“Great location and Kimpton joy”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Kimpton Muse Hotel

Kimpton Muse Hotel
Ranked #49 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Temecula, California
“Great location and Kimpton joy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Right off Times Square and Rockafeller on the other side!! My 5th time here and I love it. They have scaled back a lot lately like most hotels. Sadly no mini bar as there are sodas in the fridge but warm as they don't do cold fridges now. First time not getting an amenity in my room. The entry door was extremely heavy and we struggled to open it while a doorman watched. This happened with this same doorman a lot and it was odd not getting the help but one doorman, I hate that I am blanking his name but it was unique like Kema or something, was a delight and charming. They have a nifty hot chocolate bar during the afternoon, coffee tea in am, and wine hour at night. All free. They also don't have the traditional Kimpton goldfish but unless you have a kid with you and are seasoned Kimpton people you won't miss it.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, February 28, 2014
Dear Scubashark0822,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review.

We do want to apologize about your mini bar not cooling. We will have our engineering team check out the mini bars to ensure we get this fixed. Please know we do offer complimentary mini fridges which we can send to your room to store any additional items you may have.

Thank you for mentioning one of our doormen as providing you great service. We do thank you about the feedback about the lobby doors. We have made sure to share your comments with our team to ensure we are assisting with opening the doors at all times.

We look forward to having you stay a 6th time with us! Reach out to one of our team next time and we can see what we can do about the goldfish!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (691)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2014

I have to preface this review by saying I am an avid Kimpton fan. I have stayed at over 15 of their properties including 2 of the other 3 in New York City.

That being said I booked a 'staycation' at The Muse for an overnight as a last minute birthday gift for my boyfriend. Given the last minute nature of the booking I wasn't expecting much in terms of inner circle amenities so I was pleasantly surprised with the balloons and Muse chocolate cab they provided in the room it made for a great first impression. The staff was friendly and we had a great night. My boyfriend really enjoyed the hot chocolate bar in the lobby.

I just feel like The Muse is missing some of the sparkle of some of the other Kimpton hotels in particular the other NYC hotels. While I was upgraded to a larger room the room I was in was a bit run down. With a piece broken off one of the drawers and some other things that didn't work or were pretty chipped. The minibar had an expired coke in it that I didn't realize until I drank it and realized the taste was off. I had booked a rate that included breakfast the next morning and I don't know it its because it was a slow Sunday but the pastries all tasted at least a day old, the fruit didn't look appetizing at all, and there was no granola.

None of the above were "deal breakers" for me. I still think the Kimpton brand as a whole is ahead of other hotel chains, I'm just not used to seeing some of the things that I saw at this Kimpton at other properties. I wanted to go with a 3.5 for the location but went up to a 4 just because of my brand loyalty. If it came down to it I would recommend either Eventi or Ink 48 in New York over The Muse if location isn't an issue. For tourists looking to be close enough to Time Square, Broadway, Radio City etc this may be the perfect Kimpton for you.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear JodyKitcher,

Thank you so much for your review. We greatly appreciate your loyalty and are so happy we were able to create a special experience during your birthday stay.

We will make sure to focus on the areas you mentioned that are in need of attention. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the future so you can see the improvements and make sure your stay is full of the Kimpton sparkle!
East Hartford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife and I had a planned getaway that was cancelled due to weather-related flight cancellations. To make up for that, I was looking for a special getaway closer to home. After some internet searching and checking with TripAdvisor, I found The Muse and the spa suite. I am very glad I did.

The room was really spacious for NYC. The jacuzzi tub was fantastic - great size, plenty of hot water. There was a separate shower that was large and very nice.

The bed was very comfortable. The room was well appointed with two TV's, and an iPhone/iPod doc/radio, mini bar (Klimpton InTouch members (I signed up for free before I went) get $15 for free from the mini bar),and bathroom amenities.

The other huge positive for this hotel - the location! Is it on 46th, about midway between 6th and 7th. 46th is not a very busy street. So it is extremely close to Times Square and Rockefeller Center, but just far enough away that the street noise was barely noticeable (we were on the 14th floor).

We did not try the restaurant or bar.

The only small downside - the thermostat in the room didn't do much. We were there on some cold days in February, and the room stayed at a comfortable temperature. However, turning it down for the night didn't make much difference.

We would gladly go back here because of the location. We won't always splurge for the spa suite, but try one of the regular rooms.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear KDAA,

Thank you so much for the fantastic review!
The spa suite is definitely a special room. We love it too!

We are so happy you had the chance to visit us and we hope to see you back soon.
Boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

This is truly the perfect hotel for a stay in NYC. The location in Times Square but onquiet W. 46th is perfect for getting to and from theaters and restaurants (just myself and my daughter so I felt verysafe) as well as easily accessing much of mid-town with convenient central subway stops for further out adventures. The rooms are extremely quiet, good size for NYC, very comfortable beds and pillows, and good size bathrooms. The only complaint is that, at least in the winter, the hotel and room tended to be on the hot side but ac controls were in the room to cool things down.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
ManagerMuse, Manager at Kimpton Muse Hotel, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear rsb1957,

Glad to see you took advantage of the theater district which is only a block away from our hotel.

Thank you for the great review!

We hope to welcome your daughter and you back soon!
Bolton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

Had an unintentional 3day stop off in NY due to missed connection, The Muse Hotel was the first hotel to mind! 3rd time here and didn't disappoint, lovely rooms, friendly staff and a great location. No baggage due to Airport sending our bags on to our final destination without us, but The Muse stepped in and promptly brought us up a bag of toiletries with everything they could think of. Will always refer this hotel to anybody and would always go back again!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Dear jokell,

Thank you, thank you, thank you! We loved reading your review. We are happy we could make your stay comfortable, even under the circumstances you had.

We LOVE to see we are your first NY hotel that came to mind when you were here. We hope it stays that way!

We look forward to seeing you back soon!
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

Loved our stay here recently - would definitely stay again!

Pros:
- Centrally located right in Times Square, but on a quieter side street
- Fast check-in (and allowed us early check-in, which is rare)
- Friendly service - people were always asking if we needed taxis, directions, etc
- Beds and pillows very comfortable
- Room has modern décor with a boutique feel to it
- King room was spacious by NY standards
- Fun and stylish bar area

Cons:
- I was on the 5th floor and could hear a decent amount of traffic noise (which is hard to get away from anywhere in NYC to be fair)
- Bathroom was large, but had some visible wear

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear cj_minneapolis,

Thank you for your overall great review!

We can definitely help with the 2 cons you described. Of course, Times Square can be a bit noisy. So, the next time you visit, we can look to block you facing the back of our builiding. Just let us know your room preferences and we will accommodate them the best we can!

Also, any wear in the room, please let us know and we will make sure to rectify it as soon as possible.

We hope to see you back soon!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

My daughters and I stayed 5 nights at The Muse and were so thankful at night when walking home from a play in the rain that The Muse was so close to the theaters. We were thankful in the afternoon for a glass of wine and a nice crowd to visit with after touring during the day! We weren't quite as thankful for our very small room that had a hefty price tag but, hey, it's NYC. We weren't in our room except to sleep. We would definitely stay at The Muse again.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and then complain when a guest's dog whines and barks!