“The Perfect Summertime Getaway in NYC”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #114 of 468 Hotels in New York City
New York, New York, United States
“The Perfect Summertime Getaway in NYC”
Reviewed May 25, 2012

As a NYC resident, I recently chose The Dream Downtown as my staycation location of choice. What I didn't know was how much I was going to enjoy the unexpected amenities.

Not just the awesome stylings and great rooftop club and bar, but the recently opened pool - which, if I may say - was fantastic. Spent two days, a Saturday and Sunday, poolside, enjoying cocktails, great music, and what is the perfect downtown pool set up.

As a NYC resident, I couldn't think of a better spot to get away to!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (835)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed May 23, 2012

i travel to nyc frequently and have always appreciated the TAO nightclub and restaurant properties. the Dream is no different, high end but fun!

1 Thank Jonas S
Stuttgart, Germany
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Great Hotel, Perfect Location, Fantastic Staff, cool crowd.
Not more to say, just go & stay!

Great Bar, cool Rooftop - interesting Pool Area and Lobby! You really need to go and see it yourself.
Location is perfect - just a few steps away of Meatpacking - great Restaurant and Bars around - cool neighbourhood, great Shoping area!

Really friendly and helpful management, will definately come back and tray with the enitre team!
THANK YOU DREAM HOTEL - I had a fantastic stay with you!!

1 Thank In_s_M187291
Houston, Texas
Reviewed May 23, 2012 via mobile

Our last night in NYC we were not pleased with the hotel we were in (over priced for what you get), so we decided to pick Dream. I was very glad we made this choice. The rooms are a little small but make up for it in comfort and accommodations. The bed was extremely comfortable!!! I enjoyed using the spa sounds on the nightstand to help me fall asleep. The lighting is adjustable all over the room and gives you various ambiances!! The staff were all friendly and extra accommodating. Enjoyed the tv/computer that allowed us to view the hotel restaurant menu on the television. The food in the restaurant was great. Across from Chelsea Market and walking distance to lots a great spots! This is a busy hotel with a popular club up top. Next time in NYC we will be staying here!!!

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I travel a lot for business and stay in many hotels. I can honestly say that I have never been so disappointed in hotel service. I called the night I checked in to ask for a different room because the shower would not stop running and the toilet was not flushing. They did not call me back so at 11:00pm I called again. I was told someone would be up to fix it in the morning and if it was not fixed they would find me another room. When I returned from work the next day I don't think anyone had been to the room because the shower was still running the toilet still was not flushing properly. On top of that...I had to use my cell phone to call the front desk because the room phone was not working. The maintenance guy finally came to the door as I was checking out two days later. I never complain, but today put me over the top. I called your lost and found this morning because I left something in the room. The man took my number and told me he would call me back in a few minutes after he checked the lot and found. I never received a return phone call.

1 Thank TravelUSA_12
dreamdowntown, Manager at Dream Downtown, responded to this review, May 23, 2012
Dear TravelUSA_12,

Please allow me to sincerely and profoundly apologize for what is a regrettable and certainly avoidable set of circumstances. I prefer not to make excuses. We got it wrong and the only thing that matters now is learning from these missteps, which we will share with the staff here, and getting it right by you. And getting it right is what we’re committed to doing. I strongly urge you to please contact me directly as I have some ideas on how to do that. I’m grateful to you for taking the time to share this constructive feedback with us.

Warm regards,
Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed May 21, 2012

Been here before, and LOVE the rooms facing the Empire State Building. The view is stunning and totally mesmerizing. The whole set-up is made for sophisticated design addicts, and yes, I fell for this place.

There's only 2 tweaks I'd highly suggest:

Make all spaces available to hotel guests!
1) After spending hundreds of dollars at the Marble Lane steak joint with friends, we were not allowed up to the rooftop bar 'because it's run by a different company' after a certain time in the evening (the concierge said...). That feels a bit odd when a returning guest is not only staying here weeks in a row, but also spending money in the hotel. My friend, working for DvF, and I were quite annoyed over this bizarre policy.

Not only charge, but change the laundry service!
2) The laundry service is totally inacceptable - though I complained about the strong chemical smell and the dirt not gone but rather ironed in, nothing's been done to mitigate this issue. Dropped my clothes another time at the laundry same street, a block away to the left - and it's been returned with the same smell, and also insufficiently cleaned. Assuming that the Dream Downtown is using their services. I'd highly recommend hiring another laundry company, somewhere.

But apart from that - I'd go back.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2012

A great hotel in a really good location for Meatpacking district restaurants and bars.
Fun bar on the roof terrace

Thank WestLondon Brac... L