“Small bathroom slow room service”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #99 of 467 Hotels in New York City

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (826)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Silver Spring, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014

From the minute I walked into the Dream Downtown, I was intrigued. The décor is impressive, and there is a VERY young, hip vibe to the place. Even an older "maw maw" like me can still appreciate the chic fun.

The location in Chelsea was perfect--just across the street from the Google building, where my company has offices--so that truly was a dream for me.

As for the room itself, it was definitely a clever use of the space. Yet, although the bed area fit one, and barely two people, you could certainly get three in the shower! And I do have to echo the comment from another reviewer who noted that the in lieu of a handle, the door to the bathroom has a hole. And a fairly large hole! A hole that is directly across from the toilet! Ugh!! I was glad I wasn't sharing the room with my husband this time, because if I had been, there would definitely have to have been some admonitions and planning for any bathroom visit!

I could see the place for singles or maybe couples. Not for families.

The hotel offers free Wall Street Journal or NY Times delivery to your room each morning. However, despite my request at check-in, my Journal only showed up the first morning of a three-night stay. When I mentioned it at the desk, they offered to give me a Journal, which was nice enough, but I actually would have preferred that they fix their system and have one on my door each morning as expected.

I used room service extensively during this trip, since I was busy working at the desk on business in my room. One plus is that you can get sushi delivered to your room from their restaurant, Cherry. I did that twice, and highly recommend the Lobster Roll, Spicy Tuna Roll, and Tempura Shrimp Roll. I also had breakfast delivered, and the place serves an okay Eggs Benedict. However, one morning they didn't bring me any water with my breakfast -- despite the fact that my order form explicitly requested water, and it just makes sense, right?, to include a glass of water with room service breakfast? The phone was very high tech and I never actually figured out how to fully use it--there weren't any instructions and although I'm a relatively tech-savvy and highly educated (four college degrees) person, it definitely was not an intuitive piece of equipment.

But these are small matters. Overall, I enjoyed my stay and I'm sure the place can fix the small problems here and there. I would certainly stay here again when on business, as long as I can get the business rate my company has negotiated.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

My favorite hotel in downtown Manhattan. Right at the meatpacking district - no need to try and look for a cab on weekends. The small details is what makes this hotel unique - the design just works together well. Staff is super friendly and accommodating. I stayed once and they made a mistake and without even asking they sent a bottle of champagne. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple