“Nice, dotted hotel with excellent bed”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #129 of 473 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed October 29, 2012

"Dotted" hotel in meatpacker district (first time I stay in the area).
Good room (30 sqm + approx. 10 sqm bathroom). Nice, clean and welcoming room and bath, but sink was clogged.
Excellent bed
Wonderful pool (you can swim above the reception) and good fitness area.
Other points on my check-list: iron, fast and good wireless internet, stuffed but expensive mini bar, a small work desk and big flat screen TV (I seldom se TV).
Check out the PHD bar on the roof.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Leif Håvar K
Write a ReviewReviews (3,713)

Reviewed October 28, 2012

I had the misfortune of staying at this hotel in september this year and to say I was disappointed would be a complete understatement. The staff were so RUDE! We would open the doors for the door men, the front desk staff were unaccommodating, pretentious and rude, management was no better. The only positive experience we had was one lovely lady at concierge. Apart from this it was really atrocious. I agree with the previous comment- our draws would not open, the rooms looked tired and old, the music was so loud at ridiculous hours (4am). Highly recommend against staying here... i definitely will not be returning.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lexi R
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded October 29, 2012

Dear Lexi R,

We are really trying to figure out what happened back in September that earned us a “disgusting” headline. I hope you will give me an opportunity to discuss your stay as it is beyond me that out of all things the entire staff treated you rudely. Having a room exposed to one of our nightlife venues may be frustrating but should receive only an understanding and accommodating response from any of our staff. I will greatly appreciate if you emailed me at afischer@dreamdt.com to discuss what went wrong.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

The staff were consistently rude and unhelpful, example, after being kept up till after 3.30am by pumping music front office suggested next night I should come down and get some earplugs to block out music. No eye contact by staff let alone a smile of greeting. Rooms were tired and had stained& peeling wall paper and drawers that wouldn't open. Bathroom basin always blocked. Do yourself a favor don't stay here. New York is amazing, but the dream hotel a nightmare.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
5  Thank Annie R

Dear Annie R,

I am very sorry that your stay was so unsatisfactory. I have no excuse to offer and encourage you to contact me directly at afischer@dreamdt.com to discuss your stay.

Even with over 300 rooms some of them are close to our nightlife venues and not every guest prefers to party along. We will always move guest to a quieter room if this is available, but when all options are exhausted then our sound machines and sometimes earplugs may be offered as a last resort. Your reference to our staff is most troubling (and most unusual) - we will certainly pay more attention on how we handle similar situations.

I really would appreciate an opportunity to talk to you about your impressions here at Dream Downtown. In the meantime please accept my apologies.

Thank you in advance for your time. I look forward to hearing from you.

AXEL

Reviewed October 24, 2012

I had a very unfortunate experience with this hotel on 23rd October. As is my normal practice, when I arrive in a city very early (this time 05.30 from Brazil) I reserve a hotel for the night before, indicating that there will be a late check in, so that I can go straight to the room when I arrive. For the first time in more than 20 years of this practice, I received very poor treatment on checking in.

When I arrived, the receptionists looked confused and worried and explained that my room was not quite ready, and they would need to speak to the manager. Departing to speak with the manager for 5 minutes, they came back and explained that as I was supposed to have been in the night before (which I already knew) I would have to pay for the room. I explained that that was not a problem, for the reasons discussed. It was then put to me that my room needed to be checked by housekeeping, as it was not ready for occupation. When I pressed it was explained to me that the room had been turned down the night before and I was not allowed to go to a room that had been turned down as that is not how they present their rooms they said. When I challenged them, and explained that that would probably have been the same position had I turned up at midnight, there was an embarrassed lack of response.

It took a total of 30 minutes to check in that morning. I was left with the very strong impression that my room had been let, but they denied it absolutely, insisted on charging me and overall took 30 minutes to check me in. I leave you to draw your own conclusions. I was staying at the hotel with two other business colleagues, a total of 10 nights occupation. Their treatment of me will result in me never visiting them again.

Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank Peter H

Dear Peter H,

When I learned about the delay of your check-in during our morning briefing (and shortly later through your Tripadvisor review) it was clear that your check-in should have been handled a quicker than it did. The Front Office Manger should have simply expedited the process when it became clear that Housekeeping did not immediately get to inspect and service the room.

We had tried to get in touch several times while you were on property and left a voicemail. Our Guest Services Manager Stephanie also sent an apology amenity which we hope you received.

Please be assured that we did not just resell your room. Unless guests inform us of their late arrival the reservation will become automatically inactive, a “no-show”, and the room is released back into inventory at about 2am. We are always prepared that a guest arrives a day late, but it requires that a) the reservation is again activated and b) HSK will inspect the room (occupied or not) to make sure the room is still in good condition. Also the turndown of the bed needed to be reversed. Again – this should have been handled quickly and efficiently so to not delay your check-in after a night of travel.

I am very sorry and apologize for your stay starting off on such a bitter note and look forward to hearing back from you after I responded to your personal email to me.

With best regards

AXEL FISCHER

Reviewed October 24, 2012

This is a very stylish hotel located in chelsea/meatpack district. The location is great, being central manhattan you can really walk everywhere.
The hotel is really trendy on friday and saturday night, as lots of people arrive to spend the evening at the rooftop lounge.
The standard rooms are little small but the furniture is cool and amenities are super (Etro).
There is a swimming pool (small) and gymn.
Do not have breakfast at the hotel as expensive and the service is very slow.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Alessandra A
Reviewed October 22, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is a great place, very upbeat modern and sophisticated chic atmosphere. I stayed in the king gold with pool access such a conversation piece.. Although we did not take a dip since its October but we did veg out on the chairs and enjoyed cocktails... The guy (I wish I got his name) asked my friend and I what the occasion for our stay and it was our B-Day. Upon arrival of our return from walking around the concrete jungle he sent up a complimentary bottle of champagne, SO SWEET. The technology in our room was so Fetch ùber cool.. Can't really explain it just have to experience it!
BUT those snots who operate the rooftop events after hours needs a swift kick to the head! So lucky I'm a license health professional! But Ultimately I loved this hotel and my experience.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank Sharifa W
Reviewed October 19, 2012

Loved the hotel, accommodations, etc. Very modern. Husband and I stayed during the NYC Wine & Food Festival, live in Phoenix, AZ, and this was one of the four hotels you could book through the festival. On Saturday, October 13th, the one thing that kind of touched a nerve for us was the floor guys and waitresses in the lounge bar, although friendly (aside from one waitress), kept kicking people out of their lobby banquettes, indicating they were reserved. The Food Network media people evidently had them reserved as part of an afternoon event which was fine, however, once 5 o'clock hit, they were booted out, and reserved signs remained on the tables. We sat at one of the banquettes anyway, and were never offered a cocktail, so my husband went to the bar. Shortly thereafter, one of the floor guys said our banquette was reserved from 6 to 7, and asked us to move. We moved over to another banquette and weren't asked to leave that one, however, people in other banquettes were also asked to move. Again, no offer of a cocktail, so another trip to the bar. When the unsmiling waitress put the reserved sign back in the middle of our table, which we had moved aside, I asked her what the situation was, and why they were reserving all the banquettes. She was it was reserved for "people". Really? Imagine that! The remarkable thing about this was, NO parties ever showed up to claim their "reserved" banquettes. Lobby lounges are just that, they are for hotel guests, and frankly, should not be reserved at all. We had dinner at Marble Lane for an hour or so, walked by the banquettes, and the people who sat at those banquettes were people who just took them over when we were in there, as we did, reserved sign at all. Shame on you for reserving banquettes for no purpose. It's bad enough that you have to order bottle service starting at $1,000.00 to even claim a table in the rooftop lounge, PhD, but you can't even sit in the lobby without getting booted out? We ordered a glass of wine in PhD, but left before the inevitable removal from our seating. I couldn't drink a whole bottle of vodka if my life depended on it! I am happy your nightclub brings you so much revenue, but your hotel guests should ALWAYS be paramount. My husband and I are not slackers, and are always dressed elegantly for any occasion in NYC, so it's not like we were unpresentable specimens.

Room Tip: Floors 9 or lower to avoid nightclub noise. Only base average rating for service on our experience...