“convenient hotel”
Review of Dylan Hotel NYC

Dylan Hotel NYC
Ranked #382 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed November 4, 2013

TV reception and range of stations are poor;no pay for view facility;but price,convenience,free wifi,free breakfast,proximity to center city all add to a nice experience.helpful staff(helped me with luggage to bus stop,which takes you to major airports)

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
There are newer reviews for Dylan Hotel NYC

Reviewed November 2, 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I stayed at this hotel for a week. We found it great location wise within walking distance of Empire State, Times Square, port authority and a whole lot of other places. If you stay here you must try the Benjamin steakhouse which is adjoining the hotel the food is great and the service is exceptional hence why the price is on the higher end compared to most restaurants. Only thing is that this hotel has no bar which would have been nice for a relaxing drink after a busy day but there are plenty of nice bars around it. The guy on the reception was great I think his name was Raymond! Very helpful. Room was not huge but enough for the two of us who goes to New York and stays in their room anyway! Room was spotless and lovely marble bathrooms. I cannot find any problem with this hotel the location is just fantastic. I would have no problem recommending this hotel for anyone. We had a view of a brick wall but who cares I wasn't there to look out my bedroom window! Rooms were quiet at night with black out drapes. I had a great trip and would definitely stay here again.

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Lisa3Kilkenny
Reviewed November 1, 2013

I am afraid this sounds too critical, But I do think the hotel could use some tweaking to raise the comfort level. For example, and it is a small thing, it would have been nice had we been greeted when we walked in the door.. We stayed 3 days. The desk clerks were glued to their computers. Not even a nod or a glance. Nothing like the friendliness of the Yale Club, (which was booked.)The bed was too bouncy. The bath room had lots of form, but , alas, no function.. No place to put on your face. One hook for towels. A few more hooks are needed !! No where to hang towels. The wifi was given to disconnecting frequently so that was a downer. Coffee cups so tiny I could not put my finger in the holder. One electrical plug not working And very few outlets. Oh, and Very poor lighting. I needed a miners helmet to read in bed. Not even enough overhead light to see into my suitcase. The heat dial for the shower was awkward to operate. All small things but they add up to I don't want to return

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davidson H
Reviewed October 12, 2013

Fairly standard hotel overall. It is In a great location in mid Manhattan and well suitable for both business travellers and leisure travellers. I have seen some negative reviews about the service, but I found the staff to be friendly and helpful (stayed for 5 nights), and had no problems.
Rooms are pretty standard with bed, desk, fridge, bathroom and simple furnishings. Very similar rooms to what you get in many other hotels of the same rating. Comfortable enough. Not for the luxury traveller and definitely not for travellers who enjoy boutique hotels and rooms, or hotels, with character.
Not bad value for comfort level and location. No complaints.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Gretski_79
Reviewed October 4, 2013

The website made it look promising, but our room was nothing like the pictures online. It was a basic white box with a view of a brick wall. The bed was comfortable enough but there was no way in the room to adjust the temperature. Almost no water pressure in the bathroom.

But my main gripe with the hotel was that it was dirty. The lobby and common areas had that disinfectant smell that I find a huge turn-off. The floor of the elevator was filthy and not ever vacuumed during the two days I was there. The place is just beat. And you can do better for the money.

On the plus side, there's a funky steak house called the Benjamin attached to it. Really enjoyed that. I'm a former New Yorker and a weekly visitor and never knew it existed.

The other nice thing is that 41st Street leads to the NY Public Library. The sidewalk is lined with brass plaques with interesting quotes from writers from Borges to Thoreau. But you don't have to stay in the hotel to see that.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
5  Thank NY_Safariguy
Reviewed September 6, 2013

The hotel itself looks tired, not awful, but it does need a facelift. Our room itself was basic, television, fridge etc. The usual standard in a 3/4 star (I was unsure, it states two different things on some of the websites.) Bed was comfortable, but 3 pillows for two people? Really? I folded up the comforter and slept with my pillow on top of that.
Bathroom was clean, everything worked, no worries there. Maid service was excellent, even when they forgot the pillow chocolates they went round and knocked on peoples door to hand them out. Room was always left immaculately.
The staff on the front desk were charming and helpful throughout our stay.
The location of the hotel is excellent, it is well worth the money just for it. We were a block away from Grand Central Station, great for hopping around late at night. Harold's Square/ Times Square is just 5/10 minutes walk away and not to mention all the restaurants surrounding us.

Room Tip: Got to "Essen" really great if you just need to pick up something to eat and go. Food is g...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 17, 2013

We reserved room in this hotel for 4 nights but cancelled 2 last nights after rude check in. The hotel enforces upgrade policy if you request 2 double beds. there is no signs neither said in the hotel website. We waited for our room 5 hours from 11-4. we were told to come back at 3 which is regular practice but waited another hour when no more people were checking in. Never felt people working at this hotel cared about their guests. This is not expected by travelers in the world biggest city. Too bad.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family