“Fantastic experience”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
“Fantastic experience”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We have just come back from a mini-break in New York, where we stayed at The Benjamin. What a fantastic hotel! As it was our 25th anniversary, we were presented with a bottle of champagne and strawberries which were a lovely surprise. The staff couldn't do enough for us and the suite was spotless and well laid out. The kitchen area was compact but had everything you could possibly need; the lounge area was spacious with its own tv which is great when you and your partner are working on different time zones! and the bedroom had another tv with the biggest bed we have ever seen. It is really well located, being just a short walk from the subway, the open top bus pick-up and lots of restaurants. The breakfast bagels at the cafe two doors away were great and the little mini-mart next door stocked plenty of wine and nibbles. We had friends who stayed at the Waldorf but they thought our hotel was much better and are already planning a trip back to New York....at The Benjamin. I wouldn't hesitate in booking this hotel again.

Room Tip: We had a corner suite which is great to see all of the views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Whites_13

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (528)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Santa Monica, California
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Okay I admit I can be a tough customer. I'm in hospitality and worked in hotel management for both Four Seasons and Fairmont Hotels for a number of years, so I can be a bit picky, but I’m also realistic for what I’m paying for. I also find that treating the staff with a little respect back doesn’t hurt either.

For me this has all the makings of a great hotel experience without the sky high rates. First of all the location is great, you can walk to Central Park, Times Square, Rockefeller Center, 5th Avenue etc. Check in was warm and courteous without being stiff. Sarah, the concierge, made it a truly memorable weekend for me and my family, upgrading my two sister’s room and sending me an amenity for my birthday. Again, charming without pretention (if you are looking for pretention, look somewhere else as this hotel is not for you).

The rooms have an old style New York feel with modern amenities and they range in sizes. Ours was a corner with a great street view and my sisters were higher up with an unobstructed city view. Other than cleanliness and service the most important thing to me is the bed....and these are amazingly comfortable!

Equally impressive was their restaurant, The National. Robin, our server was top notch and the food was outstanding! The oysters, sea bass and short rib were fantastic and the dessert was delicious. A big thumbs up to the chef and culinary team. If a good restaurant is a reflection of the management then Nobel deserves a promotion. He was attentive, gracious and went above and beyond to ensure that we have a great experience. Being in hospitality I couldn’t help but notice how attentive he was for all the guests around us.

I also want to give a shout out to housekeeping and front desk staff. Extra sheets….no problem, extra pillow…no problem, late checkout…no problem. Bottom line, this is a great little hotel with outstanding service, comfortable rooms and amazing food. Since my partners new business is around the corner we will no doubt be regulars during business and pleasure trips.

My hat is off to the General Manager and his staff…..well done!

1 Thank ScotTravler
Huntington, West Virginia, United States
Reviewed February 24, 2013

This hotel did not meet any of our expectations. The hotel was understaffed, told us we could have a roll away but then could not provide for us. Our room smelled of smoke. In the middle of the night there was a party going on the floor above us until 4 in the morning even with our phone call security did not get it under controlled.

Room Tip: Do not go HERE!!
2 Thank Katherine M
Fayetteville, AR
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at the Benjamin. My daughter just turned 21 so it was a shopping trip in her honor - I booked the one-bedroom suite so we would have some space and a second bed and 2 tvs - it was one of the few well-located hotels with a reasonably priced one-bedroom (if you are looking for one-bedroom suites, also try the Fitzpatrick Manhattan and the other Affinia hotels). The pros: both the living room and bedroom were a good size; clean and nicely furnished; sofa bed comfortable; neat little kitchenette with a nicely stocked fridge (watch the prices); bed very comfy, white crisp linens; bath small - I've seen smaller in NY though- but marble and was nice enough; the windows open, which I like; good walls - didn't hear a peep from next door; front desk staff consistently nice and helpful; concierge very nice; restaurant downstairs very good - we ate there for breakfast (home made pastries wonderful) - there was a small band playing in the restaurant one evening - a few people dancing - we just peeked in on our way back to the room (the restaurant has a door access right next to the elevators) and the band was terrific. Was fun to hear live music filter through the hotel lobby. Also, an excellent location for many things. Easy walk to 5th ave shops and the park. My daughter had her nails done at the spa on the 3rd floor - so convenient - she said they were friendly and nice - not snooty. Only a couple of cons - the first card we were given did not open the door, so we had to go back downstairs and correct that. No biggie though - she took care of it promptly and with a smile. Also the sofa bed was not made up and we had to call down for linens - none in the closets (cost a tip); when we ordered a movie it would not work so we had to call for help - but they were there promptly and it was fixed. (of course I felt obligated to tip the technician so it cost me another $5). Free internet would have been nice; and maybe affordable bottles of water. In spite of these minor problems, we enjoyed the hotel and I would stay again at the Benjamin. I've stayed at many NY hotels - I am not a big fan of chains - when I'm in NY I like my room to feel like NY - the Benjamin does that. I will add this to my list of other recommendations (I also like the Warwick, the Blakely...and if you are looking for budget prices but still quite nice rooms, try the Stanford). Thank you Benjamin staff for a very nice stay. I look forward to a future visit.

3 Thank tbevis
california
Reviewed February 20, 2013

On a recent trip to New York we stayed at The Benjamin hotel on Lexington and 50th....which is a great location for accessing Central Park, 5th Avenue shops, restaurants etc. We wanted to upgrade our room as our daughter and her boyfriend were meeting us for dinner and we wanted a living room area to go back to and sit around and visit afterwards. David, at the front desk, was fabulous in his efforts to try to accommodate us. Unfortunately our last minute request could not be met so they sent us over to a sister hotel which did have a suite available....no extra charge. We returned the next night to the Benjamin and were treated royally because of the inconvenience. Cannot speak highly enough about how we were treated there and the wonderful experience we had. We dined at the restaurant attached to the hotel...The National....and thoroughly enjoyed that too. Going forward, the Benjamin will be our home away from home in NY.

1 Thank billiejoe
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Very nice hotel, excellent location, beautifully appointed and spacious room on 19th floor, quiet, impeccable bathroom, nice reception staff. Didn't eat or drink at the hotel so don't have comments on that.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Connecticut
Reviewed February 20, 2013

I travel to NYC frequently, but since it is so close, staying overnight is a rare treat. The Benjamin is located only a few blocks from Grand Central and is right around the corner from the subway, making it a very convenient location.
Check in was easy, and we were given room 2305. Wonderful view of the city from our room. The amenities were great, having Elemis spa products available in the bathroom was nice. The room is small, but that is very common for NYC hotel rooms where space is at a premium. It wasn't the smallest room I've ever stayed in, so fro NYC it was a comfortable room.
The room was clean and the lobby was gorgeous.

The only reason that this hotel didn't get a 5 star review from me, was an issue at check-out. Upon check out, we asked if the hotel could hold out bags, so we could go out to lunch & return later to pick them up. We've done this before at many hotels without a problem. The person at the front desk said it was no problem and that she would get a bellhop for us. After waiting for 20 minutes (at which point the front desk person seemed to ignore us), we just took our bags & left. It should not have taken that long for someone to get us a tag for our luggage.We ending up schlepping our bags around the city.

I would stay here again. It was a very nice hotel, but was just disappointed at the front desk at checkout.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple