“Excellent service, great stay”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #100 of 470 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I have previously stayed at The Benjamin on business trips but this was my first time staying with my family and small dog on a personal trip. We booked a one bedroom suite and called to sign up for the "Dream Dog" program. Upon arrival, there was a beautiful small dog bed and food and water bowls awaiting my pup. No pet fees, deposits, or other charges (compared to other hotels that charge $150/night for my 12 lb, non-shedding potty-trained dog). Everyone was super nice to my dog including the front desk staff who gave him treats, the bellmen, doormen, lady who checked on the mini bar, etc. A+ for dog-friendliness!!

The hotel rooms themselves are comfortable - nothing super fancy but extremely comfy bed, nice bathroom, and our suite had a great little kitchen with full-size fridge, dishes, silverware, etc. What really stood out was the service. I was unable to drive up to the hotel the night of my arrival due to barricades around the block (the President staying at a hotel across the street), and after schlepping 5 blocks with luggage and my dog, the front desk gal took pity on me and gave me a coupon for 2 complimentary drinks. The front desk staff was accommodating without fail. We had a question about a movie rental and the front desk told us we could repurchase the movie and they would comp it for us. They answered my many questions about wireless (they charge $14.95 for 24 hours of very slow wireless -- my only complaint since it seems archaic in this day and age to charge for wireless). The room service folks were extremely nice and helpful. The room service food was AMAZING (from The National restaurant - has some good vegetarian options). The pillow delivery guy was very nice, someone who fixed the TV for us was very nice -- we never once felt like we weren't receiving amazing and sincere service.

Our room was on the 14th floor overlooking Lexington which was rather noisy despite the soundproof windows - on other stays, I've requested a room not on Lexington and it was more peaceful. The AC units had the option of keeping a fan on "high" all the time which really helped with white noise throughout the suite. The pillows we ordered from the Sleep Concierge/pillow menu were really amazing and the bed very comfy.

Overall, this was a very lovely place to stay, super economical if traveling with a small dog, and simply great service. We will be back!

Room Tip: Request a room not on Lexington
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank travelgal30
jgaeta, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear travelgal30,

I hope this finds you well. I wanted to thank you for your glowing review. I am so happy that you, your family and your dog had a nice stay with us. We really do love our two and four legged friends. I do agree with you that our service really does stand out. I am very fortunate to have such a caring team. The hotel will go going through a few changes in the coming months. We will be improving our internet access by the end of this month, and during the month of July we will be conducting a multi-million dollar rooms refresh by famed hotel designer Lauren Rottet. The rooms and suites will have a bright new feeling to them with many upgrades.
Please let me know when I can help you with any of your requests for future stays. I will make a note in your profile that you like a high floor not on Lexington Avenue.

Joe Gaeta

Write a ReviewReviews (2,773)

Reviewed May 14, 2013

Have stayed at this hotel a few times. This is a great hotel in a great location. My husband, who is a smoker, was in heaven when I found this hotel which has it's own private balcony off our corner suite. A balcony in NYC. Pretty cool! Also has a kitchenette. The room is a little outdated, but overall.. couldn't ask for more. Great views too.. I would definitley stay here again! :)

Room Tip: Ask for corner room with the balcony!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear tracysimpson1,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your very important feedback. I am delighted that you and your husband enjoyed everything. I wanted to let you know that during the month of July we will be doing a multi-million dollar rooms and suites refresh by famed hotel designer Lauren Rottet. We are very excited as we will have a fresh new look that will complement our recently renovated lobby. Please let me know if I can ever help with a future reservation.

Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Benjamin Hotel, where I've stayed many times, drives me nuts with its inconsistency. While the rooms are spacious and have the convenience of kitchenettes, they are showing wear and tear.

On this recent trip, I was given an upgrade (using eStandby, a fairly new feature on the hotel's online booking site). For $20/night, I would be upgraded to a balcony room, if available. I was charged $40/night mistakenly, and the front desk people said that would be remedied. Two days later, when I was checking out, it was still wrong. (Beware, check your bill carefully!) That's #1. #2: The balcony was littered with cigarette butts. I told the front desk that Housekeeping might want to include that on their list of things to clean. #3: After having lunch and returning to the hotel on my second day, I opened the door to discover that my bed was made but there were towels on the floor and the bathroom was yet to be cleaned. I think someone in Housek. needed supplies and left my room to get them. It was just a bit disconcerting.

I have to pause (before my comments about the restaurant) to say that, unfailingly, the people at the hotel are kind and polite. Many have been there for years, and when they say, "Welcome back!" they do it with feeling.

OK, now on to The National. This is the hotel restaurant, made famous when Geoffrey Zakarian became an Iron Chef on tv. It's quite stylish and the food is yummy. The service, at breakfast (which is when I eat there) can be amateur. I (solo diner) was put at a table under the curving stairwell and felt weirdly on display. Additionally, the back of the stairwell had dustballs the size of Kitchen Stadium! I could have complained, but decided to live with it. No waiter, until I snagged a young man and asked him to please take my simple order of coffee and toast. Coffee came, but toast took about another 10 minutes. I was pleasant, but obviously uncomfortable. A manager comped my breakfast (I didn't ask for this) which was very nice. This is another example of the conudrum that is The Benjamin. Nice people who surprise you with kindness, but inconsistent waitstaff; a rose on Mother's Day but a balcony
with cig butts; attentive door staff but billing errors.

And last, I say: Benjamin Hotel, it seems that you put a lot of time, effort and money into your
restaurant and have ignored your rooms! Put a little care into some of the more worn places,
including those kitchenettes which could use some updating. Your location is central and your new lobby is lovely. Your staff are sweet. Just put a little more TLC into the details and I'll love you again!

Room Tip: Don't let them give you room #1804! Although it's a balcony room, it has a wall of windows t...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
jgaeta, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear AmesCT,

I hope this finds you well. Thank you so much for taking the time to send us your very important feedback and comments. I greatly appreciate it.
The entire staff and management team is very passionate about executing fabulous service. I have address the concerns that you brought to my attention and do agree with you that we need to be more consistent in our services.
I would also like to let you know that we will be conducting a multi-million dollar rooms refresh during the month of July. All rooms and suites will have a beautiful fresh look designed by Lauren Rottet.
I do agree with you that we really have a nice team that is kind and polite. I hope that you come back home to the Benjamin.
Please let me know if I can assist in a future reservation.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The room was beautiful and the staff was great and very helpful. The concierge gave us a Great recommendation for dinner. When we got there, we received a free appetizer, complementary of the concierge. Good toiletries too. The door man was very nice and friendly. The breakfast place next door is nice too. We would definitely go there again.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
jgaeta, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded May 13, 2013

Dear mushball,

Thank you so much for taking the time to post this and give us your very important feedback. I am delighted that you enjoyed your say. I agree with you that the staff is great. I am very lucky to have such a strong team.
Please let me know if I can every help with a future stay.

Reviewed May 12, 2013

My wife and I live in Chicago but have two adult children and a one year old grandson living on the upper east side, and as a result visit New York quite frequently. I surf the web looking for the best deals on rates, and have often found the Benjamin in the mix for good rates on many levels. Their facilities are great, with good sized rooms, and even better if you move into a suite. Their health center also satisfies my needs quite well.

However, it is their customer service that really distinguishes the the Benjamin from the other hotels we have stayed at, with their willingness to go the extra step to make a difference, fix a problem, or find a solution to an upcoming trip dilemma.

The first time I knew this place was special was when we came for St. Patrick Day weekend and several things did not go quite right in the hotel and restaurant, and Merril the Front Desk Manager stepped in and adjusted our bill, upgraded our room for our next visit, and promised to take a personal interest in our future stays. That she did.

Another point in case, this weekend we planned to come to New York to babysit overnight on Saturday, thus needing to book rooms only on Friday and Sunday, which can often be difficult to get rooms for on busy weekends, let alone a good rate. So when we stayed at the Benjamin last month (in the upgrade provided by Merril), she not only took care of setting up the reservation for us at a great rate, she treated us in a first class manner with extras we didn't expect, that again spoke volumes about attention to detail and care for the little things that make a difference in a customer's experience.

Our positive experience has been across the board with the staff here from Khady and all of the other friendly staff at the front desk, to the doormen, to Joe Gaeta the manager, whom I've never met, yet who left us a beautiful fruit bowl upon our return with a note thanking us for coming back once again. He has trained his staff well, and it has paid off. We will continue coming back to the Benjamin because with so many choices in New York, anyone can have a nice room, but those are easy to forget. A good or bad experience with staff are much more powerful, and we have chosen to bypass closer hotels to where are kids live to stay at the Benjamin because our experience is more pleasant.

Room Tip: The higher the room the quieter it is, and the suites are really delightful. However the single room...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank fritomisto

Dear fritomisto,

I hope this finds you well and you had a safe journey back to Chicago. I would like to thank you for taking the time to post this very complimentary feedback. I do agree with you that Merril, Khady and the team go above and beyond to make sure our guests have a nice experience. I am very lucky to have such a dedicated team. We will soon have a renovated room product and fitness center so I do hope to see you soon.
Please contact me directly if I may assist in helping with a future reservation.

Reviewed May 10, 2013

this hotel is nice, clean and has a mini kitchen in each room which is great. The fridge is large and there is a microwave and kitchen supplies. We stayed on the 5th floor facing the road and I had to buy ear plugs to sleep. Also the elevators where so slow that we took the stairs most days. If it wasn't for these two items, I would give this a 5 star rating. The rooms are very spacious and the bed linens were really nice. Overall a great hotel if you can get a good price on it. Ask for a room on a higher floor and facing away from the street.

Room Tip: something on a higher floor and an inward facing room - otherwise it will be loud.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends

Dear MegMarTravel,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your very important feedback. I truly appreciate it. I am delighted that you had a nice stay and wanted to let you know that we are addressing the elevator slowness. When you do return to the Benjamin please let me help you with the reservation. I will make sure that we note in your profile to have a high floor.
Once again, thank you for staying with us and giving us your feedback, and please let me know if I can assist in help making a future reservation.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I stayed at the Benjamin for a week-long vacation in New York
- Pretty good location: can walk to Central Park and all of Midtown; very close to a subway mini-hub (intersection of green/6, orange and blue lines) to go downtown, parts of uptown and Brooklyn directly, which is very convenient
- A bit of old fashioned decor, in both the lobby and the room; there's a bit of antiquated feeling in the room (which, as many travelers would reckon, is often what's considered "upscale" is East Coast establishments)
- Not that much of light exposure, unless you are in a very high floor: this is Midtown, so, plenty of high-rises in the surrounding blocks; do consider this factor if light exposure is important for you (it may not be in case you spent the whole day outside your room anyway)
- All rooms come equipped with a kitchenette

All in all, it's a fairly decent hotel, gets the job done, no frills, but I was not wow'ed. At a good price, it will be a good choice because of location

Room Tip: Go for high floor, obviously (if possible)
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
jgaeta, General Manager at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear L C,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. I do appreciate your comments and would like to let you know that the Benjamin will be going through a rooms refresh in July. We will be brightening the rooms and suites with new lighting, furniture, drapery and art work. The rooms and suites will have a classic yet brighter feel to them. We are all very excited.
Please let me know if I can ever be of any help in the future.