“Fab times @ Dream Downtown :)”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #123 of 466 Hotels in New York City
Miami
“Fab times @ Dream Downtown :)”
Reviewed December 19, 2011

The Dream Downtown has now become my hotel of choice in NYC. For those that like to stay in the middle of the action this hotel is for you. I've tried the Gansevoort and must say this hotel surpasses it by far. The Lobby is one big lounge...very cozy and inviting...great crowd..DJ comes out in the evenings and its a great place to just sit back and have a drink.

The only negative comment I have to include is the size of the room which are a tad small (but hey this is NYC)..and it also had a weird smell to it...I asked the housekeeper if this was normal but she didn't seem to understand what I was asking.

The restaurant (Marble Lane) and Bar just off the lobby are pretty great as well. Not to mention the happening PH-D upstairs. If you are looking for a quiet family oriented or business oriented hotel this isn't for you. It doesn't even have a business center. But if you're a social bird looking for a great time...confirm now.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (846)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Topanga, California, United States
Reviewed December 18, 2011

I stay at the Dream regular on business. The penthouse night club is amazing and Marble Lane serves a great rib eye. Plus located in the Meat Packing District where other great clubs are. I highly recommend the Dream

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Boston
Reviewed December 18, 2011

The hotel itself is neat, and the atmosphere is cool.
The rooms are neat looking, but the way they are designed you actually have to call the engineer who is on-call to come help you if you want to turn off the bright overhead lights and just have on the reading lamps. I asked the engineer if he did this all night and he said yes.

The other thing that was odd was the sink in the bathroom. It is the most totally user un-friendly sink ever desgined. It seems like someone was afraid to call the desinger on his extremely flawed and unusable sink, so they just installed them and ran.

On the bright side, the beds are really soft and comfy and the rooms look neat.
It is so sleek and modern, and you expect everything to be super high-tech. Like, you press a button and doors should make a star trek sound as they swoosh open. But instead it is hilarious that everything is kinda not super functional, and when the room was super stuffy and warm I had to turn on the ac and the ungodly sound that made was a loud grinding sound.

Still, all-in-all it was a good place for the money spent, and we wished we'd had time to check out the pool, as it looked neat from underneath.

Room Tip: loud music in club downstairs, so stay up high for more quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed December 18, 2011

Before arriving at Dream Downtown, I spoke with Frank in reservations.
He assured me that all would be right for my arrival, and he was 100% correct!
Upon entering the hotel, Vaughn Davis' capable bell staff with the warm hospitality of B & B proprietors. Everyone at the front desk followed suit, and ensured that my stay at Dream Downtown would a pleasurable one.
The rooms and public areas are impeccably clean. The restaurant does lack the menu creativity and execution to match the ambiance of the hotel
The downtown location was not too far a walk to midtown, and right at the door to the West Village. Uptown is just a short subway ride. All in all, a great place to stay in NYC.

Room Tip: Try not to be close to elevator.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Throughout the years, my love affair with NYC has been somewhat bittersweet. Some of my fondest memories stem from my time there - my 21st birthday, the day (technically early morning) I first stumbled across Pop Burger, the numerous MPD bars and clubs, the ridiculous queue for a Kati Roll, the infamous brunch parties, Brooklyn Bridge at night, Black Cod at Koi, and the many a random night out with some of New York's finest.

On the other hand, however, you also have the not so fond memories - my 25th birthday, the "random" airport inspections and numerous hours spent in NY Customs and Immigration for yet another "random" interrogation - if that's what the Americans call "random", I should really play their lottery more often. So when we rocked up to the Big Apple for yet another birthday celebration, I was somewhat apprehensive as to which side of the fence this holiday would fall. "Mentally Scarred" or "Happy Hols".

The hotel choice was largely down to our sketchy travel agent, I wasn't sure what to expect, and although I was ill, I had to endure a 50 minute taxi ride with the windows open in an NYC winter as my brother would otherwise get travel sick sat in the back of a cab and 'Abdul' wouldn't let him ride shotgun and alleviate the problem. It wasn't looking good. "Mentally Scarred" was racking up points.

But this all changed when we finally arrived at the hotel. It's difficult not to be impressed when you see this place for the first time. The world's largest (and best looking) cheese-grater! After a quick Google images search on the place, I was reassured to see that I wasn't the only one who made such a connection! The looks certainly do not fade when you walk in. The lobby is split between a mood-lit hotel reception and a very cool looking restaurant and bar with even cooler hanging globe lights. We arrived at approx 7pm and there was certainly a buzz around the place. Check-in was quick and effortless and we even received an unexpected welcome/introduction from the Guests Services Manager on duty that night which I thought was a nice touch.

There was a little confusion as to which elevator we needed, but soon after we found ourselves in our adjoining rooms on the third floor where the distinguishing signs of good service continued - the door between the two rooms had been unlocked for us, for example, and we were welcomed to the hotel with a hand-written note left in each room.

The rooms themselves were of a good size, not what you would call extravagant but certainly more than adequate given the location. You have all the usual trimmings you would expect to see, a well stocked (and pricey) mini-bar, flat screen tv/monitor, complimentary wi-fi etc. but if we really were pushed to make complaints, I would say that the wardrobe could be a little bigger and they could provide you with more hangers and hanging space but this really is clutching at straws and nothing a quick call to house-keeping couldn't fix. A quick warning to the uninitiated – beware of removing items from the mini-bar for longer than 30 seconds as they are automatically charged to your bill (just laugh at the “intimacy pack” from inside the drawer)!

The location is exceptional. Around the corner from my regular haunts, Pop Burger, Chelsea Market and the iconic MPD and literally a stone’s throw away from some of the best restaurants NYC has to offer.

Concierge were extremely helpful to get us to all the right places on an otherwise relatively quiet weekend in New York (Thanks-Giving) and Guests Services more so – especially in braving the winds and rain when my friend called through requesting boxer- shorts for himself after he had realised he had brought too few with him for the trip!

If you can, certainly try PHD for the views of the NY skyline, music and lethal caipiroskas. I’ve been told Electric Rooms downstairs is also worth a shot, but it was (unsurprisingly) quiet when we tried it on a Sunday night.

Things you’ll remember if staying here:
the glass-floored swimming pool on the first floor which you can see from the hotel lobby
the view of NYC skyline from PHD
great service
the location
the most comfortable hotel beds in NYC

All in all, aside from all of the alcohol-related stories I could share with you here, it was certainly a ‘Happy Hol’ and largely down to the fantastic hotel and its staff. Look forward to my return trip very soon!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Haz A
New York City, New York
Reviewed December 15, 2011

Wife and I spent our annual pre-Christmas night out at the DD this past Saturday. We reserved a pool access room and were very happy with our stay. We have stayed at The Standard and Hotel Gansevoort many many times, but the DD is our new home. We loved the lobby vibe and after dinner at Marble Lane we danced our way through the lobby to enjoy the DJ and a few more cocktails.

We have already reserved a stay for our summer night out in July at the DD and are looking forward to partying around the pool. We would have given the hotel 5 stars if the high tech (not for us) light switches would have worked and the HVAC unit did not turn on and off every five minutes. At 1:30am we could have called the front desk to complain, but did not want to be bothered, lucky enough the night was pleasant so we just left the sliding glass door open slightly.

The bathroom was very nice and the bed extra comfortable. If you are headed to the Meatpacking District or Chelsea look no further that the Dream Downtown.

Tony Spad

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and reserve the King executive. It has direct access to the pool deck and a p...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Tonyspad
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 13, 2011

On our recent trip to NYC, we chose to stay at the Dream Downtown in Chelsea. It is a fantastic hotel in a great location. Easy access to the restaurants, nightlife and shopping of Chelsea and the Meat Packing district, right across from the Chelsea Market, and also close to the West Village. The hotel itself has a very cool vibe (I mean, where else can you sip on a cocktail in the lobby listening to great music and see up into the pool thanks to an acrylic bottom. And the club up on the roof, PhD, has amazing views of the Empire State building and the Midtown skyline.

As for the rooms, they are very nice and comfortable. We had a room with a nice view (similar to the view from PhD). It was very chic and modern, but very warm and comfortable at the same time.

Service is great. Everyone was very friendly and not 'too cool for school'. Really, my only complaint was it took too long to flag down a cocktail waitress on Saturday night... Hopefully they work on increasing the wait staff because people were at least 3 deep at the bar.

Room Tip: get a high floor with a north-facing view
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business