“Things did not go as planned.....”
Review of The Benjamin

The Benjamin
Ranked #100 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 11, 2012

First, let me tell you that this is a lovely hotel and the staff were all very professional and helpful. The problem was that I had reserved a room, well in advance, with 2 queen sized beds and a view of the street (as opposed to a view of rooftops and parking garages). It was a reunion weekend with 4 middle aged girlfriends.....we needed to stay within a budget but still wanted as much sleeping room as possible.
I confirmed the reservation within a few days of arrival. We arrived on time and began our busy NYC adventures. When we returned to the room later in the evening, we all looked at each other and said, "Hey!! These aren't QUEEN beds!! They're FULL sized!" Now, believe me, we are very close friends, but not quite THAT close!!! I called the desk and explained the problem. There were no rooms available with queen beds, I was told, but could check again in the morning. Ugh! We were offered vouchers for free breakfast, which was nice, but we were still disappointed that we didn't get what we reserved. I'm sure the beds are wonderful for one person or a couple, but for women trying to get a good nights rest and still keep "appropriate space between bodies", we all agreed that none of us had a good nights sleep at all!!
After returning to the room late Sat. afternoon, we were surprised to find the room had not been touched!! Call placed and housekeeping stopped by with clean towels and did a quick clean. We did not need the linens changed, but we did expect the basics to have been done while we were out! We had some difficulty trying to figure out how to get the proper temp. in the room. It was so hot! When we turned the fan on, it didn't make too much difference. The A/C cooled the room, but then got too cold! We felt like Goldilocks!!
We appreciated the kitchen area but had to call for cups and glasses. We agreed it would have been a good idea to have a little garbage bin under the sink as we did not feel right putting the wet tea bags into the wastebasket. The shower was excellent and the towels nice and fluffy. The huge mirror in the bathroom lights up like Broadway!
The Doormen were wonderful!! They have the perfect voices for hailing cabs and we didn't wait more than a few seconds!!!
Our weekend in NYC was great, but we really felt let down by not getting what we expected after making reservations so far in advance. We kind of felt like a bait and switch had occurred. I don't know how to make sure this doesn't happen again, but I won't let it stop me from returning to such a nice hotel when it's just ME!!

Room Tip: Not sure!! We didn't get what we reserved and hoped for, so I don't know what it takes to ge...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Marty5755
Write a ReviewReviews (2,801)

Reviewed November 9, 2012

Spent 2 nights at Benjamin during Hurricane Sandy. Hotel room was clean, bright and lovely. Bed was comfy although the pull-out couch my kids slept on was less so. Didnt try restaurant but it looked lively and a-buzz with diners. Small luncheonette one door down provided simple diner food which was all we needed. Duane Reade on next corner can help you easily fill your mini fridge with drinks, food and even microwave popcorn. Staff was kind and helpful although stretched a bit too thin due to the hurricane. Children felt welcome. We felt very very lucky to be there.

Room Tip: request your pillows from the pillow menu as soon as you check in.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gothamcitymom
Reviewed November 8, 2012

I spent two nights here leading up to Hurricane Sandy. The staff were always pleasant despite the pressure they were under and were perfectly prepared to deal with the storm and its potential outcomes. Congrats to your team on making guests feel safe and welcome under extraordinary circumstances!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vanwhis
Reviewed November 8, 2012

It was relief to know the hotel was working properly after one of the worst hurricanes in new york, I was glad to have water, electricity and food. But it was far away of the top hotel I expected to find.

Room Tip: it is quiet and good located the bath is clean but not the bed
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this trip using Hotwire which gave it a 4.5 star boutique hotel.
I was treated wonderfully by the hotel clerk when I happen to ask for a room with a king bed.
Normally, Hotwired rooms are always queen size beds.
To my delight when we opened the door, we were amazed to find a two room suite that even included a small kitchen.
The living room was huge! But mostly, the king bed was luxurious!
The location was one short block from the subway. And the midtown location at Lexington and 50th was spot-on.
The next morning i called and asked for a late check out and they extended our visit for 2 hours

Room Tip: Just be kind and nice and you will mostly find people will be accommodating.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Midlsistr
The_Benjamin, Director of Front Office at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Midlsistr,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share these wonderful comments about our property. We are delighted that you enjoyed yourself and happy that our team exceeded your expectations as that is our goal.

Director of Front Offie

Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Hotel is clean, quiet and in the heart of midtown manhattan if that is the location you are looking for. The service is nice and there are a lot of restaurants/attractions in the area. One negative is that their elevators were very slow and being taken out of service. I decided to use the stairs and found them cluttered with supplies which is extremely dangerous and a fire hazard. I will be making a formal complaint to the GM of the hotel regarding this dangerous condition - see pictures.

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Mikeyz2281
Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your recent stay. We are delighted ot hear that you enjoyed your visit. I would like to apologize for elevators going out during your stay but and happy to report they have been fixed and tuned up and working wonderfuly now. In regards to any items on the stairs this has been addressed with the team and they are making sure that no items are placed on the stairs as this is a hazard.

Again, thank you for sharing you thoughts and so glad you enjoyed your visit.

Director of Front Office

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in a small suite at The Benjamin from Saturday, 27th until Wednesday, 31st, October, which covered the time of Hurricane Sandy in New York. On Monday,29th,as my flight to London on the 31st was cancelled, I asked the hotel to extend my reservation for two nights and was told that there would be no problem and that they would do this for me. I checked again with the hotel the following day and was told that the person who had confirmed my reservation had made a mistake, but that there was a 90 % chance that my stay could be extended. On the morning of the 31st, I was told that I could not stay on. I asked to speak to the manager who neither appeared nor called me back and was told firmly that I would have to check out. Bearing in mind that this hotel is often used by my company, I feel that I was poorly treated, despite the exceptional circumstances of the hurricane.

Room Tip: If you wish to extend your stay, make sure that the hotel does so in writing.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank swelliott

Dear Swelliott,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I am so very sorry to hear of the challenge you encountered in regards to extension and although everything was insane and crazy during these days due to the hurricane their is no excuse and as a guest you should have recieved absolute and immediate attention.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in regards to this. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for me directly.

Director of Front Office