“Hip Hotel, Great Vibe”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #127 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Stayed at the Dream recently and was pleasantly surprised by the ambiance and atmosphere at the hotel. Very hip and cool with a perpetual buzz around the hotel especially in the evenings. The food at the Marble Lane in the lobby was great and so were the drinks. The rooms are modern, with a cool view to the pool, which incidentally has a glass bottom looking down into the lobby !!
Another feature of the hotel is the popular rooftop lounge called PHD,- now this is a tricky one, hotel guests are allowed until 10pm, then the lounge is shut and cleaned and entry back into the lounge is at the discretion of the Door Manger only. So you could be staying here but not enter PHD ever !! I don't really have a problem with that as long as you are "polite" about your entrance policy, being in hospitality i assume that would be a priority criteria, however that's not the case here. The Door Managers are unnecessarily rude and have a laughable attitude, that probably comes from the lack of global travel,exposure,ignorance,instruction or simply just trying too hard to maintain "exclusivity".
I have stayed at similar hotels in NYC, Gansevoort, Mercer, Standard etc and have been to the finest clubs bars lounges all over the world and in NYC, including the Boom Boom Room or The Box in the UK, people have "always" been courteous and respectful can't say the same for the Dream.
All in all it was a good stay and happy to stay there again! Do check out the Sliders in the lobby bar !!

P.S. i did get up to PHD post midnight (using some VIP muscle) and it was an eventful night, the NYC skyline from PHD is magnificent.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the pool !!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
Axel F, General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2013

Dear Infinity,

Again, so close to a perfect stay. Perhaps the PH-D door staff’s demeanor was affected by the Knicks recent loss to the Indiana Pacers in the playoffs. Nonetheless, you are 100% right. It’s our business to express ourselves politely and with consideration and for not doing so, I apologize. I will undoubtedly share this posting with the PH-D door staff and work towards improving the way we communicate our policies. We appreciate the honest feedback.

Kind Regards,

Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,681)

Reviewed June 10, 2013

In summary, a gorgeous hotel; incredible service; great location. Expensive, but compared to many other hotels I have stayed at in NY that were tiny, dirty and dark, this was a good value. Beautiful room. Comfortable bed. The lobby has a unique architectural feature -- hint: look up. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful. Only complaint was that it was a bit noisy in my 2nd floor room (from the street) although it did quiet later. Nearby is the Chelsea market, the High Line, the east Village, some great restaurants, and 2 independent bookstores.

Room Tip: Higher floor.

Dear Richmond,

Virginia is for lovers! And we love you back Virginia! A soundproofing initiative is taking place starting in July. To our friendly Trip Advisor readers and posters, we are working on it! We await your return!

Kind Regards,

Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director

Reviewed June 10, 2013

The Dream has been my "go to" hotel in Chelsea for a while now and I don't see changing any time soon. From the greeting by the door man to the helpful front desk team, they have made some great hires and put a premium on service. The rooms are clean, well laid out and comfortable. They also pull in a fun hip crowd which adds to the overall experience. Love the Dream!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I can not align with the merely positive reviews on Dream Hotel downtown.
The hotel has a busy, more club-like atmosphere and it attracts a young trendy crowd but definitely not business travellers who wish to stay in an quieter, relaxing atmosphere. The rooms are small, good bed though, however the lighting system in the room is annoying and I extremely disliked the smell of the washrooms at the lobby floor, where you have breakfast as well. It is definitely not a luxury hotel and you will hear the music from the pool or the roofdeck during the night in your room.

2  Thank JR1Amsterdam
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear JR1Amsterdam,

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate our guest's need for peace and quiet, whether travelling on business or leisure. The vast majority of our guests are actually business travelers. They may however have an elevated taste for excitement, which at Dream Downtown we really handle well.

Please know that the moment a guest expresses concerns regarding unwanted background music we will make every effort to find the quietest rooms possible and with 315 rooms we have plenty of flexibility.

Thank you again for your feedback. With best regards – AXEL

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Just returned from my second stay here. I was almost hesitant to return -- my first visit was great and some of the newer reviews had me worried. Just as with my past stay, I was welcomed at the taxi, the front desk and given a very nice room away from the rooftop bar, which must be the source of noise complaints. The beds here are the most comfortable I've ever slept in. There was a glitch w/my bathroom door, which was addressed. The staff is professional and friendly. Had a good meal in the Marble Lane restaurant and nice bar area for a meeting. The location is fabulous in terms of the neighborhood, local shops and restaurants and subway access. The social scene appears quite vibrant - just people watching for me but enjoyed it.

1  Thank briggsadams
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Stayed at the Dream Downtown for two nights, on business. Best hotel experience of my life! The staff was friendly, helpful and professional at every turn, making sure that I always had what I needed. The rooms are spacious (for Manhattan), and the bed... wow. Cozy, comfy mattress with the softest sheets ever! The fitness center was great, and I spent two afternoons (too short!) relaxing poolside. Pool food was yummy and reasonably priced for the portions (higher prices, but big portions) - I had the chilaquiles with salad. Overall, the experience was luxurious and relaxing, and the staff was wonderful; I'll definitely be back!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Lindsey S
Reviewed June 5, 2013

If you are looking for a trendy hotel, in a happening neighborhood, this is the hotel for you. For a New York hotel, the rooms were pretty spacious. There was plenty of room to maneuver. The bathroom had a speaker that played music or whatever was on the television. The beds were like clouds. I honestly felt like I was sleeping on clouds. They were seriously the softest beds I have ever slept on in my entire life.

From what I can gather during my stay, this is strictly a party hotel, or better yet, a club and pool that has a hotel.

As for the service, while I was checking in, the staff at the front desk were like talking mannequins with no feelings. They weren't bothersome, rude or impolite, but it wasn't exactly the welcoming feeling you'd get at a hotel. The check out process was quick and the staff during that time, worked so fast like they wanted you out. I suppose that isn't so bad if you have to catch a flight, or trying to skip town.

There is a club above currently called PHD Lounge or something to the likes of that. Guests be warned, even if you are staying at the hotel, they'll make you go outside and wait in line to be cherry picked by a pretentious door man. That was one night. Another night, they just let my friend and I head right up stairs. I do remember hearing one say there was a cover charge to get in but I guess that didn't apply to us that night.

Overall, I would stay here again, just based on location and the design of the hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends