I had reserved (and fully paid at the reservation, and even quite much, around 400 euros/night/room) via ebookers a deluxe room with king size for our summer trip in June as early as in December it was a gift to my husband who had his 50 years anniversary in February and we wanted celebrate simultaneously our 25th year anniversary of our marriage (early August) during our summer vacation. I had also sent two e-maila in advance to the e-mail address firstname.lastname@example.org (available on the hotel internet site) to make sure that we get a nice room but did not ever receive any response. I was not worried - I just thought that they are perhaps so busy...
After our 8.5-hour flight and 1-hour taxi drive we arrived at the hotel around 5.30 p. At the reception they did not find our reservation. I had a copy of the reservation with the confirmation number and they had to call a couple of times somewhere to check that everything is fine with our reservation. The lady said she won't throw us away though she cannot find our hotel, we just had to wait for a while.
Not a good start...though the lady herself was kind.
After talking to somebody on the phone, she then proposed us a room with twin beds but I told the lady we prefer a king size bed (as paid, too!) . Finally we got a room on the 10th floor with a king-size bed with a small kitchenette (room 1004). Perhaps it was a deluxe room, perhaps not, do not know (as we only got one small minibar invoice when we checked out). The lady also gave us both one breakfast voucher in the hotel restaurant The National (well-known and popular).
The room was quite small but clean (always important for us that the hotel is clean!), kitchenette was very useful. Bathroom ok. No noise from other rooms but from the street the noise was quite loud (ambulances, fire trucks, police cars - it seemed that they were always driving on the 50th St. or on Lexington Avenue, no matter whether it was a day or a night). AC was loud, too.
The pillows were hard but the hotel had different possibilities and I needed to change mine to a softer one and then the nights were better.
In the evening after walking miles and shopping until we dropped... we would have wanted just to relax and see some music channels or good movies (Canal+ or similar) and discuss together but they were not available. It was ok to see US news or sports in different channels a couple of times a day but not all the time. Luckily we could see a couple of European channels too, but we had to find the channels ourselves, no directory in the room.
The ceilings in the room floors were flat but luckily the room itself did not has such a low ceiling.
The hotel had a gym, a basic one but we were happy to use that though it was quite hot there (evenings were better to sport).
We used breakfast vouchers on the first morning - it included one entree, one main something (e.g. eggs, omelette..) and coffee/tee as well as water. Ok but not worth the money if we were supposed to pay it ourselves (expensive compared to the food we got). But the restaurant itself was very nice and comfortable and the personnel very professional and kind. In the evenings the restaurant was full of people.
The doormen were also very kind all the time.
The location is good, you can easily go downtown, you can easily walk to Time Square, to Central Park, anywhere you want to go. We also visited Woodbury Premiere Outlet on one day and were delighted that Hamilton Luxury Buses (if I remember the bus company name correctly, any how it has an advertisement at least in the NY City Guide June/July 2012) and used the bus (AC, water, papers, snacks available, leaving on Lexington Avenue between 46 and 47. Time to shop for 7 hours and back to Lex Avenue. Drive time depends on the rush, in the morning it took around 1 hours, in the evening 1 hour 45 minutes. For us it was ok as we had shopped quite a lot so it was ok to sit in the bus - easier with lots of bags than to use a train etc).
We have been travelling a lot, once before in New York too. This time this hotel was a little disappointment so I rate this 3.5 (not 4 starts). As the review does not have a possibility to give half point, I use rather 3 than 4 in the Benjamin.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located in the heart of Midtown, The Benjamin offers 209 newly re-designed terrace suites, one-bedroom suites and guest rooms by Rottet Studio featuring kitchenettes and signature Benjamin Beds. Housed within the hotel is The National Bar & Dining Rooms with a menu of modern bistro dishes by Iron Chef Geoffrey Zakarian. Known best for its world-renowned Sleep Program Rest & Renew, The Benjamin features a Pillow Menu and bedtime snacks. Families enjoy Winks' Kidzzz Club with pint-sized amenities for kids to use during their stay. A private guest lounge on the second floor offers two business stations and lounge seating. The Benjamin affords quick access to Fifth Avenue's high-end boutiques, Rockefeller Center, MoMA and Central Park. Hotel Services Fee is $30 plus tax per room, per night and provides you with the following amenities: •$10 daily credit toward Geoffrey Zakarian's The National Bar & Dining Rooms* •Wireless Internet on all of your devices throughout your stay •24/7 access to our state-of-the-art fitness center outfitted by Technogym •In-room artisanal coffee and tea offerings •Unlimited business services including printing •24/7 access to our private Residence Lounge •Unlimited local and domestic long distance calls •Access to our Clef D' Or Concierge services •Package handling and storage prior to and during your stay *Must be redeemed daily. Cannot roll over. **Fee is exclusive of service gratuities ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Hotwire, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your The Benjamin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Benjamin Hotel New York City
- Benjamin New York City
- Benjamin Hotel New York City