“Impeccably Superb”

Ranked #108 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Los Angeles, California
“Impeccably Superb”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

I'm very picky when it comes to hotels and I must admit I was utterly impressed with the Dream. I would definitely classify the hotel as youthful, hip and trendy. The staff was very professional and not to mention very attractive :). The room was nice, clean and a pretty decent size considering it's NY. The location was excellent! Close to a plethora of restaurants, shops, clubs and other attractions. The ambiance, decor, and architecture of the hotel itself, was immaculate! It's obvious that whoever designed it was extremely calculated/particular and knew the exact tone/vibe they wanted to convey.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (830)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Rochester, New York
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We were going to book at the less expensive Marriott brand hotels on the outskirts of Manhattan to save a buck, but decided we should spend a bit more for the comfort, convenience, and piece of mind a hotel of this caliber would provide.

Location: Walk to everything or take the L subway 12 minutes to Williamsburg. Just great. Nothing like Sunday morning one block walk to Chelsea Market! Be sure to go for a walk on the High Line and stop into a little-known tavern/pub/bistrot/beer garden around the 25th street staircase.

Parking: Pristine underground garage across the street. Very classy.

Heated Pool, Deck, Bistro: Wow. Water is heated to 84 degF the lifeguard told me, and it felt it.

Decor: Classy & Dramatic. Furnishings well maintained.

Food: We did't eat at the main restaurant, Marble Lane, but did take advantage of the morning lobby coffee stand with above average baked goods, hot ham and cheese croissant, the best orange juice this side of Orlando, etc. Honestly, the OJ was that good. The pool bar served a great lunch --- we had the quinoa tacos and sweet potato fries. Never had better anywhere.

Bedroom: We have a Prana mattress with down comforters, etc. and found the hotel bedding to be outstanding. Plus, the large circular windows opened. When closed, you'd have no idea Manhattan was cranking away just a few floors below. Nice surprise: Real glass martini glasses, champagne flutes, and tumblers in the hidden "closet bar". Bring a bottle of something and avoid the NYC-hotel-overpriced bottles stocked in the room.

Staff: Friendly and attentive without the "kiss-your-rear" forced formalities of other high-end establishments.

Only regret is that our plans did not put us on the rooftop PhD bar before it became the "cool (rich) kid only crowd" late Saturday night. Judging by the activity and clientele in the lobby awaiting the elevator ride to PhD, it was probably one of "the" places to be on Saturday night. We did make a point of going to The Standard Hotel's rooftop on Sunday afternoon... which made up for it.

Actually, one more regret: We didn't get to spend more time in the hotel.

So, this sounds like a paid-for review, but it isn't. In fact, I've never written a hotel review before. What's the catch. Well, it's pricey, but that's the cost of clean and classy in NYC. Also, the hotel doors (at least in our room) were not bank-vault tight, so the hallway traffic was just less than annoying. With all the walking, talking, drinking, and eating on this trip, we hit the sack like a ton of bricks and slept soundly each night, anyway. I suppose the fact that hotel guests are only guaranteed entry to PhD until 9:30pm is another bummer. We just wanted a peek at 1:30am of the views, and it was clear that we were out of our league --- more our fault than theirs, I suppose.

Spending a few days in the city without the kids and can afford it.... Dream Downtown should not be missed!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Silver King "Breathtaking Skyline" View room. It was 5th floor. If you...
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed for four nights in this hotel; we were the oldest people by a long shot and we aren't that old...57 and 58. The lights in the lobby are unbelievably dim; the noise for the music was blasting. If you are a young, hip person this is the place for you. We stayed on the second floor and were kept up one night by the bass of the music downstairs. The next night, we were awakened at about 2;30 am by our extremely loud next door neighbors who kept the television on for the rest of the night. If you are having breakfast in the first floor restaurant and need to use the bathroom on the basement level, the wash are is uni-sex. So, you walk into that part of the restroom and it's guys and girls. Not my thing. The service in the restaurant was slow, though the waiters were very friendly. Food was average and pricey. No complimentary coffee in the lobby. This is not for families or for people who would like a quiet, elegant or low-key stay. Next time, I think I'll investigate uptown!!

Room Tip: If you are young, this would be a fun, happening place. Stay above the second floor...it was very n...
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 14, 2013

I loved this hotel. I was here for business but it seemed like I was here for fun! The lobby is very chic and lounge like. It was cool because the pool was above the lobby. The decor was amazing! Very artistic and modern! The shower was so nice. The bed was so comfy. The gym was great!

The only thing I didn't like was the sink, it was very odd, but cool design. It wasn't practical.

I'd recommend this hotel to a younger more hip demographic. Overall, I loved and would happily stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is definitely the best location for someone looking to have fun in NYC. It is in the heart of meatpacking (you are right next to the best clubs, amazing restaurants/bars, highline park, Chelsea Market, etc. You literally have PH-D, one of the best clubs, at the top of the hotel, and the brand new Tao restaurant/club next door.

The hotel itself is definitely geared towards people looking for some fun, so it is not the most family friendly place. It is THE hotel looking for anyone looking to experience the best of NYC hotspots. Rooms are trendy and there is a nice pool area for when its warm out.

I would compare this hotel to the Standard (where I have stayed and liked) but prefer this one much more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Hackensack, New Jersey
Reviewed October 14, 2013

We wanted to stay in the city for a night for our anniversary and we settled on the Dream Downtown.

Now when I say it's a room with a view, yes, I get to see 16th street, but what I really mean it's a room with view inside (aka mirror by the bed). So for all your lovers out there, you get it, and there is really nothing more you need.

I'll only comment on the room and location as we did not venture to what else the property has to offer.

Room, as my wife said, is like a space pod. It was larger than I expected for a NYC hotel and the shower had great water pressure. The toilet however was high off the ground, but should be a non issue for your taller people. It just was a little weird having my legs dangling off like I was a kid in a chair.

Obviously it's a great location just across the street from Chelsea Market and walking distance to many things. It's an easy cab ride to anywhere and has a lovely Citibike station right on 9th Ave. The only bad thing is the people noise coming from 16th street, but I expected it being on the 3rd floor, and on a Saturday night.

As far as the staff, they are excellent, from the Bell and Valet service to the front desk. All trained well and pleasant.

Overall if you need a room with a view, and if you read the whole review, you know what I'm talking about, this is a definite place to book.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor if you're staying on the weekend to avoid the noise.
New York City, New York
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Stopped by the Dream Hotel last night with a few clients who have done very cool, major events at the property. We wanted to check out the bar scene both in the lobby and the basement. We introduced ourselves to the doorman at the basement club. The doorman, who was totally rude and dismissive, told us that we'd need to open a tab for $250 to enter the club. It didn't matter that these people were major clients to the hotel. We headed to the lobby and asked who was MOD. A guy at the front desk (Pat?) said he was manager on duty and offered to speak to the venue manager to help us experience the club for one drink. He told us to wait in the lobby and have a drink at the lobby bar - which was quite a scene itself. We waited and waited. We watched the manager chat up girls at the front desk. I spoke to him again and he said he was waiting for someone to relive him since the other person was a new employee. After another 20 minutes, it was clear that he was ignoring us so we gave up and lefted.

My clients run 2 different software companies in the neighborhood and have spent over $150K on events alone at the Dream. It was embarassing that they got zero consideration from senior hotel management. While the Dream is happy to tap corporate budgets during the week, its clear that the property is just a little too cool on weekends and the managers in charge don't get it.

There's a wierd vibe here that does not reflect the values the corporate chain promotes and I agree with other reviews who've had similar expeiences with club management. With all the options opening in the Chelsea and Meatpacking district, I think my clients will take their business elsewhere.

If I were running the Wyndam Hotel group, I'd shop this property and see for yourself. This property seems mismanaged and worse, a little scary on a Saturday night.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled on business