the pillowcase, as I am used to in my travels. But I forgot it there… In the evening I was sure that I had lost the several hundred dollars of spending money that I had put there. But the next morning the reception clerk to whom appealed called the head of the maids, and when my wife produced its exact twin the lady handed my billfold over. All the money was there, although it had gone to the laundry and made its way back from there washed. Needless to say – we were overjoyed. As for the rest – the Upper West Side is a pleasant and safe part of the city and has many attractive shops. Bus lines and the Underground are a stone's throw away from the hotel. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rate was far lower that that of other hotels in New York, especially since we could not book far in advance. Places to eat are nearby – three in the same bloc. And the other guests, who spoke a Babel of languages, were all quiet-spoken and courteous, meaning there was no noise to complain about at all. Definitely value for money. Three cheers for the Belnord! AmosH Jerusalem

Room Tip: Try not to be too close to an elevator, as it features a very noisy bell.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank AmoshJerusalem
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is very clean with no moquette, but parquet on floor. Restrums are clean and towels are changed every day. It is near Caffe' Lalo a good place to have the breakfast avoiding starbucks and having the possibility to choose between many cakes and a perfect italian capuccino. To reach the hotel you have to use the 1 metro red line stopping at 86. It is near the central park. If I have to write a drawback it is the room dimension. I first had the number 104 (ground floor) with the promise of a change because too small for two, but we waited two days to change the room. The second one was better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012

Stayed here recently for 5 nights, it was my first trip to NYC and we were just looking for an affordable base from which to see the city. The hotel is very clean, with good air conditioning but rooms are so tiny, the shower was hot and cold, and front desk staff (bar one guy, who was pleasant) are SO unfriendly. I've never stayed in a hotel where I didnt receive a warm welcome, I also used to work in hotels so I know how important these first impressions are! We used the hotel as a base for our sightseeing, and it served its purpose as that. The room was so small, but we didn't spend much time in it so we were not too bothered by it. The location is good with plenty restaurants/cafes nearby and central park, and natural history museum within walking distance, and a subway station literally round the corner. We didn't have a bad experience, but it could have been better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 78Saz88
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2012 via mobile

Arriving at a hotel, even a budget hotel, l expect a few things...pleasant staff and a nice pest-free room. Didn't get that here. Instead, I got rude staff and a GOD AWEFUL small room with cockroaches!!! Horrible experience that I hope no one else will ever have to go through!

3 Thank swatson1979

Travelers are raving about these New York City hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Small and poorly designed room with NO storage. Bed too short for normal size adults, no closet in bedroom, no hooks or towel racks in bathroom, no place to store even a carry on bag. Small would be ok if design were better able to accommodate basic needs or even minimal unpacking.Front desk staff disengaged to the point of rudeness. On the plus side it's very clean and well located.

• Stayed August 2012
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

There was a rat in my room. I told housekeeping AND reception but nothing was done after the second night so I left. To make matters worse, they refused to give my money back for the two nights that I didn't stay there meaning I paid over $400 in accommodation when I was staying somewhere else. Furthermore, the bed could only just fit in the room and the only window faced straight onto another wall so no light could get through. Avoid at all costs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo