“Best Welcome Ever!”

The Benjamin
Ranked #101 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 23, 2013

If Mohammed is any indication of the hospitality offered at this hotel, then I will return to stay here next time we are in NYC! After a long day of driving, then being stuck in the Lincoln Tunnel at 5-6 PM on a Friday, and then being unable to locate our hotel, we were FRIED! He greeted us with great liveliness when we pulled over in front of the Benjamin to ask directions to the W hotel. His enthusiasm was only slightly dampened when we said we were not staying there, but he graciously helped us out, and delivered us to the lobby of the W, bags and all! We will definitely stay at the Benjamin next time in NYC, just because of Mohammed's impressive service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear Maureen P,

Thank you for your very kind words about Mohammed. He is a great representation of our team at The Benjamin. I have shared your review with him. He remembered assisting you. Mohammed and our entire team are looking forward to having you with us at The Benjamin during your next visit to New York.

All the Best,

Joe Gaeta

Write a ReviewReviews (2,801)

Reviewed June 22, 2013

we stayed in this hotel on our first visit to NYC, we had heard that hotel rooms in NYC could be on the small side, but not at the Benjamin, the hotel room and bathroom were a very generous size and clean and the lovely Elemis products were a nice treat! We stayed on the 10th floor, the view was not great (back of another hotel) but the room, service and location made up for it!!
We did not eat in the hotel restaurant, but we did have breakfast at the luncheonette diner which was a couple of doors down from the Benjamin and i would definitely recommend for breakfast.
we would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend to anyone who likes spacious rooms, quality service and a great central location.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo

Dear Darcy60,

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at The Benjamin. Our hotel rooms are generously sized for New York standards and our Elemis products were chosen for their high quality and luxurious feel. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our service and location. I am sorry to hear that you were not able to enjoy the great cuisine The National has become known for and I hope you will dine with us on your next visit to New York. I look forward to having you with us again at The Benjamin.

Best,

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I've stayed at the W, Westin, 4 Seasons, Crowne Plaza, Sheraton, etc while traveling in and around the city. This was the best experience. From the front door staff, to check in, to the sleep concierge, to the front concierge, to the fantastic restaurant and bar. Everyone was fantastic. We had a large suite with a great view. The noise level was very low for the city. The beds were fantastic. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Jon C

Dear bozley4,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be sure to share your kind words about our service with my team. I am also pleased to hear that you enjoyed the size of your room (large for New York standards) and our very comfortable beds. I look forward to having you with us again during your next trip to the city.

All the best!!

Reviewed June 19, 2013

We normally stay at The W--Union Square, but to save a buck or 2 this trip (really, how often are you actually in the room?) we thought The Benjamin looked promising. It is part of the same chain as The James. The James Chicago is great. The James Royal Palm in South Beach is as well. Both exceeded expectations.
The Benjamin: not so much.
Front desk staff was polite. Concierge knowledgable. Beyond that, the service left much to be desired. Ice maker in room was broken upon arrival Thursday afternoon. Bell hop told us he would send maintenance up---- never happened. Friday a.m. We ordered room service. Dropped $100+ for 2 meals. Coffee was Luke warm. They forgot butter and jam for toast. 20 minutes later The National restaurant/Benjamin finally rectified the situation by bringing the butter and jam, but no hot coffee. By that time, breakfasts had gotten cold. I certainly expected better based on the dough we dropped for room service.
And back to that ice maker. Later that day, I called guest services to have some ice brought up. 20 minutes later-- no ice. politely called again to remind. 20 minutes later-- no ice. Politely called for a 3rd time. After 50 minutes I decided to email customer service at the hotel to relay my frustration about breakfast and the ice incident. Never received a response. Was never called by front desk or guest services to address any issues. Ice finally arrived 1 hour after my request.
You get what you pay for as the adage goes.

Room Tip: Make sure room 1408 has a working ice maker.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Dear jimmyk4444,

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. We are looking further into this matter as it is quite the abnormality at our hotel. Please email me directly at jgaeta@thebenjamin.com. I would like to further discuss your stay with us.

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a find, a warm and friendly hotel in the middle of Manhattan, the staff quickly knows your name, the doorman offers you an umbrella if its raining. Excellent service in a geat location, you will not find better......

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Thank Mr. And Mrs. Jo... R
The_Benjamin, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Jo… R,

Thank you for your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am glad that you found our property to be a warm and friendly hotel in great location. Our associates go to great lengths to know our guests and I am pleased that you were able to experience that while with us. I look forward to welcoming you back to The Benjamin in the near future.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel is lovely and, while historic, provides all the modern amenities. The staff was exceptionally friendly and service oriented. The location is perfect to get around anywhere in the city. We love The Benjamin!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Theresa I,

I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed our rooms, amenities and location. In the next few weeks we will be renovating our guest rooms to make them even more comfortable with a nice contemporary look and feel. If I may be of any assistance with a future reservation, please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Reviewed June 17, 2013

Rooms were great but the service was exceptional. Doormen were fabulous each time we came and went, giving directions, hailing taxis, etc. Front desk gave superior service with every request. Linens were nice, bathroom good size, nice closets and very clean. Location is excellent and I thought it was well priced for its location and service.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family

Dear Ruth G,

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent visit to The Benjamin. I am also pleased that you enjoyed our guest rooms and our great location in the city. I appreciate your very kind remarks about our associates. Our team takes great pride in delivering exceptional service and I will pass along your kind words to them. Please contact me directly if I may be any assistance on a future reservation with us.

Best Regards,