“Disappointed”

The Benjamin
Ranked #99 of 471 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed in a small suite at The Benjamin from Saturday, 27th until Wednesday, 31st, October, which covered the time of Hurricane Sandy in New York. On Monday,29th,as my flight to London on the 31st was cancelled, I asked the hotel to extend my reservation for two nights and was told that there would be no problem and that they would do this for me. I checked again with the hotel the following day and was told that the person who had confirmed my reservation had made a mistake, but that there was a 90 % chance that my stay could be extended. On the morning of the 31st, I was told that I could not stay on. I asked to speak to the manager who neither appeared nor called me back and was told firmly that I would have to check out. Bearing in mind that this hotel is often used by my company, I feel that I was poorly treated, despite the exceptional circumstances of the hurricane.

Room Tip: If you wish to extend your stay, make sure that the hotel does so in writing.
1  Thank swelliott
The_Benjamin, Director of Front Office at The Benjamin, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2012

Dear Swelliott,
Thank you for taking the time to offer your feedback. I am so very sorry to hear of the challenge you encountered in regards to extension and although everything was insane and crazy during these days due to the hurricane their is no excuse and as a guest you should have recieved absolute and immediate attention.

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to speak with you in regards to this. Please feel free to call the hotel and ask for me directly.

Director of Front Office

Write a ReviewReviews (2,804)

Reviewed November 1, 2012

After bad experience at the Renaissance 57, moving into the Benjamin was particularly nice. Very nice size suites with lovely deco, friendly staff, nice spa, and great location (near the Bliss spa, which is always good to visit). We do stay in lots of hotels in mid town but this remains one of my favorites in the area (mid town east).

Dear Anna J,

We are delighted to hear how much you enjoyed your visit and our hotel.

We do pride ourself on exceeding expectations and look forward to continuing to do so.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

It's hard to find a nice hotel in Mid Town/East Manhattan that sleeps 3. We had our teenage son travelling with us, and really appreciated that this lovely, older hotel just a block from the Waldorf Astoria could accommodate us. The suite had a separate living room with Queen pull out and small kitchen with refrigerator, sink and microwave. It was pricey, but we felt we were paying for the extra sf (the website says 550) and it seemed in-line with other hotels that we've stayed at in the area. (So all in all we paid a little over $1/sf per night for the suite). As noted in other posts - it is true that the bathroom is very small, and the toilet lid (plastic) does not stay up. But for me, the rooms and furnishings including bed were extra clean and the bed so comfortable that I barely noticed the bathroom. If we weren't all family, the bathroom situation would have been awkward.

Service was excellent save a distracted doorman when we arrived and one concierge that was nice but not serious about telling us how to get from point A to point B. The bellman and front desk stepped in. However, all the other doormen, the bellman, all the front desk personnel and the other concierge were extremely helpful and all get 5 stars from us. The restaurant - The National - was excellent both for lunch and breakfast with an interesting menu, ample portions and we liked the atmosphere. Most of the waitstaff were on top of things. Our breakfast waiter was having a bad morning and spent too much time complaining to the other waiters and not enough time watching us. If not for the couple of things mentioned above, we would have given the hotel 5 star.

The spa/workout area was nice, lots of windows/light. The elevators were slow, but again it was what we expected for a boutique hotel. All in all we will return. We'd like to stay again - next time in a suite with a terrace.

Room Tip: I heard others trying to "move up" because of street noise. We were on the 17th floor and...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family

Dear Wendyscot,

Thank you so much for your very kind words. We are so happy to hear how much you enjoyed you visit to The Benjamin and we look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Safe Travels,

Reviewed October 26, 2012

Pleasant boutique hotel with a great restaurant. Unfortunately a very small gym. Excellent sleeping menu. Pick your favourite pillow from the menu. Ask for an upgrade to a suite and enjoy a living room next to your (bed)room and a fully equipped kitchen.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view if you like that. Most rooms are at the back with hardly any view.
1  Thank MarcOosterkamp
Reviewed October 26, 2012

It's a relatively small hotel, especially by New York City standards, but it has the benefit of a small lobby so you are not banging into thousands of people trying to get in and out of the lobby. For women traveling alone, you get a bit of more of a feeling of safety scine there is only one real entrance into the hotel (although there is another through the restaurant) which cuts down on the possible riff raff you may have hanging about the lobby. The rooms are spacious - although the bathrooms are tiny -- well laid out and completely clean - but tiny. What I loved most was the Sleep program they offer. I am someone who is always on the look out for decent pillows. I seem to buy and try a pillow a month at home -- still looking for the perfect one for me - and so a good night's sleep is often elusive for me in hotels which normally have pillows that are either too soft or too hard or way too big. So you can imagine how much I love the Benjamin's sleep program which gives you a menu - with descriptions - of over 12 different kinds of pillows you can request, then try and then choose. This feature alone will make me a return guest. However, I would suggest that you eat somewhere other than The National which is the restaurant that borders the hotel on Lexington Ave and has an entrance into the hotel. During my stay, I ate there on three different occassions and each time, the service was slow. The food is good - not great - but requests go unanswered; coffee will get cold waiting for someone to show up with cream; the same goes for toast waiting for butter. Would not recommend it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank nycgirl162
Reviewed October 25, 2012

Check in the other night and I stay at hotel a couple of times a week. This is everything you want from a hotel in NYC. A hot resturaunt with an iorn cheif, professional staff that are pleasant, well dressedvand well informed. Nice size rooms, most comfortable bed and pillows, all updated. Great location and efficiency room. I wish I was in the city longer it was so nice of a place to stay.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

This is a great spot to break away from the chaos of Manhattan, and is very conveniently located. Beds are very comfortable and they have a great pillow menu. Downsides are the lack of two beds if you are travelling with a non-spouse and the internet charge in the room (a pet peeve). The free internet in the lobby was not working – at least not on my netbook.
Staff is very helpful and the reservation staff are particularly accommodating. They re-decorated this hotel at some point and although very nice, I preferred the former cozier look to the more modern, streamlined (grey/white) theme.
The on-site restaurant, The National ( by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian) serves a nice but very expensive breakfast. You can have a casual dinner in the evening and they had some nice jazz when we were there.
All in all a very nice spot and I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for a view - you can see the Chrysler Tower from some rooms - but your best bet may be to work w...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family