“Good Value for Midtown NYC”
Review of Dylan Hotel NYC

Dylan Hotel NYC
Ranked #382 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 27, 2014

Was on a last minute business trip and found this hotel. For the price (300$ CAD/night) it was reasonable for the area. I never stayed in NYC before, so I cannot compare the room size, but it had the bare minimum. The room was clean and the bed was comfortable. The room was freezing cold though and no matter how much I played with the controls, it didn't make any difference. I ended up turning the unit off and it was still very comfortable. I would recommend you do that if you find that it is too cold.

I had a room (#504) facing the front of the hotel and it was in a corner next to an emergency exit and it was super loud. I had trouble sleeping at night because of the noise. I think they were doing some kind of demolition on the street or something. Maybe try to get a room in the back of the hotel, but considering it's NYC, I don't know if you can really escape the noise.

When checking in, I was asked if I wanted a smoking room. I was shocked that such a thing still existed in this day and age. The employee told me that there was still 1 floor dedicated to smoking rooms. I didn't inquire about which floor it was, but my room didn't smell smoke at all. If you worry, you can inquire.

Overall, it was a comfortable stay despite the lack of sleep. The wifi was free, but I was never able to get a descent signal from the room on my iPhone. My laptop was able to get a signal without issue. Do keep that in mind if you plan to travel only with your smartphone.

1  Thank bobmtb

Reviewed June 23, 2014

On a quick overnight business trip and many Grand Central Station-area hotels sold out, I took a chance on the Dylan. This chic-ish hotel had a small, well-appointed lobby with a European flair. The hallways to the room were very cool and stylish. The room was surprisingly large by NYC standards. My room(4th floor) didn't have a view but since I was only there for less than 12 hours, I didn't care. I would recommend a higher floor where possible.

Bathroom was modern, well-appointed and clean. The bed was super comfortable. The iHome clock radio and bedside phone were in operable but my iPhone and iPad have alarm clocks so, again, I didn't endure an inconvenience as my visit was short.

Check in/out was easy and the staff I encountered were professional, courteous and friendly. Great location and easy to get to my work meetings.

Room Tip: High floor - ask first about a view.
1  Thank Mark F
Reviewed June 12, 2014

Good location in Manhattan at Murray Hill. Very good breakfast, good size rooms, beds and pillows, very clean and hospitable crew. The restaurant is a very good and famous steakhouse. I recommend for both business and leisure.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank José Ernesto M
Reviewed June 9, 2014

This hotel is conveniently located near Grand Central Station so very convenient for the airport shuttle and if you need to take the train to other parts of the East Coast. It is a Spanish hotel so lots of clients there smoke even if prohibited.
You know because the smell circulates in the AC vents and it comes through into your room. Even at night it is impossible to smell fresh air. The AC is at full blast, probably because of the smoke reason and even when put in low setting, it still makes your room cold.
Will not stay there again because of the smoke smell!

1  Thank See_Italy15
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We chose The Dylan for its great location right round the corner from Grand Central Station. We arrived mid afternoon but the reception staff seemed to have difficulty locating a room for us. When we did arrive at the room it was still being cleaned.

The room itself was at the back of the hotel with no view but that didn't really concern us. The room was of adequate size and well cleaned. The bathroom had good modern fittings and nice toiletries. The bed was comfortable and the a/c excellent, although with no in room controls.

There was some noise in the room late at night from other residents, doors slamming and some shouting

Overall this was a good choice at a fair price and I would stay again

Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ChrisintheBahamas
Reviewed June 5, 2014

The Dylan hotel 's best attribute is it's location. One block south of Grand Central and walkable to Bryant Park, Times Square and Central Park (little less than a mile walk), I loved where it was located. It was clean, the staff friendly and helpful but the room itself somewhat sparse and claustrophobic, as were the hallways. But the price was a bit lower than comparable hotels in the area. Valet parking available - around $50/day.

Room Tip: I had room 1204 and it had no view.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2014

A fun and funky hotel. Playing off the history of the building, the cups in the bathroom were 250ml beakers. The quotations about NYC from famous people that are painted on the walls, the sweeping staircase, the Euro style of the rooms and public spaces, and the fact that the TV has more non-English channels than English-speaking channels make this a very different experience than staying at most NYC hotels.

Convenient location and a great place for a romantic NYC getaway.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple