“Great, classy hotel in great location”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #102 of 473 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I stayed here for a week some months ago, I am coming back next week. The room was spatious and well appointed, the service was magnificent. I tend to mistrust hotels in big cities like NY, Paris or London, so I came to this hotel after lot of research and recommendations from friends, I was happily impressed by it. My home in NYC!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Wotan123456789
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded October 30, 2013

Dear Wotan123456789,

Thank you for your recent review of The Benjamin. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your enjoyed your stay in March and that you have found a new home in New York. I look forward to having you back with us on your upcoming stay.

Joe Gaeta

Write a ReviewReviews (2,829)

Reviewed October 25, 2013

We just came home from 4 nights at the Hotel Benjamin situated in Mid-Manhattan, New York city.
We requested a suite with a Terrace and it was wonderful!
In fact we had 2 terraces: 1 off the livingroom and 1 off the bedroom which was spacious and had a table w/4 chairs.
It even had a city view.
We really felt like we were returning home after a day of sightseeing/theatre/walking.
The service from the front desk, and Concierges Anya and Sarah was excellent - who did up our dinner reservations and daily itinerary.
Was nice to have a restaurant off the hotel lobby called The National, Geoffrey Zakarian's, which was always a-buzz and hopping.
We enjoyed having dinner there the last night -- although the noise factor inside is extremely loud!
All in all, we would return to The Benjamin again, as long as we were given this same room.

Room Tip: Higher floors may be less noisy, but even though we were on the 24th floor -- out of 26 we could st...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear cre8ev1,

Thank you for your recent visit to the Benjamin. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed our spacious suite accommodations and Terraces. It is great to hear that you enjoyed the “buzz” in The National which is hot spot for hotel guests and locals alike. Thank you for your kind words about Anya and Sarah which I have passed along to them. We look forward to welcoming you home to The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

Reviewed October 23, 2013

I have stayed at leading hotels throughout the U.S. and nothing compares to my experience at the Benjamin in NYC! I had been staying only at the Ritz in Battery Park for the last year, until I stayed at the Benjamin and now I will never stay anywhere else. The quality of the rooms, from the incredible beds & furnishings, complete with a complimentary menu of 13 pillows, to the incredibly spacious room lay-outs, & kitchenette's that are beyond any I have ever had, all truly in many ways surpass my experience at the Ritz! But what stands out more than Anything else about the Benjamin is the incredible people that make you feel as if you are truly coming home, each and every time you return. Real. Authentic.Genuine, yet wonderfully professional people who Truly care are the only type of people who make up the staff. I have so many stories of everyone from service engineers, to housekeeping, to the incredible GM Joe Gaeta & Chris Olthoff, Director of Front Office Operations, going above and beyond to accommodate my any request. Usually great service & luxury hotel translates to- Formal, buttoned-up energy from the staff to make you feel important. The difference at the Benjamin is they want you to feel taken care of, yet connected in a very human way to who they are. I truly feel like I go home to my NY family away from home when I stay at the Benjamin!...and for that, I will never stay anywhere else! Guarantee if you stay once, you will never stay at another hotel in NYC again. The experience is one you will never forget and all the luxury to go with it!

Room Tip: I love the lay-outs of the deluxe studio rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Dear Jennifer W,

Thank you for all of your visits to The Benjamin and for calling us your home in New York. I am glad that you enjoy the great rooms and the amenities of the hotel including our pillow menu and sleep program which we are refreshing next month. I am truly pleased that you experience our warm gracious service each and every time you are with us. Our associates work hard to ensure memorable stays and I have passed your very kind words to them. The Benjamin family looks forward to “welcoming you home” on your next visit to New York.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

I'll keep this short: we either stay at The Benjamin or we don't come to NYC. The staff is exceptional: Front Desk, Housekeeping, Doormen, wait staff at The National ... all are totally customer focused and do everything possible to please. The rooms are superbly maintained and blissfully quiet. The sleep program is a real plus. Of course, dinner at The National is always part of our stay.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank SJNat
jgaeta, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear SJNat,

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you for taking the time to send us your very important feedback. I greatly appreciate it. I am delighted that the Benjamin is your home away from home. For you to recognize that our team is customer focused is a wonderful thing to hear.
Please contact me directly if I can assist in a future reservation.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

Great hotel in Midtown. I *had* to stay here per our corporate travel policy, but I will *choose* it when I return to NYC. I checked out and forgot my charger. Manuel in housekeeping and Gina in the front desk were very helpful in finding it and holding it for me (and for calling me back). Well done!

• Stayed: October 2013

Dear Virginia914,

I hope this finds you well.

I am delighted to get your feedback and hear that the Benjamin will be your choice hotel in the future. We are very lucky to have Emmanuel and Gina as part of our team. They continue to strive to make all our guests happy. I am also so happy that we were able to locate your charger.
Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in any future needs.

Reviewed October 17, 2013

I had booked a trip to New York as a surprise birthday gift for my husband. We were booked at the Park Central hotel. When we got there, they chose not to tell us that while under construction in some areas of the hotel, there would be no ice, no room service, no hotel bar and the room so small we couldnt walk past the dresser with our luggage. We began calling around looking for another hotel, the next day and happened upon The Benjamin. For a bit less money we ended up with the perfect room, a suite no less!

They staff, amenities, the room and the 12 pillow choices were beyond what we could have expected. They were truley amazing!! Our room was quiet, the bed was so comfortable. We had ample closet space and the livingroom and kitchenette were a great bonus! The doormen were helpful with directions and grabbing a taxi at any time.

Great place to stay and central enough to easily move about the city by taxi, subway or on foot!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Jennifer197367

Dear Jennifer197367,

I hope this finds you well.

Thank you for taking the time to send me your very important feedback on the Benjamin. It is great to hear that you and your husband had a nice birthday celebration. I am delighted that you enjoyed our pillow menu, amenities and our convenient location. Please feel free to contact me directly if I can assist in any future needs.

Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

The Benjamin turned out to be a great choice and location for the week we were in the city. The staff was very nice and accommodating.
Only issue I had was when I first arrived the initial front counter person was not very friendly and would hardly look me in the eye when we spoke. I asked if I could pay more and upgrade my room. She told me there were no rooms available. She continued with letting me know my room was not ready and that I'd have to come back in one or two hours. I went back an hour later to see if my room is ready. The initial lady I spoke with was not there.
The person that was there when I returned ( without mentioning my dissatisfaction with first person) upgraded my room to a very nice suite at no charge! She smiled a lot and we talked a bit. From this point on everyone on staff I encountered was outgoing, friendly, and helpful.
Our room was a 1 BR, full bath, large living area, and kitchenette. We also had a terrace with seating. The bed was comfy and the pillows we chose were perfect. The room had been updated and the living area seating had a full couch, and two comfortable chairs. There was also a work area with desk and chair. Kitchen area had full size fridge and single sink.
Walk to theater district & Times Square in 10 min and same for most fine dining and shopping. Another plus was that the green line metro has a station only 50 yards from hotel.
The Benjamin was perfect or us and I would definitely stay here next trip...especially if for longer than a week.
PS- I forgot..I did have one minor issue regarding a charge and my rate that I didn't catch until after I was home. I called and spoke with manager, Merril Perrier. She was so so friendly and immediately corrected everything and promptly followed up with me...that's service!

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded October 12, 2013

Dear Tom E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience about The Benjamin with us. I sincerely apologize about your initial arrival experience and I am pleased to hear that we were able to turn your stay around. While it is concerning that a charge was not correct on your folio it is nice to hear that Merril was able to take care of it for you in a quick and professional manner. I have shared your comments with my Front Office team. I truly hope that you will join us at The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.