“Nice Place-Small Room”

Ranked #116 of 468 Hotels in New York City
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Nice Place-Small Room”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We won a trip to NY and they put us up at the Dream Downtown. The staff was very, very friendly.This is an upscale property with some unique architectural touches.They cater to the young, beautiful, "too hip for the room" crowd.
The rooms are quite small and it's not easy for two people to move around at the same time. The rooftop disco pumps the music out until around 3:00 am so bring earplugs if you plan to sleep. Even though you can adjust the temperature, the thermostat has a motion sensor so once you lay down in bed it thinks the room is empty and defaults to its own setting. The hotel is only 2 years old so we were surprised that the rooms showed so much wear. We ordered coffee from room service before 7:00 am and canceled it when it was not delivered in 25 minutes. The maids left no washcloths one day and no extra bath tissue the next day. We had breakfast in their restaurant. The food was OK but if it weren't for the bus boy we would have had no service at all (and the room was not busy.) People we met raved about the steaks they had there the previous night, though.

Room Tip: Some rooms have a tiny balcony which might help with the claustrophobia.
2 Thank wj5656
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Dear Eandjwein,

First of all thank you so much for mentioning the positives and, above all, pointing out our great staff. I also want to apologize about some of the shortfalls you mentioned.

Please know that we have are just wrapping up a maintenance program to restore most of the original glory. As a new building we learned that some of the unique materials did not hold up so well and we are making corrections. As for size our standard rooms are cozy but they are definitely in line with other competing boutique hotels. We do offer 12 room types for every taste and budget with our silver and gold category rooms being rather generous in size. We addressed your service concerns with housekeeping and in room dining to improve our consistency and speed of service.

Thank you again for your time and writing about our hotel. Should you be back in the city please reach out to us!

With best regards - AXEL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (834)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
FFM
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We had a lot of fun here. Book this hotel if you long for some serious clubbing. The whole interior looks like club from the entrance on to the rooms. It too has a real night club and a cool terrace and swimming pool. We have experienced the staff as easy going and helpful. Neighbourhood is great too, with tons of restaurants, the Chelsea market, clubs, arts...

1 Thank 529GregN
Asheville, North Carolina, United States
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I booked this hotel as a place for my parter and I to stay at while we got married in New York. We are from Asheville North Carolina.

This place is incredible! We were greeted at the curb side like movie stars and they some how sent a radio message to the front desk that we were coming as when we got there they greeted us by name.

The hotel is modern, chic, hip, swank and breathtaking.

Now we are young at heart. I'm 46 and my partner is 52. You come to this hotel for one of many reasons.

You love chic modern hotels
You like to be scene
You like to feel young again
You want to feel alive

Don't come if you like a cookie cutter hotel like Hilton.

They found out we were getting married and sent up a bottle of champaign. Very sweet.

Staff is very professional and hip.

To the people who write the negative reviews.

Yes there is a nightclub on the top floor, I suggest you don't get a room above 10th. We stayed on 10th and go to bed early and had no noise problems at all. And really to the lady who did not like the modern amenities and complained about the wall toilet...how do you know what a prison toilet looks like is the real question.

This is a hotel for all ages. We saw hip guests in all age categories. Chic grandmas and chill hipsters.

We will be back on our next trip to the city!

Thanks to a wonderfully staff!

P.S.

My parter and I own a restaurant so we know what good hospitality looks like.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Tom C
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 17, 2012

I stayed here for 4 nights on a recent business trip.

The hotel is beautifully designed with a Gaudi feel. It feels like a real event and is located right next to the meat packing district. The room continued in this theme and had high ceilings and was very comfortable. The hotel felt brand new. I ate in the restaurant which was excellent, and also visited the basement bar and the rooftop bar, PhD, which is probably one of the most fashionable bars in the city currently. It has an unbelievable view and if you are a guest you avoid the enormous queues to get in.

On top of this, all of the hotel staff were extremely helpful and professional, probably more so than any other hotel I have stayed in, certainly much more than the major chain business hotels - they could not have been more helpful when I had various issues that needed soriting out very quickly.

We have now made this the first choice hotel for our business and is my first recommendation to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank AndrewFairbrother
Boston
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Let me preference this review by saying I am probably unfairly rating this hotel. This hotel is getting a "poor" rating from me for 1 thing and 1 thing alone...

I stayed at this hotel on business- it's not a the hotel I would typically stay at in NYC for business, but I was traveling with a few people who booked this hotel on my behalf and the rate was super cheap (for NYC standards).

My biggest complaint, my primary reason for "dinging" this hotel is due to the noise. I had a room on the 2nd floor- my walls were vibrating from the music below us (coming from the lobby/bar area). The music went on and on until very late in the evening (well past 1am). I called down to the front desk and they promptly brought me earplugs- but honestly, even with earplugs I could still hear the music (that is how loud it was). And this is my 1 thing that makes the entire experience "poor".

I will say, the rooms themselves are very cool- concrete floors, swanky lights and fancy fixtures (though the closet was so small could barely fit a suit in it).

The beds were comfortable and I probably would have gotten a great night's rest if it wasn't for the non-stop party below me.

Service was good- the hotel staff responded very quickly to complaints.

Overall, I would not recommend this hotel for business. I think it is a good hotel if you are ready to party. Not a place for kids either.

I will not be back- I value sleep and peace too much to stay here ever again.

Room Tip: If you must stay here, ask for the highest floor possible and away from the street and away from the...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank JJFigs
Dear JJFigs,

I am very sorry that our second floor got in the way of what you describe could have otherwise been a great experience. As stated in many of my responses – for the few rooms that do get affected by our nightlife outlets we always will try to move our guests to a quiet floor (which most are). It ooks like with the hotel being currenlty at its busiest we weren't bale to do this on a single night stay.

We would greatly appreciate an opportunity to redeem ourselves and would love to hear from you to discuss a return visit. My email is afischer@dreamdt.com. I hope to hear back from you.

With best regards - AXEL
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed October 17, 2012

This is the SEXIEST hotel in new york at the moment. The hotel GREAT, scene GREAT, and the people GREAT. If you are a downtown person the location is the best and the property is beautiful. I will try the Miami location in Jan for new years.

Room Tip: Stay in the tower overlooking the pool
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank ANTHONY F
Miami, Florida
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Truly a beautiful property and a great location. Unfortunately management has to decide whether they want to be in the club or hospitality business. PH-D, the night club on the Penthouse floor (12th floor) is obviously a very successful venture and a huge profit center for the hotel. Our whole stay was ruined by the constant late night thumping coming from the 12th floor 7 nights a week (most nights of our stay until 4 am). When we complained about the noise the first time, we were asked if we needed ear plugs and if we knew how to operate the Brookstone machine provided in the room (that makes silly wave and other sounds). We eventually tried a different room on a lower floor which was supposed to be quiet, but could still hear the the thumping of the speakers. We spoke to a manager the morning we left and they would not make any accommodations. The only offer was a discounted rate and upgrade on a future visit. Really? We love trendy hotels but will pick one of the dozens of other boutique hotels in NYC next time, where one can get better service and a good night sleep.

1 Thank RdRunr_7
Axel F, Assistant General Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
Dear RdRunr_7,

We very much understand your concern and please be assured that we are sensitive to the many different preferences guests have when they stay at our hotel.

With that in mind we try to find a balance between offering an exciting lifestyle property and still allowing a business traveler that appreciates our unique property to have a relaxing and productive stay in the comfort of their rooms.

I apologize that your initial room was evidently a bit close to our rooftop PHD Lounge. Most of our 316 rooms are “safe” in this respect and we try everything to accommodate guest request for a quieter location by moving and even upgrading them as quickly as possible. The sound machine and even earplugs are our last resort when occupancy and availability do not allow us to move a guest immediately. By all means this is intended to be a temporary solution.

I agree that we could have done better in making up for your experience and I apologize that you left unsatisfied with the solution offered.

Please reach out to me at afischer@dreamdt.com to discuss your stay further.

We look forward to hearing back from you.

With best regards