“fabulous NYC getaway” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersSilver level
pittsburgh
“fabulous NYC getaway”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 29, 2014

We stayed at the Benjamin for a long weekend between Christmas and New Years with our teenage daughters. We loved everything about it. Great location. Had a suite with a pull out couch for our daughters. Rooms were impeccable, well stocked and the service was amazing. Accidently left a silver ring in the bathroom on the morning we checked out and realized it once we were already on the train home. I called the hotel and they located it and mailed it back to me immediately. Had dinner at the National restaurant one night. Food was very good and the ambiance superb! Will definitely go back!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, January 30, 2014
Dear redsoupgirl,

I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed such a wonderful experience at The Benjamin. Your recommendation is the best gift we can receive and I am so glad you will be keeping us as your destination of choice in NYC. The National Bar & Dining Rooms features the culinary inspirations of Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian in a European style café setting. I am so happy you got your silver ring back! Our staff is here to make sure your stay goes perfectly and when something unexpected happens we are here to help in every way we can.

Assistant General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2014

I spent a week at this hotel. Everyone was fabulous. I had an awesome corner room. A special thanks to Paula (I'm sure I've spelled her name wrong, so sorry!) in housekeeping who went out of her way to be caring and friendly and gracious. She was like the star on top of an already beautiful Christmas tree!

• Stayed January 2014
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, January 28, 2014
Dear CaliMan2,

Your splendid review gives our team a great reason to celebrate and I appreciate the time you took to share your positive experience on Tripadvisor! I am thankful that your weeklong stay was filled with so many fond memories. Our team is passionate about customer service and I am thrilled that you mentioned Paola, from Housekeeping, in your review by name. By doing so, you have generously acknowledged her and all her colleagues' efforts in a very rewarding way. Our 209 newly redesigned rooms are generously sized and we feature many spacious one bedroom suites that offer a corner room configuration.

New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014

All the staff are exceptional from the door man to the porters.
I requested a DVD player and it was set up immediately, I asked for a number of things and they were all done on time.
I came in for my sisters birthday and the staff at the front desk treated her special and wished her a Happy Birthday which set the tone for a wonderful day for her.
This hotel found the hidden formula on customer service saught by most companies.I can also recommend eating at this hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank Mrs. Sandra A. M
Dear Mrs. Sandra A. M,

I am elated that you were able to generously share your stay experience on Tripdavisor. A positive review is your best gift back to us. Our team appreciates your kind recognition of their efforts to make your sister's special occasion so memorable. Our team has a wonderful ability to make your priorities our own and deliver service that genuinely reflects how much we care about attention to details. The National Bar and Dining Rooms features the culinary inspirations of Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian and I am delighted you had a chance to enjoy a meal there during your stay.

Tonsberg, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2014 via mobile

A very nice Hotel with good service and staff. The room was excellent with a very good bed. A little kitchen with microwave and refrigirator. The Hotel is situated at the corner of Lexington Avenue and 50 St. In walking distance to many stores, good restaurants and 5th Avenue.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear Johnny_Soleng,

You've made our day with your terrific comments! Our location is incredibly convenient on 50th Street and Lexington Avenue in the heart of Midtown. We are within walking distance of premiere shopping, world famous sights like Rockefeller Plaza and the United Nations. All 209 of our newly redesigned rooms by Rottet Studio feature a kitchenette with refrigerator, microwave and tableware. Our staff will delight you with their with genuine and attentive service.

Bath, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2014

A big thanks to the team of the. Benjamin for making my recent 4 night stay a real treat. I normally struggle to sleep when in NYC and having stayed at a string of other 5 stars hotels in recent years, this was a great find.

We spent a kings ransom on our Vi Spring bed at home, it was great to find a bed and bedding to meet my needs. I enjoyed it so much I have just booked a return trip, this time with the family in July this year.

I Must also say thanks to barman, Michael, who guided me through the unfamiliar craft beers in the fab bar, eventually finding a cracker from California and the friendly giant of a doorman (sorry forgotten his name) who sorted out a bargain ride back to JFK for me.

One very small criticism. I did try to book the return trip whilst I was staying but was told by the reception team that I had to call their contact centre!! Not ideal,as I wanted to secure specific rooms due to traveling with the children.

That aside, this is a great hotel in a very central location. Enjoy if you are fortunate to visit.

Room Tip: 1205 and 1206 if you have children as they have a single entrance option. A great find if you want t...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Mike D
Dear Mike D,

Thank you for your glowing remarks! I am delighted that you enjoyed our Rest and Renew Program so much and everything that makes it so rejuvenating like our supremely comfortable beds. We want to be your destination of choice and so I am elated that you have already booked a future stay in July to return with your family. I appreciate your compliments of Michael at The National and our Bell/Door crew. You can expect our team to consistently provide genuine and attentive service. I can appreciate your desire for a specific room configuration for your upcoming stay so please contact me directly prior to your arrival so I can personally assist you, 212.715.2500 or jegol@thebenjamin.com.

Fiscardo, Greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

I really wanted to like this hotel as I prefer boutiques. For starters my bathroom toilet on arrival was full of hair which was disgusting. But the room was lovely.

But my complaint is that there was a huge snow storm and my flight was cancelled. I asked in the evening if I could extend and they said they would check and call me. They did not. The next morning they said I could extend at double the rate. It felt like gouging. I protested and the woman at the desk said her hands were tied. She had not one ounce of empathy.

I checked out and sent an email to the manager. He contacted me later that day and offered to extend the room at my earlier rate and asked me to give them another chance. I appreciate that he tried to rectify the situation but it was too late to undo how I felt. When major storms hit rather than gouging it is a time to extend a hand to a guest already checked in.

I walked across to the Waldorf with no reservation and got a lovely room at a fraction of the cost.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Dear esemmes,

Thank you for sharing a review on Tripadvisor. Our customer feedback is very important to us and we place great value on listening to our guests. I would very much like to speak with you in greater detail about your comments. The disappointing remarks you described are highly irregular and do not reflect the high standards of care we promise to deliver. I know you have already spoken with our Director of Front Office. I appreciate your time to speak with me further. My phone number is 212.715.2500 and my email address is jegol@thenenjamin.com.

Canberra, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014

I had read a lot about The Benjamin and walked past it when I was in New York in December 2013 on my way to Canada and decided that I would stay there on my way back. I was expected a lot I guess because of some of the reviews but overall found it a bit average. So, some of the pros - on arrival the doorman was very welcoming and helpful as were the reception staff and they offered me an upgrade which was nice. I had a larger room which was very tastefully appointed - nice furnishings, bathroom and little kitchenette. The air conditioning was so loud, that I either had to turn it off completely or sleep with earplugs. The lobby is so small and is the main place where you can get free wifi but is not really conducive to sitting and relaxing. The location is great - a number of blocks from Times Square (15 mins walk) and lots of cafes and restaurants in a nice part of the city. While the restaurant connected to the hotel looked quite lively, I found as a person travelling by myself that the service was not that good and it was quite expensive. The staff do go to lengths to improve service and contacted me after I wrote review of the restaurant. If I was to go back to New York I would probably stay elsewhere.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Heather M
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Heather M,

Thank you so much for sharing about your visit on Tripadvisor. I am delighted that you had an overall positive experience with us. I appreciate your radiant remarks about our friendly and accommodating service. Our team is focused on providing genuine and attentive service to each and every guest. I enjoyed reading that our team was able to situate you in one of our spacious and newly redesigned rooms that all feature a kitchenette complete with microwave and tableware. I will absolutely resolve your feedback about the in room heating as it does not reflect our high standards of comfort. I invite you to return if your travel plans bring you back to NYC.