New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Dream Downtown
Ranked #101 of 477 Hotels in New York City
“Hip hop Party Hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is my 3rd time at DreamDowntown...and franky, I did returned to this hotel only because I've been given one night free, plus room upgrade during my previous stay...
On that particular time (July 2012) I complained quite lot about the room position, I expressly requested a quiet silent room...instead they put us right under the roof-top lounge bar which is daily playing disco music amost thruough the night!! So be careful when booking your room! this is a very modern and trendy location in Meat-Packing-District; very popular among party-timers! The south tower is the right choice for a quiter staying.
On the other hand, the DreamDownTown is a joy for your eys! There are modern furnitures and innovative designed structures such is the outdoor swimming-pool with transparent floor, right above the lobby area; how about the roof-top lounge bar? it might be keep you awake during the night, but drinks and skycrapes view are excellent! (don't miss the guacamole's appetizer!)

Room Tip: Book rooms at the south tower for quietness...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Axel F, Assitatnt General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Carlo C - now that you are return guest we trust that the 3-stars are the average of your stays - with not so great being the first one and much nicer being the second? We appreciate the good words you have for us - as long as the room is not near our PHD rooftop Lounge. While many guests do not mind the highest floors we will always arrange for a room move if need be, and avoid certain floors for long stay guests in the first place. Again thank you for your feedback! With best regards - AXEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (799)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Francisco, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013

Located across the street from our Chelsea office, The Maritime is a convenient and frequent choice for our business trips to New York. On this trip, I was curious to try The Dream next door but, with several early morning meetings lined up, was nervous about its reputation as a club that happens to have a rooms for rent. Heeding reviewers' advice, I requested an interior room on the sixth floor, halfway between the club noise of the lobby and the rooftop. Other than a few neighbors clomping down the hall, I had no issues with noise and slept well with the blackout curtains.

My King Bronze room was stylish, small, but adequately-sized for one person. The layout of the room -- notably a tiny desk and a closet with the same volume as the minibar -- emphasized that this is a hotel optimized for leisure, not business. While the sight of the lobby transitioned to DJ mode would have appealed to me had I been on vacation, after a long day of meetings, walking through the glam crowd in my business-wear and backpack was not very relaxing. Leisure travelers, The Dream is a hip choice in a great location. But despite The Dream's sleekness and its membership in the Wyndham network, for business travel, The Maritime is more my style.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank Sara S
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

The staff is friendly and helpful. The restaurant, Marble Lane-- very good. The decor, an extravaganza of circular motifs carried throughout, beautiful. Large bar in the lobby plays good music and sets the stage for nightlife. We heeded prior reviews about the noise level in the bar intruding in the bedrooms and stayed on the 6th floor. Our room was large enough and well-furnished in a chic contemporary style. A nice size gym with weights, yoga balls, ellipticals, bikes, and treadmills. Free WIFI, which is always a nice gesture. This hotel is for hipsters who love the downtown scene in the city that never sleeps!

Now for our gripes:

1). The shower was a nightmare. The contractor or design team screwed up the detailing so that the edge of the tub fills while showering and spills ALL over the floor, leaving you with a sopping wet floor and bathmat (eew). We requested extra bath mats and towels everyday from housekeeping to help absorb it all. Ridiculous that this hasn't been remedied. We hope for your sake that the other rooms don't have this design defect.

2). The beds are comfortable and furnished with white linens. Our duvet slipped off and revealed a blood-stained comforter underneath-- we women know what this means! While they tried to hide it with the duvet cover, it is unacceptable to keep any stained linens. To offer them in such condition to guests is a turn-off, to say the least.

• Stayed January 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed here in March 2012 for a Bachelorette party. What an amazing experience!! We got a hook up on the room so I cannot speak on the value, but I am sure it would not have been cheap otherwise. Room size was what is to be expected from a room in NYC. I think we had a larger suit as It had three full size beds, so none of us had to share a bed. The room decor was really deco / futuristic. I specifically remember the cute guy who took us up to the room having to actually explain to us how to "use" the room. It seemed to use the latest technology even for the lights switches. The bathroom was pretty spacious and very modern as well. The shower curtain was made out of chains! Very different.
The lobby was just amazing. As soon as we walked in, we knew the place was going to be very different from your average hotel. Even in the middle of the day it was dark and had a "lounge" feel to it. The people at the front desk were very good looking and sharply dressed. Service impeccable. I locked myself out of the room and was given a key no questions asked.
At night the lobby turned into a lounge with a very large and pretty packed bar. There was a DJ right in the lobby and music was phenomenal. In fact I thought the music and the vibe was actually better than it was upstairs, in the club. We had to really really persuade the bouncer to let us into the club (located at the top floor). It helped having 10 gorgeous girls with me. The club was very large and loud. Didn't notice a dance floor but people were just dancing everywhere.
The location of the hotel was spectacular. It is right across the street from the Chelsea market where you can get a quick bite. Also, meatpacking district is great.
There is a beautiful pool that unfortunately we did not get to use. The pool is situated on the second floor and the floor of the actual swimming pool is glass and can be seen through the ceiling of the lobby.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone young and hip or anyone seeking a not your average hotel experience. Would love to stay there again.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

A lot of potential, but so much to work on. Nice beds, get the whole cool glam thing, and that's why I stayed there, but there are some issues. Biggest thing that pissed me off was I was up at the PHD lounge with a friend and the security guys had the nerve to push me out of one of the couches because I guess they had a "better" candidate to sit there and they said, "get up, get up, get up!" to us. You should never talk to someone like that, let alone a guest of the hotel! I gave them some grief, telling them i was a guest of the hotel, and one guy apologized, knowing the error of their ways, but that should never happen, the others didn't give a crap. The other stuff is minor, like my suitcase not fitting into the closet face down, the soap rack in the shower not having a back and the soap slipping out, and using a ladder instead of a towel rack so you have to grab the ladder when grabbing the towel so it doesn't fall over. Good location, good design, but horrible service and no common sense with the layout.

Stayed January 2013
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, January 23, 2013
Dear Shayle,

Clearly the security officer did not show the kind of courtesy and tact that we expect them to exercise when interacting with our guests and patrons. I am very sorry that you had your stay spoiled by this experience. Be assured that we have met with our security team to reiterate our service culture, which even when PHD transitions into club mode later at night, should always be upheld.

It is my hope that you would reach out to me directly should you return to NYC. We will appreciate an opportunity to redeem ourselves.

With best regards

AXEL
Princeton, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I stayed at the Dream Downtown around the holidays, and found a beautifully decorated lobby with elegant lights, snow and even a huge white bear - all very welcoming, much like the staff, upon arrival. I was impressed with the décor from my entrance through to the room in which I stayed, which had a metallic grey color scheme complete with round windows for the street view, and an exterior to the bathroom wall with a white and grey cloudy, hazy overall feel. The bathroom itself had a sink made of reflective mirrors, which in conjunction with a toilet that reminded me of one you would find on an airplane alongside the shower curtains made of a metal sheet looking like a grater made for a very funky, but wildly fun vibe. The actual room size is what you would expect of a typical New York City hotel room, slightly smaller than one would like, but the ambiance, location, tasty food from the restaurant in the lobby and overall experience make up for it!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Dear TravelMango618 - Thank you for you shiny & metallic review! With several restaurants and lounges on site, large gym and an amazing outdoor pool there is indeed plenty to do besides chilling in your room. For guests in need of more personal space we offer 12 different room types, including suites and our very cool penthouses! Thanks again - AXEL
Stow, Massachusetts, United States
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 18, 2013

I just stayed at Dream Downtown this week and had a great stay there. First off the staff is wonderful. From the momement I arrived I was greeted with friendly people ready to help me with whatever my needs were. I arrived a little early and my room was not ready, they called me when it was ready- early BTW!. It was like this the entire stay... really great customer service. It is a great location, very convenient. The rooms were slightly small, but the beds were unbelievably comfortable. The hotel itself was clean and had a very cool vibe to it. We also ate at the restaurant which was delicious and again an awesome staff. I will definitely be coming back!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business