“So hip it hurts... your wallet”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #127 of 471 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Look, I know that it's fashion week. I know it's New York City (I grew up here), but the sheer amount of uncontrolled jerks and phony artsy snobs in ironic hats and Forever 21 tight dresses muscling up to the hotel bar was overwhelming. Here's the bigger problem: The hotel has a club on the roof... THAT ISN'T AFFILIATED WITH THE HOTEL. So, as a sub-contract, they don't have to answer to the hotel, the hotel's staff, or treat the guests with any modicum of respect... even at $500/night. I call B.S. I was invited by the promoter to go up to the "club" and it was... a 2000 square foot bar with soft lighting and bottle service. Got to admit, the DJ was decent, but the scene? Ridiculous. Everyone trying so hard. Next issue? The TINY rooms. Mine had oily hand prints on barely reachable parts of the bathroom. Ugh. Plus the water stains on the "gun metal" sink and toilet. Disgusting. I felt like I walked into a love hotel in Tokyo. Did I mention that it was $500/night?! My company was paying, but it's still insulting. The front desk did leave a Coppola split of Merlot and a note...nice touch. So points for that, but that's the only category they nailed. Finally... the NY Jets Offensive lineman they employ to "clean" the rooms...at 8am. I called the front desk to ask if there were renovations happening. Apparently their housekeeping likes to throw around the Ikea furniture... but refuse to actually clean the rooms. This happened both mornings BTW. So, if you're desperate to fit in with the not so "in" crowd and don't mind sleeping in an overpriced closet and don't care about getting sleep... this is the place for you! Dream? Ha. More like a nightmare.

Room Tip: Here's a tip - don't stay here. Check out the COOPER SQUARE HOTEL. Awesome.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank RealityCheck310
dreamdowntown, Managing Director at Dream Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2011

Dear RealityCheck310,

I am terribly sorry that we didn’t live up to your expectations and we appreciate you taking the time to describe some of the ways in which we didn’t. We can and we will do better. With regards to the rooftop lounge, I can assure you that it operates in conjunction with the hotel and has a door policy that is similar to many popular lounges in the area. Marble Lane, Dream Beach and Romera do not have door policy and are always available for hotel guests.

Warm regards,
Michael Lindenbaum
Managing Director

Write a ReviewReviews (3,681)

Reviewed September 14, 2011

Where do I begin?

After having stayed at possibly one of the worst hotels ever (which shall remain nameless.. for now, since I am still waiting to hear back from management after sending them an email documenting the horrendous stay), I used QuikBook to book the rest of my stay in NY at the Dream Downtown.

Upon arriving at the hotel, my boyfriend and I were kindly greeted by the bellman who took my luggage (the former hotel didn't even attempt to carry any of my luggage). I could already sense that this hotel was exponentially better. Between walking through the entrance to the front desk, EVERY single employee greeted me. Besides the fact that the front desk was insanely gorgeous.. every one of them.. the concierge informed me that I had been upgraded. That was beyond (although probably nothing special.. it was nice, anyway!). Excuse me for my "Rachel-Zoe-Vocabulary", I am a California girl. I digress. Because the other hotel had so many issues with the room keys (like not working at all), I was immediately impressed by the fact that the Dream Downtown's room keys worked effortlessly. Once in the room, I had to take a minute. My boyfriend and I were blown away... it was like a scene from Survivor where one team has just won lobster for their whole tribe after eating rice for the past month. We were astonished by the beautiful, future-esque decor. The bed was incredibly lush, I'd never slept so well. The chain shower curtain was unlike anything I've seen before, such a sexy touch! Love. The food from The Beach and Marble Restaurant were unreal and impeccable. I even called Room Service for something that wasn't on the menu, and they insisted on making it happen for me (UNREAL.) This hotel doesn't know the word "NO". I will without a doubt be staying at this hotel from now on. Do yourself a favor people, BOOK now!

Room Tip: They have engineers on staff 24/7... so if something doesn't work, one will show up at your door...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 11, 2011

My boys and i had a beautiful time in New York. We really loved Dream Downtown we had a comfortable stay and the food was delicious. Everyone who worked at the hotel was very nice and knowledgeable. i had a great time in the swimming pool and i really enjoyed the bar. Thank you Dream Downtown for a marvelous time!

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed September 9, 2011

I was traveling with my friend so it was a girls trip for fun outings, trendy restaurants, good food, tennis and night life. We found this hotel fit our life style very well. The staff is amazing, very friendly and welcoming. The lobby is inviting, with silver couches, interesting interior design and amazing scent in the air.

The rooms were a bit too small, even for two people. They did not provide an iron or an ironing board, once brought to our room, it seemed to take a huge chunk of our small real estate. The bathroom was "party-like" with silver toilets, faucets, sinks etc. And if you don't cleaning staff to disturb you in the morning, you can just push a button on the control box.

I definitely like the location of the hotel, close to all the entertainment. I liked the customer service and interior design.

I did not like the fact that I forgot to turn the "do not disturb" button off and we never had our room cleaned :(( which was extremely disappointing. Apparently, we were also supposed to have a room orientation, which never happened.

Other than that, 5 stars and will be back!!

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Cute hotel, lovely hotel bar, pool was wonderful, but very noisy room. Doors in the hallway have no springs and literally slammed closed all night long. Changed rooms and the same thing, slamming doors all freaking night long. Five nights of zero sleep. I would never stay here again.

Reviewed September 6, 2011

Just fantastic since we came at the reception!
The hotel is brand new and has a fabulous outdoor pool.
Every employee is carful, helpful and really nice.
All the food is great, cocktails are fantastic.
The interior design is outstanding so it was a really cool place to stay for me as a designer.
The location is the best for you if you are looking for the best restaurants and bars.
Really wish to thank management of this hotel - they made my trip!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed September 6, 2011

This hotel is very hip and modern. We found the staff super friendly and nice. Room service and service was prompt and friendly. Only complaint was the room was a little noisy. Our room was on 11th floor, right under the 12th floor nightclub. We did call desk and they brought us some ear plugs which helped. The next day there was a nice bottle of wine with a hand~written apology for our troubles. A nice touch.
Just a note~ maybe request a lower room if you plan on not partying..