“Returning customers...”

Ranked #115 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Berlin, Germany
“Returning customers...”
Reviewed December 7, 2012

So - been here a few times. Gave them my feedback multiple times, too. But still, there is not the slightest sign of recognition when I return.

For a luxurious place like the Dream it is quite bizarre, as it only takes a nano second to keep guest notes on record.

I normally book through Expedia because I travel a lot, and all my details are stored with them.
The Dream Downtown always wants me to book directly with them, but I don't see any incentive.
This time I've been in a very small room - though I've had 2 windows, 1 facing the Empire State Building. Went for the Queen sized bed. Had other, bigger rooms before.
But overall, it's always a nice interior.

Anyhow - location's great, with the Meatpacking in walking distance. I like the set-up of the rooms - and once you got used to the switches and heavy bathroom door - all is good.

The other fact: there are a lot of folks partying at the Dream Downtown - be prepared they are sort of clogging the elevator or hanging out in the lobby.

What I really like about the DD - the rooms are spotless clean! The room service/maintenance is fast and efficient, and staff generally is real friendly.

This time an airline lost my baggage, and the receptionist brought it immediately upstairs once it arrived. That's been great.

OK, there's a bit room of improvement still re customer retention. But - you never know.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Dear Zorro - Thank you for your great review. Even though you clearly ensure to review in incognito (as Zorro's should) I would GREATLY appreciate if you reached out to me at afischer@dreamdt.com and share your identity. This is of course no excuse for not acknowledging your return visits. A simple "Is this your first stay?" is usually part of the check-in, as the many reservation systems do not always match up new with older reservations. Rest-assured your review reminded our staff of this simple step so we recognize our much appreciated loyal guests. I hope to say hello the next time around. Viele Gruesse – Axel Fischer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Montclair, New Jersey
Reviewed December 4, 2012

My husband and I booked the Dream Hotel for a night as a treat for my 40th birthday. We had dinner with 3 other couples at their restaurant Marble Lane which was okay, definitely not amazing. After dinner we headed up to our room on the 7th floor. The room was fine but at 12:30am our neighbor was blasting music so loud there might as well have been a party in our room. We were tired so we thought we could sleep, my husband even went out and bought ear plugs so that we didn't have to ruin someone else's good time. Finally at 2am the we couldn't take it anymore, our bed was bouncing from the neighbors music, so we called the front desk. A little while later security arrived to ask our neighbor to turn his music down. He did for about 5 minutes. Then he decided to turn it right back up. So I called the front desk again -- this time our neighbor shut his music off. Then at 8:00am that morning (a Sunday, by the way) the cleaning people decide they need to vacuum right outside our door. I would have gotten more sleep if I had stayed home with my kids!?
I understand that this happens on occasion but the real indignity was when we complained to the Director of Guest Services. She basically told us there was nothing she could do as far as compensation because we had booked the hotel through an outside company. She offered to upgrade us should we decided to stay in the noisiest hotel I've ever been in again (NEVER). And that next time we're in the city we should stop by the hotel and she'd be glad to "buy us a round of drinks!!!" Ha! After spending a total of $1200 in your hotel that night you'd buy us a round of drinks?? Seriously?

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Mel46637
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, December 7, 2012
Dear Mel,

I am very sorry about the sleep deprived night here at Dream Downtown. While the music levels from the neighbor's room across yours were somewhat beyond our control (security intervened twice to resolve this), I do agree that we could have done better in response. This holds true especially after a housekeeper decided, against company policy, to vacuum the hallway at 8:45am.

We have purchased electric sweepers to silently keep our cool black hallway carpets in shape without disturbing or slumbering guests.

I encourage you to please reach out to me at 212 229 2559 and I will gladly discuss how we can make up for the short night.

Best regards

AXEL
Austin, Texas
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I have stayed in many luxury hotels and the Dream lived up to my expectations. Obviously not a family vacation hotel but I think that is obvious. Rooms are nice, not the biggest but standard for NYC boutique hotel. Staff was super nice. What really made it stand out was the knowledgeable concierge staff. All recommendations were spot on and they went above and beyond the call of duty. Literally put me on every single guest list in the meatpacking district without a complaint. When I decided to change my plans at the last minute got me the best table at Le Baron. Never had a problem with noise or getting into the hotels bars including PHD. They took care of their guest as best as possible. I would definitely go back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed December 3, 2012

Rob and the team at the Dream were AMAZING. I give my highest thanks to Tom at concierge who went above and beyond to make the "moment" perfect for myself and my now Fiance. I also want to thank Daniel at the front desk for making check in and the "upgrade" so seamless and perfect. We will 100% be back at the Dream Downtown to stay and thank you so much for everything making such a stressful moment perfect.. Thanks again!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States
Reviewed December 2, 2012

My husband and I stayed here for two nights to get away from our kids and have some fun in a city we love. We lived in NYC for over 10 years and were back to visit friends so we know how fun and loud the city can be. We were excited to stay at the DREAM being that it was a newer hotel in the Meatpacking (we usually stay at the Standard) but we wanted to try out a new place. What a mistake...We checked in and asked for a high floor away from the elevator so it would be more quiet and we got exactly that. The room is very modern and well decorated and the bed is amazingly comfortable. We went out that night and got back to our room about 1AM ready to turn in for the night. Well that was a joke because our room was right below the club so we could not get any sleep at all since the music was basically being played in our room. I tired the white noise machine and the ear plugs they provide (that should have been a clue) but nothing worked. I tried to call the front desk several times but no one answered so we decided to suck it up and try to sleep, but as soon as the club shut down at 4AM the party kept going in the rooms on the floor. I finally got through to the front desk at 5AM and they sent up security and promised to switch our room tomorrow. I thought finally I was going to get some sleep, but the clean up of the club started and all we heard were loud footsteps and furniture being moved overhead. We finally fell asleep at 7am and slept for a few hours, but it totally ruined our day. The fact that they would even check someone into that room without warning them is despicable. I stay in hotels at least once a week for work and I have never had a worse experience. The management was extremely nice and very sorry for the inconvenience. They did move us into the "quiet tower" the next night but there is no excuse for the previous night. We were very pleased with the room we had in the "quiet tower" until 1AM again when the 6 girls sharing a room next to us decided to go in and out until 4am. The walls are paper thin the doors slam every two minutes. You can hear everything in this hotel. The only people who will like this hotel is if you plan to party all night long and not sleep at all which is totally fine, but those are not ALL the people staying there. If you want to get any sleep at all DO NOT STAY HERE. It was by far the worst hotel experience I have ever had in my life and I have stayed everywhere from The Four Seasons to a Days INN.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Angela Z
Dear Angela Z,

It looks like you felt we deserved a double whammy after Vincent Z already posted a punishing review regarding the same reservation a few days prior. I hope to hear form either one of you and will appreciate the opportunity to discuss your stay.

Best regards

AXEL
Reviewed November 30, 2012

Dream Downtown met all my expectations, it was fun and cool all the way through my stay. Eccellent staff and helpful, quick room service and all questions answered, not to forget the complimentary champagne. But this is the hotel to visit when you are in the "hip and cool mood" and looking for some fun and partylike environment.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 28, 2012

From the moment we walked in we couldn't get over the décor of the hotel. The modern, luxurious, dimly lit lobby was stunning and accompanied by kind, friendly, very attentive staff. We were in town for a birthday and the Dream made it special by providing complimentary cupcakes and a hand written birthday card.
The rooms were spacious and very clean. It helped greatly that the hotel is only a year old.
In the evenings there was a DJ in the lobby which greatly contributed to setting the mood for a fun night out in the city.
Every staff member from the housekeeping department to the management was respectful and provided each guest with first class service.
I look forward to visiting the Dream on my next visit to NYC!
p.s. the beds are sooo comfortable!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends