“Great hotel in the heart of Times Square”
Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #57 of 468 Hotels in New York City
San Francisco, California
“Great hotel in the heart of Times Square”
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Don't know if I should be saying this as I kind of want to keep it my secret, but they were so amazing, I had to share. The Muse hotel is beautiful, rooms great, staff exceptional!!! And it's all right there tucked away in Times Square!!!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Brian F
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear Brian F,

We also love secrets but sometimes its fun to share these types of secrets as well!

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (696)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 8, 2014 via mobile

Attentive staff with chic surroundings. This was a mixed business and pleasure trip with my mother. Stayed in a double executive room on the 14th floor with great views. The room is well appointed and spacious. Also, l received a bottle of champagne upon arrival which was a very nice birthay suprise. Evening wine hour and coffee/tea service in the morning was an added bonus. Central location was convenient yet quiet in the evening since you have a little separation from the hustle of Times Square.

Dear SweetInHere,

Thank you for the FIVE star review. We are so happy that you celebrated your birthday with us and even though you were here for business that you also had time for yourself.

It’s great to know you were also about to enjoy the extra amenities we had to offer.

We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I never write reviews on Tripadvisor but my experience was so amazing this weekend I had to write this review.

Last fall I stayed at the Kimpton Surfcomber in Miami. It was such a great experience I was actually excited and looking forward to trying another Kimpton hotel on my next trip (when was the last time that has happened to you?). When I needed to go to NYC for work I intentionally chose the Muse not because it was the closet or cheapest hotel to the event but because it was a Kimpton hotel.

The hotel and their guest rooms are very nicely decorated- very modern, hip and chic without sacrificing function or comfort. My room was larger than I expected, very clean, comfortable beds and pillows and most importantly it was quiet (which is hard to achieve in the heart of Times Square). Kimpton invests a lot in customer service and it shows! Every hotel staff member who I encountered was exceptionally helpful and friendly (from receptionist to chamber maids). I was surprised to see that someone referred to their staff as "frosty" that was NOT my experience at all.

Kimpton also sets itself apart with all of the their perks- free happy hour in the lobby that includes eyelash and make up artist (how fun!), free morning coffee and when you join the loyalty program you also get free wifi and a mini bar credit. They also save all of your preferences in their system for your next stay (thank you for the New York Times each morning at my door!). This brand of hotels is exceptional- and the Muse is no exception.

Although I normally despise Times Square because of it's overstimulation via light, sound and crowds of people- the minute you turn on to West 46th street and get to the Muse you're magically transported to a tranquil spa like hotel! Highly recommend the Muse for business or pleasure!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
3 Thank Erin R
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear Erin R,

Reviews like this make us blush! We are thrilled you stayed with us and loved everything about The Muse Hotel as well a Kimpton Hotels.

We are so happy that you loved our ‘On Demand Glam’ team! Who wouldn’t want to get pampered in the comfort of your own room?

We look forward to welcoming you back again.
Pokolbin, Australia
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Well what can I say... Wow, wow, wow!! My partner and I stayed at this amazing hotel in November, We are from Australia and it was our very first time in the USA, for a little indulgence for our first night in New York I had surprised my partner as a birthday gift and booked the Spa Suite... From the friendly staff at concierge (in particular Wilmore).... to the exceptional Reception staff (in particular Barbara).... to getting into our amazing suite and realising they had made a note I wanted to surprise my partner, he had been hand written a gorgeous birthday card (with drawings of balloons and all).... to our yummy light dinner and drinks in NIOS... and to our easy check out experience... I work as a Reservations/Front Desk Manager at a hotel myself and definitely hate the fact I can pick up on faults easily..... This hotel CANNOT be faulted... flawless from walking in the door to leaving... Another lovely concierge even helped us take a picture out the front and invited us back for wine hour that evening even though we had checked out!! This is my first review I have ever written on trip advisor and just wanted to give the team a massive THANK YOU... We can't wait to come back!!!!

Room Tip: Highly recommend the spa suite for a romantic getaway and some relaxation!!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mindi1989
Dear Mindi1989,

We also want to say WOW! Thank you for the fabulous review. We are so excited we could be part of your very first trip to the USA and The Big Apple!

We are so happy to know that our team was of great assistance in making your stay memorable.
We look forward to welcoming you back again!
NYC/NJ
Reviewed April 2, 2014

In a nutshell -- the service is average to inattentive, and the hotel (the decor and physical presentation) is slightly above average (because it's a Kimpton).

The Pros:

** The receptionist (young women with dark hair and glasses) who checked me in was friendly and quick.

** The Executive King room is a good size; it's nicely decorated and has all the things you'd expect in it.

** The location, in midtown (see cons, too), and is close to everything.

** The got my requirements for feather free pillows and duvets correct.

The Cons:

** The rest of the staff. I did not receive one smile or "hello," from anyone else on staff -- nor did a doorman open the door for me (where were they?).

** The noise is horrendous day and night, and even into the daylight hours. I was very high up but facing the street; there seems to be virtually no soundproofing at this hotel. The hotel is situated right off of Times Square and there is constant construction (day and night), garbage trucks, sirens -- very loud noise, too! I've noticed that the person at the hotel (a manager) who responds to these reviews always mentions that a guest can ask for a room in the back of the hotel, but that's really not a sufficient response! Kimpton, a fine brand, needs to invest in better soundproofing. I am local (I had to stay close to a work event for one night), so it was no big deal for me to lose a night's sleep, but it would be terrible for people who stay here for more than one night.

** Upon checkout I was not asked if I enjoyed my stay.

** There are not enough plugs in the room (very rare for a Kimpton).

** The bathroom, while quite nice in general, had a bathtub that had visible cracks in it.

If you are staying at this hotel for business or an extended vacation, you must ask for a room in the back. If one isn't available stay somewhere else! It's truly that loud.

Please excuse typos!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank DeborahPub
Dear DeborahPub,

Thank you for taking the time to give us a review.

We are happy to know you liked our room décor and the size of the Executive King Room however very sorry to hear about the noise you experienced. We do understand that all guests have different preferences in terms of room position and would be happy to ensure a quieter room on your next visit.

We do also apologize about the service you experienced during your stay. Please know this type of service is certainly a rarity and we have shared your comments with the team.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future so we can roll out the red carpet to ensure a 4-diamond experience that I know we can provide. Please feel free to reach out to one of the front desk managers so we can personally welcome you back.
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Had a chance to stay two nights at the Muse. I am a Kimpton member and have stayed at Kimptons in many other cities. The Muse certainly lives up to Kimpton standards. The location is stellar as was the service. Enjoyed the complimentary upgrade as well as the happy hour and morning coffee.
I will definitely stay her again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
2 Thank PB62757
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, April 3, 2014
Dear PB62757,

Thank you for your review. Thank you for mentioning our team as providing ‘stellar’ service. We appreciate your loyalty with Kimpton and look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Having previously stayed at two very good hotels in Manhattan we wondered whether The Muse would live up to our prior experiences: it did. What a hotel. Great location (five-minute walk to Fifth Avenue; less so to Times Square; walkable to Central Park, etc), extremely friendly staff (although the blonde receptionist on the last day was a bit icy), excellent service, immaculately clean - I can't praise this place highly enough. And what can I say about the wine reception that hasn't been said a hundred times in the reviews below? It's marvellous. When you get back from shopping at 5pm and are feeling like you need to recharge your batteries, a glass (or, in my case, three glasses) of wine is perfect. A really nice touch, and one that probably tips the balance for us and means that we would choose the Muse again over the other two hotels we stayed in before (although in fairness they were really very good also). Loved this place, though and can't wait to stay again.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CLHScott
Dear CLHScott,

Aww you’re our favorite too! We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and loved everything about it.

We are so happy that our wine reception was as a great ending to your day.

We look forward to welcoming you back.