“I have never felt so uncomfortable staying somewhere” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #96 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Denver, Colorado
“I have never felt so uncomfortable staying somewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2013

Unless you are a snobby upper class person, staying here will not be even somewhat pleasent. The place is filled from start to finish with drunk people wondering around. The pool....is not there for swimming lesiourly, it is there for more drunk people to stand around and judge each other. There is nothing relaxing about this place because even the lobby has a dj at night. The people were rude, I was groped by several men while walking to the elevator at night. Not to mention that even though we paid a ton of money to stay there, we werent aloud to go up to the rooftop at all. We were told, you had to reserve a table for a $2000 minimum. The men at the door were extremly rude and talked to you like you were garbage. It was like a secret society. You had to be somebody important to get through certain areas and elevators to secret places. It really was insane. lol. The area is great but I would never ever stay here again. Not my scene. I am all for going to the club but it was way to stuffy for me. Not inviting at all.
The hotel itself is clean and nice but dont touch anything in the room everything is on a sensor and you will be charged for it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Michael L, General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear Daniella,

Thank you for your honest and candid feedback. I will be the first one to say that this hotel is not for everybody. But this property is designed and operated with the hotel guest as the # 1 priority. We are sorry that we did not live up to your expectations. I would love to talk to you further about the details of your stay. Please let me know if there is a time that is convenient to touch base with you?

Kind Regards,

Managing Director

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (820)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

Tereasa lausell from front desk is the best !!! She should b the boss !!!

I got the best costumer care in america from a very nice lady name : tereasa lausell from front desk !!!
The hotel is as good as the person in the front !!!

Loved the restaurant !
The roof top bar is awesome !
The rooms are beautiful !
And the staff is amazing !!!

• Stayed May 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael L, General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, June 25, 2013
Dear Yogev,

Teresa is a boss, like Rick Ross! We call her T Breezy and she is one of the best in the business. I refuse to open hotels without her. So glad to hear you enjoyed your stay with us. Please come back anytime.

King Regards,
Miami
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

I've stayed at DDT multiple times since inception in 2011. The design, decor, ambiance and more importantly the people that work here never cease to amaze me. Recognition as a multiple repeat guest and more so recollection of particular details about previous stays, make the managerial staff at this property second to none. They deliver.
See you on the next..
JB

Room Tip: North tower has city views. South tower has views of courtyard and pool. Take your pic, it will suit...
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

Beautiful hotel with lots of things going on. I enjoyed the pool this time and the unbelievable bar on the roof.

The beds are excellent with very soft linen - all of us commented on this.

The hotel staff are friendly and professional.

Great location.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Axel F, General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, June 19, 2013
Andrew,

Thank you for singing our praises in Singapore! We’re shipping you a DREAM bed. It should arrive next week!

Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I needn't go into detail about the design achievements or the avant garde clientele that make this hotel the preeminent destination in its category in the city--other reviewers have covered that sufficiently. Rather, I would like to note two things:

1. It's the people that make this hotel work. Design is nothing without service and the service here is top notch. The doormen and bell staff are consistently among the top in the city and truly make the Dream Hotel feel like a second home for me. Vaughn, the Guest Services Manager, has gone out of his way time and again to make sure each visit is better than the last.

2. I'd like to address the negative comments I've read here. Most criticisms seem to be toward the door policy at PHD and the overall price structure. The door policy is consistent with EVERY high end venue in the city. It might feel unfair, but that's NYC not Dream. The same can be said for the pricing. The most fashionable venues in Manhattan are expensive. If this is a problem for a guest, there are many other options available in the city that fit smaller budgets.

Overall, Dream Downtown is the only property in the city to consider if you're looking for contemporary glamour and edgy fun.

1 Thank David S
Dear David,

I would like to post a 5 star review of your 5 star review. You are an exceptionally talented writer! And I must agree on every point. Bravo sir! Bravo!

Budapest, Hungary
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 18, 2013

I used to live in NYC for 6 years, but recently I'm keep coming back on a bi-monthly / quarterly basis due to business. Usually I'm staying at the hotels of the W chain, but this time I made the mistake to give a try to Dream Downtown. I love the area (bars, restaurants, clubs) so this was the main reason for the change and Dream seemed to have a decent atmosphere as well + as a bonus it seemed to have some fun going on in its' clubs. I'm 35, and even though I work hard, I still like to check out good clubs and parties frequently.

Upon arriving to the hotel you immediately spot the "hip" crowd. It has more the vibe of arriving to a club, rather than to a hotel. I would call the energy of the place more itchy than relaxed. Arrival is okay, the receptionist with a mohawk advise that you should stay on a lower level, due to the loud music that's coming from the rooftop club. I thought that was a kind gesture, so he has set my hopes for the staff. (Then it turned into one of the worst NYC service experience ever, but let's talk about it later.)

The rooms and the hotel is generally decently designed. Unfortunately certain aspects are over-designed, when form is against the function but all in all it's great. The room (mine was with an extra sofa) is okay size considering we are in NYC. The bed is too soft for my taste, but still, sleeping was a pleasurable experience. The overly-designed light-switch system is a mess, the hotel should have kept it simple. These systems are fine for your house, where you live and want to give an effort to learn the system, but totally pointless and annoying if you are a traveler, spending only few days at a place. The hand-shower in my bathroom was totally broken and actually missing, only the rain shower was working. I didn't bother to ask for a repair as it seemed like a not so quick fix. So if I were female with long hair, this would have caused me some trouble. Ahhh, one more thing before finishing with the room. The desk is super tiny, if you want to get some work done there, forget it right away. So that's more or less about the room.

Now let's see the amenities and the service.

The pool is certainly a nice touch, but feels a bit awkward and showy (even tho I'm athletic with low body fat) to walk around in your beach shorts at such a tiny space, so this is something I haven't opted into doing. But we have tried some tapas and some water at the pool side. The service was done by a grumpy waitress, who seemingly hated life in general and the prices were slightly overpriced.

Unfortunately the gym is more a cardio room than a proper gym. They have few machines and dumbbells, but even something as basics as a recline-able / decline-able bench or a barbell is not available. They had a fixed bench that's it and 5 do-it-all machines. If you want to do more proper weights training, you better choose New York Sports Club around the block.

Downstairs the bar, first night. The waitress was a kind personality, but not the sharpest knife in the drawer. First, she had no real clue about drinks or cocktails. All she could do is keep on repeating the things what was featured on the menu, when I have asked for something as basic as an Old Fashioned or a Side Car as she had no clue what I was talking about. So actually I'm pretty curious to see why does the hotel employ somebody as a waitress in the bar who has no clue on drinks? The Side Car I have ended up with was horrible unfortunately. So forget about ordering basic cocktails at this place, try going solely with the ones on the drink menu or visit any of the great bars around the neighborhood. Even popping over to Maritime hotel next door makes sense, as they at least have normal liqueur such as Ron Zacapa if you dig rum.

Breakfast was a miserable experience and the first indication of bad service right off the first morning. I have arrived to get my food at 7-7:30am, it was me +1 and an another guy right next table at the whole restaurant. The waiter had problem to take almost every orders and requests. Not just from us, but from the guy at the next table as well. He has mixed up everything possible or just forgot about what we have asked for. Imagine they were messing up everything for 3 people, what would they do, when the place is packed? The food is generally mediocre at the Dream, you better off having breakfast at Pastis down the block or go for lunch / dinner at any restaurants nearby. (Try Serafina and their truffles ravioli, this is a gem.)

So bad service so far. But the rest is just about to come.

On a Tuesday (!!!) night at 9.50pm me and my party was trying to access the club on the rooftop to have few drinks and to check out the view. The "lady" at the entrance wanted to charge us for a $150 / person drink charge as an entrance fee. This was not even a bottle service, this was just an entrance fee per person. We thought this was rather ridiculous, so went to the front desk to ask for help on the entry. In every hotel around the globe - even in Las Vegas - wherever I was staying at, I got free entrance to the club of the hotel. Well not this night, not at Dream. The front desk assistant didn't even bother to understand my problem about the situation, she was keep repeating that the club is not operated by the hotel and entry for a hotel guest is only granted until 9.30pm. I would have even taken her explanation if it's not Tuesday 9.50pm when the whole place was empty. So I have asked for the manager and she has directed me to the guy next to her, the same mohawk guy who was assisting me at check in. All he said was. "Whatever she said to you is the same I can say." What kind of a service and response is that? Is this a way how a manager - if he was any - is dealing with a situation like this? Anyways, we didn't bother, so went to spend our money at an another spot.

So next day, during happy hours we thought to check out this club on the rooftop to see what was so special about it, that the entry would have costed us $150 in drinks per person the previous night. And here comes the joke, this place don't even serve you with quality drinks to spend the $150. You get the same cheap mainstream (Absolut and companion) alcohol that you would get at any mediocre club around the world. Even if you want to spend $150 for drinks, you can't spend it in a proper way. The operators of the place would disaree tho, as 15 shots of vodkas per person might seem right to them... As when I asked the waitress about Ron Zacapa (see I don't give up easily), her answer was "This is not a bar for fancy drinks, this is a place where people come to get drunk." So unless you want to get pissed drunk on cheap booze, forget it, this is not a place for normal, civilized entertainment.

The high-point of my encounter with Dream Downtown was the checkout. Especially, seeing the manager's face, when I have answered with a "Horrible!" when she was asking about my Dream experience. She was kind and tried to make up for the bad experience by giving her card to me to seek for her next time, offering support for next visit, bla bla bla, but it was already too late at that point. If you need to get in touch with a manager to get proper service, then it's an indication of a badly managed hotel to me, where I don't want to stay anymore.

All in all, to sum up the Dream Downtown experience, I'd say that this hotel is like a pretty girl, who is looking good on the outside, but when she starts talking to you, all you want is to run, as far and as fast as possible. Certainly this is attractive to certain type of people, I'm just not one of them.

As a flip side I have turned back to W Hotels in LA upon continuing my business trip in the USA and it was such a positive and laid back experience after living the "Dream" in NYC.

Room Tip: Higher rooms might be noise due to the rooftop club.
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank GGrande911
Dear GGrande,

In general, our customer feedback is positive and it’s something we pride ourselves on. I’m grateful that there are no limitations on the length of customer postings on Trip Advisor or I would have missed out on such detailed feedback. You review is a great help for us as we look towards constantly improving in all areas you've mentioned above. Thank you for your candid and honest feedback.

Rome, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 17, 2013

I was hesitant to book this hotel after reading some of the bad reviews on Tripadvisor. I am so glad to have stayed there. The location is just perfect in the most charming area of NewYork; 2 minute walk to Chelsea market, great restaurants, bars, shopping. And the hotel facilities are awesome; spacious quiet rooms, and I never thought a NY hotel would have such a lively outdoor pool. We were in town for business and were a little concerned about noise from the club but we were 2 floors below it and couldn't hear anything at all. I don't think thry get much business traffic there but they attended to all of our needs. My only complait is about the bouncers and club staff. We couldnt go to the club without agreeing to a 200 $ minimum per couple without a table unless we went before 9:30. They are not a pleasant group and are ever present in the lobby and pool. Regardless, we really enjoyed our stay and will definitely stay at this hotel during our next trip to NY.

Room Tip: Stayed in two rooms both very comfortable but the upgrade to a delux king is really worth it. The si...
Dear MorganKJM,

I’m so glad that you didn’t allow a few negative postings about Dream Downtown to dissuade you from trying us out. We love Trip Advisor and are grateful for all our feedback but the truth is, this is a hotel that most people need to experience for themselves. I appreciate your comments about the PH-D staff, while their job is not an easy one, remaining consistently professional and pleasant is always a requirement. I can assure you I will share this feedback with them.