“NYC's best hotel midtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #72 of 467 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Boston, Massachusetts
“NYC's best hotel midtown”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2013

I travel to NYC at least once a month and have tried staying at many different hotels. I often try to stay at a Starwood hotel to earn points but after my most recent stay at the Benjamin, I will never choose to stay anywhere else.

The hotel is very clean, the bath products are top quality, and the service is excellent. Not only that, I got a complementary upgrade and it made my week!

It's so nice to have a place that feels as comfortable as your own home, especially in a busy place like NYC.

I would recommend the Benjamin to anyone. Thanks for such a great stay!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Polish first
Chichester, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here for 5 nights and had a great time. We were able to check in slightly early and the room was very spacious, with a small kithcen and large marble bathroom. We had a small issue with the heating in the room, but reception sorted this almost immediately. The location of The Benjamin is very convenient as it is just a short walk from Grand Central, The Rockafellar centre, the MOMA etc. There are also 2 underground stations near by. Overall, a great hotel and would recommend for a city break to NYC.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Chichester525
San Diego, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2013

Our travel agent booked us two rooms. We arrived @ 3:15pm (Check in is at 3pm) and were told that we would have two rooms on the 15th floor but one of our rooms wasn't ready due to the late departure of the previous guests. The receptionist suggested we go for a walk and when we return the rooms would be ready. Returned an hour later and the rooms were still not ready. We were hungry so went for an early dinner and returned @ 6:15pm and still...no rooms! There were other guests also waiting for their rooms. The worse part was that the reception staff kept shifting their story about why the rooms weren't ready. Most of the time they were hiding in the back office. Eventually the duty manager came out and told us that the original rooms that were assigned to us were not available and that he could offer us one room on the 4th floor (which was ready) and one on the 14th floor (which wasn't ready). He couldn't tell us when the one of the 14th floor would be ready but in the mean time we could wait in the room on the 4th floor.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines "hospitality" as "friendly and generous reception of guests or strangers". Being in the hospitality business, that is what one would expect from the reception at any hotel. The duty manager was the polar opposite. He was rude, condescending and dishonest.
With the rooms still not sorted out at 6:30pm we made a call to the Marriott on the next block. Within 10 minutes we were comfortably checked in to two rooms there. That is hospitality!
By the way, The Zakarian Restaurant has a "B" rating for hygiene (see picture below). The only non "A" rating we saw during our entire stay in the City.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Debra R
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2013

I really like this hotel. The location was very convenient and the staff was great. I was in New York to see a taping of the Jimmy Fallon Show and it was right down the street. There was also 2 skating rinks(30 Rock and Bryant Park) and a recreational center close. Not to mention, down the street from Saks, Lord and Taylor and a host of other shopping venures. I walked to the Empire State building, saw the Chrysler building and took in the sights of 5th Avenue. Grand Central station is the closes train station, but Penn Station is not that far away.

My hotel room was very cute and comfortable. I loved the bed, the bathroom was a bit small, but that didn't hurt my stay...I also had a good view.

The hotel staff was consistently very helpful and friendly. The bellpersons were excellent and very willing to help.

I would stay at this hotel again...no question.

Room Tip: I think any room you get will be very nice. Higher floors have less street noise.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

We did a B&B package that included breakfast in Food Network Star Geoffrey Zakarian's restaurant The National, housed in the lobby of the building with interior access. The price for a big, comfy, clean room AND that breakfast was, frankly, unbeatable. Great location at 50th and Lex.

I would stay here again for that breakfast. Oh my. I tried something different each morning, and everything was delightful. My two favorites: the flank steak omelet, which included beets, kale and truffle horseradish cream - so yummy; and the pork belly benedict. The coffee was good, but we New Englanders weren't down with the whole milk-instead-of-cream thing and had to ask specifically for cream each morning, sometimes more than once when milk was brought out again. The fruit salad included figs. FIGS. Nice touch.

Oh, and we got the same server a couple of days in a row, and he remembered exactly how each of us takes our coffee (he wasn't the milk/cream offender of the previous paragraph). When the boys repeated a steak & eggs order from the day before (yes - indulgent - steak for breakfast, and it was all included in our package!), he remembered how they like their steak cooked. I was impressed. He was happy to answer questions about the menu, and attentive without being weirdly over-attentive. In short, he was terrific in every way. Wish I wrote his name down - I should've sent a letter about him. You don't get good service like that very often anymore.

The room -- I'm mixed. It's a BIG room, and not just for New York. I was shocked, actually. High ceilings, lots of open floor space, a separate little kitchenette -- very nice. The bed is uber comfy and the bathroom is outfitted well. The only issue was I think our bathroom floor had a direct route to hell. Was it supposed to be heated? Because they kinda overdid it. We mentioned it to the front desk (I'll get to them later), who said they'd turn the temp down, but we still had to lay towels down and wear socks just to walk on it and not get scorched.

I should note -- we traveled with friends who stayed about 12 floors up from us and their bathroom floor was fine. No brimstone for them. Could it have been the extra altitude acting as a buffer? Maybe you should request a higher floor.

The service was so-so. Their sleep menu was a gimmick that I'm not too proud to admit appealed to me. I'm the nerd who excitedly went online to pick out my sleep mask, pillows, and such. Only problem is - they didn't get it right once. And no turn down service. Bummer.

The front desk and concierge only seemed to care about 50% of the time that they got our wishes 50% right.

All that said, the location, comfy bed, and delicious breakfast might lure me back. We'll see.

PS - Because its on the east side on a small one-way side street heading farther east, it can be tricky to get a cab, even for the bellmen, especially during high demand times. I would recommend walking around the corner to the Waldorf Astoria or the W hotel (they face each other) and trying it on your own if The Benjamin bellman tells you its gonna be a while. Much more cab traffic heading south on Lex than east on 50th.

Room Tip: Test your bathroom floor on check-in. If you have to salve your feet, ask for a different room. It...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenster8
Washington, DC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I really like The Benjamin. It's very comfortable with spacious rooms and kitchenettes. The National restaurant is also pretty good. Staff is great. The bed and bathroom were especially. Bed comfortable and bathroom large with luxe fixtures and terrific lighting.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

Found a great deal on Priceline for a spontaneous overnight on a Fri night....what a nice surprise to be upgraded at check-in to a 1-bed suite with a separate mini kitchenette and living room! We immediately felt welcomed and special. :) Super comfy King bed....I ordered a buckwheat pillow and my hubby the memory foam. I also asked for lavender scent on our sheets....so nice to come "home" to that. Room temp was comfy and the room was spacious and elegant. Just being picky now...but I wish the suite had a soaking/jacuzzi tub...bathroom was small with a standard tub...but very clean with nice amenities. Shades completely blocked out light and the hotel itself was very quiet (on 17th floor), but our bedroom window faced Lexington....which somehow seemed louder than our last stay right in Times Square. I can handle regular city noise (cars beeping at all hours and random siren), but woke up often here to different types of sirens, cars beeping, loading dock/construction sounds, and trucks making all kinds of noises...earplugs helped. My husband (a deep sleeper) woke up a couple of times...fell right back to sleep. Not the hotel's fault obviously....but next time I would definitely ask for a room away from Lex. Hubby used the gym (good size and nice variety of equipment) while I lounged in the comfy bed...then he ran across the street for Starbucks breakfast in bed. We were going to go out for breakfast, but it was so cold out and the bed so inviting. Hotel valet parking was $55 overnight....we parked 1 block over for $42 (with a coupon from the parking garage's website).

• Stayed February 2013