First, let me tell you that this is a lovely hotel and the staff were all very professional and helpful. The problem was that I had reserved a room, well in advance, with 2 queen sized beds and a view of the street (as opposed to a view of rooftops and parking garages). It was a reunion weekend with 4 middle aged girlfriends.....we needed to stay within a budget but still wanted as much sleeping room as possible.
I confirmed the reservation within a few days of arrival. We arrived on time and began our busy NYC adventures. When we returned to the room later in the evening, we all looked at each other and said, "Hey!! These aren't QUEEN beds!! They're FULL sized!" Now, believe me, we are very close friends, but not quite THAT close!!! I called the desk and explained the problem. There were no rooms available with queen beds, I was told, but could check again in the morning. Ugh! We were offered vouchers for free breakfast, which was nice, but we were still disappointed that we didn't get what we reserved. I'm sure the beds are wonderful for one person or a couple, but for women trying to get a good nights rest and still keep "appropriate space between bodies", we all agreed that none of us had a good nights sleep at all!!
After returning to the room late Sat. afternoon, we were surprised to find the room had not been touched!! Call placed and housekeeping stopped by with clean towels and did a quick clean. We did not need the linens changed, but we did expect the basics to have been done while we were out! We had some difficulty trying to figure out how to get the proper temp. in the room. It was so hot! When we turned the fan on, it didn't make too much difference. The A/C cooled the room, but then got too cold! We felt like Goldilocks!!
We appreciated the kitchen area but had to call for cups and glasses. We agreed it would have been a good idea to have a little garbage bin under the sink as we did not feel right putting the wet tea bags into the wastebasket. The shower was excellent and the towels nice and fluffy. The huge mirror in the bathroom lights up like Broadway!
The Doormen were wonderful!! They have the perfect voices for hailing cabs and we didn't wait more than a few seconds!!!
Our weekend in NYC was great, but we really felt let down by not getting what we expected after making reservations so far in advance. We kind of felt like a bait and switch had occurred. I don't know how to make sure this doesn't happen again, but I won't let it stop me from returning to such a nice hotel when it's just ME!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Midtown, The Benjamin offers 209 newly re-designed terrace suites, one-bedroom suites and guest rooms featuring kitchenettes and Signature Benjamin Beds. Originally designed as a residential-style hotel with wind-swept terraces to entertain, the Neo-Romanesque style edifice, a New York City Landmark, exudes the ambiance of a private club. The Benjamin was fully redesigned by Interior Designer Lauren Rottet and restyled in partnership with Benjamin Sleep Expert, Dr. Rebbeca Robbins, to bolster the residential appeal and create an ambiance of relaxed sophistication. Housed within the hotel is The National Bar & Dining Rooms with a menu of modern bistro dishes by Chef Geoffrey Zakarian. The Benjamin features a Pillow Menu and bedtime snacks. Families enjoy Winks' Kidzzz Club during their stay. Hotel Services Fee is $30 plus tax per room per night and provides you with $10 daily credit toward The National, Wireless Internet, 24/7 access to our Fitness Center ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, HotelPower, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Agoda, Priceline, HotelsforEveryone, Hotwire, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly, Cancelon and TripOnline SA so you can book your The Benjamin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Benjamin Hotel New York City
- Benjamin New York City
- Benjamin Hotel New York City