“Great stay”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #134 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 18, 2011

Really good stay. Will definitely be returning. Having lived in Midtown Manhattan for a year, when I was coming back for a holiday I wanted to try downtown and this hotel was ideal.

Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo

Reviewed September 17, 2011

What a fun hotel with the most helpful and friendly staff. We are older and appreciated everyone from the doorman to the concierge -- no "attitude" here! The rooms are smallish, but stylish; and, the bathroom lighting was superb. You can't beat the view from the 12th floor, and we plan to return for cocktails and excellent guacamole. We have stayed at other hotels in the area and this is our favorite.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2011

The hotel was hip and the service was beyond extraordinary. After check-in, the staff called me by name every time I came into the lobby or needed a cab, making me feel welcome and as if I was a part of a large, extended family. Lots of restaurant, coffee house and bakeries within walking distance, as was the subway. A beautiful hotel, in a great location, with guest services outranking some of the best luxury hotels worldwide? Why stay anywhere else? I won't. To top it off, the beds were incredible, providing a great nights sleep.

Room Tip: All rooms have a great view, either of the city or of the pool area
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Every staff member that served us was delightful, intelligent, respectful and helpful, including front desk, pool staff, bell porters and concierge. Rooms were ultra clean and uber cool, glam 70's. Rooms size was fine for us, there is Not much hanging room if you're bringing lots of clothes. We brought 3 kids and whilst it doesn't seem to be set up for kids, ours loved it, and staff were great with them, especially around use of pool. That said it's a great place if you're having a kid free break. Penthouse bar was closed mostly for private functions. Best to check that out before your stay. We really just hung around Chelsea, so location was great for us. Can't wait to come back without the kids.

Room Tip: South tower rooms have balconies over looking the pool.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Look, I know that it's fashion week. I know it's New York City (I grew up here), but the sheer amount of uncontrolled jerks and phony artsy snobs in ironic hats and Forever 21 tight dresses muscling up to the hotel bar was overwhelming. Here's the bigger problem: The hotel has a club on the roof... THAT ISN'T AFFILIATED WITH THE HOTEL. So, as a sub-contract, they don't have to answer to the hotel, the hotel's staff, or treat the guests with any modicum of respect... even at $500/night. I call B.S. I was invited by the promoter to go up to the "club" and it was... a 2000 square foot bar with soft lighting and bottle service. Got to admit, the DJ was decent, but the scene? Ridiculous. Everyone trying so hard. Next issue? The TINY rooms. Mine had oily hand prints on barely reachable parts of the bathroom. Ugh. Plus the water stains on the "gun metal" sink and toilet. Disgusting. I felt like I walked into a love hotel in Tokyo. Did I mention that it was $500/night?! My company was paying, but it's still insulting. The front desk did leave a Coppola split of Merlot and a note...nice touch. So points for that, but that's the only category they nailed. Finally... the NY Jets Offensive lineman they employ to "clean" the rooms...at 8am. I called the front desk to ask if there were renovations happening. Apparently their housekeeping likes to throw around the Ikea furniture... but refuse to actually clean the rooms. This happened both mornings BTW. So, if you're desperate to fit in with the not so "in" crowd and don't mind sleeping in an overpriced closet and don't care about getting sleep... this is the place for you! Dream? Ha. More like a nightmare.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - don't stay here. Check out the COOPER SQUARE HOTEL. Awesome.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RealityCheck310
dreamdowntown, Managing Director at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear RealityCheck310,

I am terribly sorry that we didn’t live up to your expectations and we appreciate you taking the time to describe some of the ways in which we didn’t. We can and we will do better. With regards to the rooftop lounge, I can assure you that it operates in conjunction with the hotel and has a door policy that is similar to many popular lounges in the area. Marble Lane, Dream Beach and Romera do not have door policy and are always available for hotel guests.

Warm regards,
Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Where do I begin?

After having stayed at possibly one of the worst hotels ever (which shall remain nameless.. for now, since I am still waiting to hear back from management after sending them an email documenting the horrendous stay), I used QuikBook to book the rest of my stay in NY at the Dream Downtown.

Upon arriving at the hotel, my boyfriend and I were kindly greeted by the bellman who took my luggage (the former hotel didn't even attempt to carry any of my luggage). I could already sense that this hotel was exponentially better. Between walking through the entrance to the front desk, EVERY single employee greeted me. Besides the fact that the front desk was insanely gorgeous.. every one of them.. the concierge informed me that I had been upgraded. That was beyond (although probably nothing special.. it was nice, anyway!). Excuse me for my "Rachel-Zoe-Vocabulary", I am a California girl. I digress. Because the other hotel had so many issues with the room keys (like not working at all), I was immediately impressed by the fact that the Dream Downtown's room keys worked effortlessly. Once in the room, I had to take a minute. My boyfriend and I were blown away... it was like a scene from Survivor where one team has just won lobster for their whole tribe after eating rice for the past month. We were astonished by the beautiful, future-esque decor. The bed was incredibly lush, I'd never slept so well. The chain shower curtain was unlike anything I've seen before, such a sexy touch! Love. The food from The Beach and Marble Restaurant were unreal and impeccable. I even called Room Service for something that wasn't on the menu, and they insisted on making it happen for me (UNREAL.) This hotel doesn't know the word "NO". I will without a doubt be staying at this hotel from now on. Do yourself a favor people, BOOK now!

Room Tip: They have engineers on staff 24/7... so if something doesn't work, one will show up at your door...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My boys and i had a beautiful time in New York. We really loved Dream Downtown we had a comfortable stay and the food was delicious. Everyone who worked at the hotel was very nice and knowledgeable. i had a great time in the swimming pool and i really enjoyed the bar. Thank you Dream Downtown for a marvelous time!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business