“Great Pick for Business Travelers”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #86 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Chicago, Illinois
“Great Pick for Business Travelers”
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I booked the Benjamin by chance (a Hotwire deal), but I'm glad to have found this midtown gem. I travel for business quite a bit and it's great when a hotel understands their clientele. The little luxuries like the "sleep menu" made a big difference. They provided your choice of pillow (water pillow, temper-pedic, back support) with other amenities (lavender turn-down service, sound machine) and when I came back for a midday nap, they provided an "executive nap kit."

The rooms aren't as contemporary or up to date as some of the other hotels I've stayed in, but they are a nice size and very clean. The staff is overly friendly and accommodating.

The only reason they don't get the full 4-stars is because the rooms are slightly dated and they charge $15 a day for wi-fi. But it's a great option for business travelers who appreciate these perks.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, August 1, 2013
Dear Dana L,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. Our sleep menu is unique and I am pleased that you were able to take advantage of it during your visit. We do have many services that cater to the business traveler while in the city. We have now completed our room refresh program so on your next visit I think that you will find the rooms to be brighter, more modern and a great new look. I look forward to having you with us again on your next visit to New York.

Joe Gaeta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (506)
  • Polish first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed July 27, 2013

We got a great deal on a room at the Benjamin on Hotwire, staying over New Year's Eve, no less!

The room was really large for New York. We were meeting friends who stayed a few blocks away and paid about the same price, and they were shocked by how big the room was. After our NYE activities, we had about 6 people comfortably hanging out in the room for several hours, so I really can't emphasize how pleased I was with the room size.

The bed and pillows were the most comfortable I've ever experienced in my life, to the point that we ordered some for home and now own them. It's that good! They also delivered one of those machines that makes sleep sounds, and I must say I had some of the best sleep of my life in this hotel.

The bar/restaurant affiliated with the hotel was OK but very pricey. However, we did have food delivered once from a nearby sushi place, and they were able to bring it all the way up to our room, so I definitely recommend the delivery option if you want to eat well but save some money. The location is good, convenient to the subway and walking distance from a lot of good bars and restaurants.

Overall, the Benjamin was delightful, and I look forward to staying there again on future trips.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear nafa2,

Thank you for sharing your feedback about your visit to The Benjamin. I am glad that you had a great New Year’s Eve celebration with us and enjoyed the size of your guestroom. Our convenient midtown location is great for local restaurants and delivery options. I do hope that on your next visit you will try The National again as we have changed some menu items since you were with us. I look forward to having you with us again in the near future.

Saratoga, California
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I have been visiting NYC for many years. I've stayed in literally dozens of hotels and recently settled on the Benjamin after several years of Sofitel stays as my go-to hotel. I've stayed in both a regular room and the one-bedroom terrace suites. The rooms are a good size and clean, staff are extremely helpful and courteous, the doormen are fabulous. Other than the living area chairs being a bit dated (but clean), the terrace suites are fine and a great bargain. A most romantic spot for a breakfast....or late dinner!

The location is outstanding for all the sights and shopping, with good access to the Subway, though the area immediately surrounding the hotel isn't all that exciting. With a combination of outstanding service, comfortable rooms, and value pricing within its category, this is hotel is an exceptional choice.

One note: I have ALWAYS found The Benjamin, itself, to be OUTSTANDING in most every way, while the on-site restaurant, The National, not so much. Consistently rude, disinterested service and a seemingly interesting menu that disappointingly falls short on taste. Separately, and after four separate forays, I will never use The National for room service, again. Incorrect menu, snippy service, long wait times, cold food with unannounced substitutions. As a topper, the last room service guy stumbled in wearing blue jeans, sneakers, and a dirty apron. No good.

Room Tip: If choosing a terrace suite, ask for one with the best view possible of The Chrysler Building! :)
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Dear 4yanx,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your visit to The Benjamin. I am glad to hear that we are your new place to stay in the city. I agree that our location is outstanding and puts you close to everything you need in the city. I am also pleased that you enjoy our spacious comfortable rooms. We have just completed our room refresh program with all new furniture and furnishings and have removed all of our older furniture. I am disappointed to hear that your experience at The National is not on par with the rest of the property. The National General Manager Matthew Feddock would like to personally speak with you about your experience. He may be reached directly at 212-715-2409. I look forward to having you with us again upon your return to New York.

Indiana
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Very good location. It's off several blocks from Time Square and Broadway, so you don't have the often crushing tourist traffic. But it's close enough to walk to. There are a lot of taxis near by so it's easy to grab a cab and head to where you need to go.

We had a suite. It was very large. It had a living space with a kitchenette. The bedroom space was behind, separated by a door. The furniture all looked nice. The bathroom was a bit small, but that's pretty common in NYC. Good closet space as well.

There are only two elevators, so if you have a room on a high floor, it can take a little while to get an elevator.

We were on the 23rd floor. No noise issues.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear crimscrem,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am glad to hear that you found our midtown location to be very convenient to get around in the city. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our spacious and comfortable with our kitchenettes and new design. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Benjamin on your next visit to New York.

Toronto
Reviewed July 22, 2013

I stayed here for a few days at the beginning of July 2013 with my husband and 3 kids.

I will start off by saying we had a host of problems, but the way the staff and managers dealt with our issues was professional and swift. Managers Chris and Kimberly were sympathetic and understood that we had legitimate problems. In addition, one of the best door men/bell hops I have ever met at any hotel was Mohamed Khalil.

It was 11pm when we checked in with 3 young kids. Our stay started off by being brought to a room that had a huge stain of what looked like blood on the floor and we discovered it was wet when one of my kids walked on it. This was clearly not great housekeeping since they obviously tried to wash it, but kept it wet yet it was still revolting and obvious. We called the front desk immediately and we were moved to a new room. The new room smelled of paint b/c it was on a floor that was being redone, there was no linen for the pull out sofa, there were not enough towels and pillows for the 5 of us, there was no soap in the room and the mini bar was not stocked. It was just one thing after another at check in. Another issue that continued for the rest of our stay was that we were unable to retrieve our voicemail messages which we knew we had. They had to send the hotel engineer to fix our phone, which he could not. The next day, we were told that they had to deal with the phone company and outside message service to handle the issue, which was still not resolved when we left so we never ended up getting our messages.

We stayed in a one bedroom suite. I cannot complain about the size of the room since it is NYC and it did have a kitchenette and ample closet space. Like other reviewers, I will say that the air conditioning was shockingly loud and kept on going on and off. We were on the 7th or 9th floor and we completely heard the outside traffic noise. However, this does not bother us and I just think it is part of the charm of a city like NYC. If you like quiet, you should ask for a higher floor (or do not stay here). The hotel itself also has thin walls in between the hallway and rooms since you could clearly hear what people are saying in their rooms.

Some people have said that they find the pump bottles of shampoo, conditioner and shower gel in the shower tacky, but I think it is great for the hotel not to have to waste so many little plastic bottles.

This hotel did not at all meet our 4 star expectations and I am not really sure what would make us stay here again with so many choices in NYC.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear staceye2003,

Thank you for your visit to The Benjamin and providing us feedback about your visit. I am disappointed in the issues that arose during your visit. I know that you spoke my Front Office team about the issues and had them resolved while with us. If you would like to personally speak about your stay, please do not hesitate to reach out to me directly at 212-715-2523. I hope to welcome you back on your next visit to New York.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed July 20, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at the Benjamin while visiting friends in Chelsea and had a fantastic time. Not only was the room surprisingly big for a new york hotel the location was perfect as we were only there for a couple days and wanted to visit all of NYC's attractions. What really made this trip stand out with Ricky! It would have taken us hours trying to figure out how to navigate the city and hit all the sites during our short stay, but Ricky was so patient with us and really went above and beyond. It wasn't just highlighting the usual nearby sites we could walk to, we finished that in the first day...Ricky helped us plan our second day as well - we went to central park, soho, highline, statue of liberty, and shopped in the meatpacking district. He told us exactly which subways to take, gave delicious restaurant recommendations, and advised us on the best order to check these out so we could make the most of our time before anything closed. All in all it was a full and fun trip, and thanks to the Benjamin we had an amazing experience. We can't wait to go back!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Fleiput,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am so pleased that our associates were able to make your trip enjoyable. There is a lot to do and see in the city and I am pleased to hear that we made it easy to navigate. I have passed along your kind comments to my team. I look forward to having you with us again when you visit New York.

Reviewed July 20, 2013 via mobile

I'm 36-years-old with 4 small children and battling stage-4 cancer. My wife & I travel to NYC once a month for treatments & surgeries. The Benjamin is the ONLY place we stay! The rooms are fantastic, the staff have gone out of their way to make us comfortable, & this is the only hotel where I sleep better than at home. On one of our trips, we brought our 2 oldest children to experience the city. The Benjamin staff made them feel very special with milk & cookies, children's robes & a stuffed owl for each of them. The Benjamin is worth far more than the price, and it's become our home away from home!! Thank you, Benjamin staff!!

Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robby O
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Robby O,

Thank you for your visits to The Benjamin and sharing your feedback with us. It is great to hear that we are your home away from home during your visits to New York. I am pleased to hear that our associates are able to make you comfortable during difficult trips to New York. I have passed along your nice comments to our team. If I may be of any assistance during your next visit to New York please contact me.

Joe Gaeta,