“Fantastic stay... every detail perfect.”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #98 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 29, 2014

Drawn in by the "pillow menu," I booked a stay at The Benjamin last month. Given its reputation and price point I was expecting quality, but the overall experience surpassed my high expectations. I have stayed in several high-quality Midtown hotels, usually comped by the company I work for-- but none have been quite this great. From the moment I walked in-- the inner door swings open as you approach-- I felt welcomed. The desk staff was friendly and helpful, and the room I received-- just exceptional.

I had booked a one-bedroom suite, but given that this is Manhattan I was not expecting it to be very large. Instead, the room was bigger than my aunt's NYC apartment (see photos!) and even had a little kitchenette with a fridge-- I mean an EMPTY one that I could actually put things in (and did). The king-sized bed was extremely comfortable-- especially with those special pillows-- and they even think of special details like a comfy afghan, extra outlets in convenient places, and a robe that felt brand-new. The rooms are modern but "warm" and very new-looking-- and *clean*. (I am really uptight about bathroom and bed cleanliness in hotels and am rarely 100% happy, but in this case I was.) Note: ask for a street view (which is what I got). They told me some of the rooms face an air shaft, and the view is really nice so I was glad I got one that didn't.

The rest of the hotel has a really nice, non-corporate, "old New York" luxury feel. I liked that aspect of it MUCH better than any of the cookie-cutter Marriotts etc. In terms of convenience, the location is excellent-- a subway station is within two blocks, and there's a Duane Reade pharmacy/convenience store around the corner and lots of great restaurant choices nearby. I walked there from Penn Station.

I will definitely stay there again. It was a fantastic stay. Also, I had thought the one-bedroom suite was going to be a onetime indulgence, but I am really tempted to go that route next time as well. How many times do you end a trip feeling like you didn't get to spend enough time in your hotel room?!

Room Tip: Ask for a street view rather than air shaft
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
There are newer reviews for The Benjamin

Reviewed April 29, 2014

This is my second stay in the Benjamin and I chose it because I went with a group of friends and enjoyed the spacious rooms and excellent midtown location. Both of our rooms had a nice refrigerator and minibar area and were tastefully decorated. We heard little traffic but were on the 15th floor. The elevators which were notably slow on my last stay were no problem on this visit. I would definitely stay here again!

Room Tip: Try to get floors higher up to avoid hearing the traffic
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 28, 2014

I had a misfortune in leaving my passport behind in the hotel. Luckily I got very good and swift help and I want to extend a special thanks to Dana Hawks who help me out in a great way. Much appreciated!

Reviewed April 26, 2014 via mobile

The Benjamin is a good mid town Hotel that offers reasonable value for money ( by New York standards) It's location is excellent being a short walk to many of the highlights. The rooms are well decorated and comfortable. The downstairs restaurant is excellent- frankly worth staying just for the restaurant.
The downside is small and slow elevators, small foyer / leaves no area to sit and unwind. Cost by New York standards is reasonable by LA standards expensive.
I will happily stay again at the Benjamin.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded June 4, 2014

Dear Nickforty,

Thank you for your wonderful review! Our entire team appreciates that you stayed with us and hope you come again soon.

Steve Sasso

For more information on our newly redesigned luxe Midtown East hotel and our Best Rate Promise, please visit our website.

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Good, clean hotel. Rooms and lobby were a bit smaller than expected for the price (also a little bit noisy), but staff was courteous and room was clean and acceptable. Location is the biggest draw for this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2014

Dear Kiersten S.,

I am elated that you enjoyed your visit and found our hotel fresh, clean and positively situated on 50th Street and Lexington Avenue. Our team will go above and beyond to make sure you'll feel at your Best during your visit. The genuine and attentive service you'll receive from our team is what makes your experience with us so special.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

The hotel is well situated In mid town NY.
I found the hotel very comfortable with spacious rooms.
However for the price the rooms were very noisy, very poor isolation from the streets .
Service OK nothing special for the price. Little to no attention to detail.
Bathroom small for the size of the room.
The beds are very comfortable but that does not help when you are not used to the noise outside and it goes on all night.
I think for this price range you can definitely find better in NY.

Room Tip: I tghink all rooms are noisy as they face out onto 50th Street and have very poor sound proofing.

Dear Brigitte B,

Thank you for your recent review. I am so glad you found our location perfect for your recent visit. I am dismayed that you were disturbed by some street noise. We have a variety of room location choices including our interior rooms that some guests feel are quieter. We do our best to help guests put NYC on mute by providing complimentary white noise machines, ear plugs and the perfect pillow and sleep amenities to match the kind of sleeper you are. Please ask for our Sleep Team when planning your next visit.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

Great hotel for travelers! The best thing about The Benjamin is the incredible staff. Mohammed the bellman stood in the intersection, in the rain to get me a cab on a busy evening. Housekeeping is similarly accomodative. The rooms are well thought out and having a small full kitchen was great. I was eating out every night with friends/clients and did not want to order two more meals every day. I bought fruit, juice, salad and soups for light meals and it was a pleasure to eat well quickly. The gym could use some mats for stretching but is adequate and they have earphones if you forget yours( of course I did ). A good value.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2014

Dear diana j,

Your glowing remarks are a joy! Thank you for recognizing Mohammad from our Bell/Door team and our Housekeeping team. Each member of our hotel staff is dedicated to help you make the most of your visit to NYC. Our 209 rooms and suites are newly redesigned by Rottet Studio with design elements that capture the grandeur of our beautiful Beax-Arts style 1927 building yet do not compromise on modern amenities that complete your experience. Our Fitness Center had mats recently placed hanging on the sides of the pillars just adjacent our medicine and yoga balls. We hope this new placement makes them more accessible and takes your feedback into account. I am thrilled you enjoyed the headphones and equipment!