“Adequate but not exceptional”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #95 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Diego
“Adequate but not exceptional”
Reviewed May 9, 2010

We booked the Benjamin after carefully considering our options. We don't much care for the giants (like Marquis Marriott, Sheraton) and don't want to spend the kind of money for the luxuries (Sherry Netherland, Waldorf Astoria) and the other contenders, such as the Algonquin, seemed to have less to offer, so there we were. I sent an email and received a phone call from Gina, one of the concierge staff, who was friendly, delightful and informative. I called ahead and requested a king bed, and the request was acknowledged in such a way that it seemed to be a done deal.
So we travel from JFK to the hotel after our long flight from California and arrive at about 5 pm to a less than warm check in experience with no information or welcome provided, and the response to my reminder that we had requested a room with a king bed was met with "the hotel is full tonight" and it seemed my request had not been noted. A toddler was screaming her head off in the lobby during these proceedings. We made a retreat for the elevator and got ready to race out for dinner and an 8 o'clock show.
That evening I remembered the vaunted "12 choice pillow menu". No such menu or offer of pillow selection ever appeared on our radar. No daily newspaper of our choice was delivered or offered. There were papers available in the lobby, however. We saw newspapers laid in front of doors to other rooms...wondering if we were overlooked for some reason. Oversight?
Uniformly excellent service was delivered every day by the doormen and housekeeping staff. Front desk, not so much. We decided not to bother renewing our request for a king room. We were too busy and too much on the go to contemplate a change of rooms. Our floor creaked but that was the only complaint about the actual room. The size and space were adequate, the bath was fine, and the little kitchenette a real benefit. We just had to push those $7 bottles of water and $24 half bottles of wine out of the way to make room for the orange juice and full size bottles of wine we acquired in shops near the hotel.
We used the adequately equipped gym twice. It is small and stuffy, with no sign of ac--New York was about 78 each day of our visit--and the Bosu was half-deflated. I looked around for an attendant who might have a pump; no dice. The hotel was busy and the two elevators were a little tiresome, although we took the 11 flights of stairs to the gym.
In thinking about the Benjamin I was reminded of the small hotels we stayed in last year in Paris and London, where the dollar is at a disadvantage and space is at a premium. You expect smaller rooms and some creaking and other facets of an older building.
When we walked to the corner nearby to grab a bite from a Metro Cafe, the entrance to the Doubletree was thronged day and night with tour groups wearing nametags around their necks waiting to board their buses. Whew! Now that would have been a mistake. I'm not sure about the Doubletree, but the Benjamin is smoke-free. You need every break you can get from smoke in NYC because people smoke like crazy on the sidewalks and in every doorway throughout the city.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I had heard a lot about the The Benjamin but i was not very pleased. I had a one bedroom suite which was a good size but the room had very limited natural light and dreary upholstery. I found the service extremely strange!! The doorman/.bell boy was shady and a grouch and outright rude! The housekeeping was not satisfactory either! The best thing about this place is the location if uou want to be close to fifth avenue to shop other than that I am sure you can find tons of hotels like this if you look well enough.

Ohj also i saw a HUGE cockroach in the corridor of my floor!!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, May 18, 2010
Dear PSJ1234,

My name is Andrew Labetti, General Manager of the Benjamin. I want to apologize for the unpleasant experience you had during your stay us. It is very unnerving to me to hear about your interaction with our staff, and want you to know that I am addressing this with my Director of Front Office immediately. This type of behavior is not the level of service we pride ourselves upon here at the Benjamin, and is totally unacceptable. I am also working with my Director of Housekeeping regarding the insect in the corridor.

To further research the issues and concerns you experienced during your visit I would like the opportunity to speak with you. Please feel free to contact me at ALabetti@thebenjamin.com at your convenience. I would like to have the opportunity to renew your faith in the Benjamin.

Andrew Labetti
Los Angeles
Reviewed May 8, 2010

I am a seasoned business traveler, this is a very poorly managed hotel and not recomeneded. I bookes a two room suite and checked in at 7pm. At 9 pm a note was placed under the door that the water in the hotel would be shut off from 9am to 3 pm on the next day Monday. I should have been informed on check in since I came from a different time zone and would be getting up late NY time. How do you shower and shave for a meeting with no water. The night manager was combative and did not offer to comp the room nor did I receive a return call from the general manager but after demanding the night fee was waved.Additional notes: AC did not work in one room, shower head was hanging loose , took 30 minutes to get ice when ordered, q tips were dirty with make up from prior clients. Elevator maintainance in mid morning rush, only two elevators for 27 floor hotel, one shut down at 9 am for routine maintainance. Bad show!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, May 10, 2010
Dear Brad201,

My name is Andrew Labetti, General Manager at the Benjamin. I want to apologize that your stay was so upsetting. I am sorry that the the water shut down was not communicated to you upon check in, we did place notes in all of the rooms on top of that and I am looking into why yours wasn't found. I realize this was an inconvenience; however it is required by law to have our elevators inspected and our water tank cleaned yearly and there simply is no convenient time to do this. Unfortunately the elevator inspector came at the same time. Regarding the unprofessional behavior of our night manager, I am addressing the experience with the Front Office Director, and using this situation as a coaching tool to ensure this does not happen in the future. In regards to the room functionality and cleanliness I want to assure you that I am personally working with my Housekeeping and Engineering team to resolve these issues immediately. I appreciate all of your feedback, and I request that if you read my response, that you reach out to me directly so I may make amends. I never want any of our guests feeling less than fulfilled after a stay at The Benjamin.

I completely understand your frustration and hope to hear from you soon.

Andrew Labetti
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stayed in this hotel for free for one night cuz the hotel i originally booked was full, and got sent over to this hotel..
pro:
1.nice lobby
2.ok service
con:
1.rooms are kinda aged
2.no vending machine in the hotel at all, if u are thirsty during the midnight, u either have to drink their 7 dollars per bottle water, or u have to drink the tap water..im really picky with the water, so i had to go to the nearest 24 hours store, which is not close at all during the night, to get some water
3.not really good location for first time visitors

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with friends
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 29, 2010

I live in the city so I didn't really need to travel for this. Just looked for a nice hotel in the city for Valentines day with my GF. The hotel has a New York feel and is somewhat boutique-y. Out room was clean and quaint and overall pretty nice but it was a little bit small. I typically only stay at 4+ star hotels and this place fits the bill. One nice thing about the Benjamin in the city is that they have a pillow/sleep menu. We were able to have lavendar turn-down service and also pick from an assortment of pillows and other sleep accesories (i.e. slippers, eye covers). I don't think you will be shocked either way. Pretty standard 4-star hotel in NYC. The location - Midtown East, isn't the best area of the city but everything is fairly close so you can take a quick train ride to any place in the city.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed April 22, 2010

This was our second stay at the Benjamin. Warm and attentive staff, from the doormen to the housekeepers. The manager understands his guests and provides the added attention that makes guests feel special. Great bed!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, April 27, 2010
Dear Val from Mtl,

My name is Andrew Labetti, the General Manager of the Benjamin. I am so happy to hear that you had a relaxing stay with us. I am certainly going to share your glowing comments with my team. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Andrew
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2010

I slept on the bed settee in the main room and it was very comfortable.
So quiet for a city centre hotel.
The kitchen with microwave and Fridge freezer was a boon but the breakfast place two doors along was excellent value too.
Staff are so helpful and explain how to get to places very clearly.
Our day marching in the Tartan Day processin was the icing on the cake.
My friend was also handy to get to the theatre, by subway, in Grammercy where she was performing her one woman show.
If I'm ever lucky enough to go again I'd use the Benjamin.
JFK is easy to access from nearby on line 6 - $2.25 followed by an easy walk to the airtrain $5. Took less than 1 hour.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with friends