“Fantastic venue - think Jersey Shore crowd”
Review of Dream Downtown

Dream Downtown
Ranked #125 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed August 10, 2011

I really enjoyed my stay in this hotel.

The room was well fitted out - a little tacky in design and I am not sure how well the room will look in a few years time. But for New York - it was a good size, very modern with lots of luxurious amenities.

The hotel is seemingly a major hotspot in New York at the moment so be prepared for lots of bouncers and security guarding the various facilities. I didn't experience any problems though (as posted in previous reviews) and really enjoyed the rooftop bar and the pool. The rooftop is a major plus to stay at this hotel - fantastic!

The lobby floor is black and whilst it looks very cool at nights, it actually always looked very dirty with lots of dusty footprints.

Overall though I was impressed.... and would definitely return. The location is excellent and I found all of the staff to be very friendly and helpful... particularly all the bellboys/doormen... they were the most helpful!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank icyoubaby

Reviewed August 8, 2011

My family and I stayed here for 3 nights and we did not enjoy the hotel at all. When we first arrived, we were like most guests and were in awe of the hotel's modern decor. The room kept up its impressive modern décor as well. But after the shock factor wears down, many inconveniences emerge. The biggest problem was the service. The hotel hosts a large club and after 9:00pm, the hotel’s attention goes towards the club rather than the guest. More importantly, the service is unfriendly and snobbish. As my sister and I approached the hotel, an employee asked us if we stayed at hotel. Not as a security concern since other guests were entering the hotel without being approach but as “I cannot believe you can stay at this hotel.” The overall tone of the hotel is unwelcoming. It feels like a race from the time you enter the room to your hotel room. I paid over $4000 to stay here and with that kind of money I expected better service. The hotel ambiance is defiantly wild and different; hence, why I choose the hotel in the first place. But after the shock of the décor, I lost interest and wished I have left early.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank CAsurfman007
Reviewed August 4, 2011

I am a fashion buyer for a top internet retailer that has employees that travel to NYC A LOT. I was looking forward to spreading the word about this hotel to them since we are always looking for new options with the amount of travel we do. The hotel is nice although my room had a very weird smell. The bar at the restaurant and pool bar were OK. My issue is with the oh so exclusive rooftop bar. I used to live in NYC and thought this pretension phase was over but it is alive and well at the Dream Hotel. Bottom line: if you are a paying guest at the hotel you should be allowed on all grounds. If the rooftop bar is operated separately I'm sure you can work out something to go above and beyond for your guests. Working for a company that prides itself on customer service, I don't see how anything else makes sense. My company carries some of the top brands in the world and comes to NYC to do business. I will definitely let them know not to give this hotel a try. As a paying customer to a hotel, I should never feel less than VIP. It just makes common business sense. i will not be recommending this hotel to any of my co-workers or associates of any kind. In 6 months, the rooftop bar will be a thing of the past and then what? Never again will I stay here or recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
9  Thank lsoto
Reviewed August 3, 2011

We spent a long weekend in July 2011 at the Dream Downtown hotel in NYC. Chelsea market is adjacent offering coffee bars, bakeries and other shopping. There is a convenient subway entrance at the end of the block. The hotel is newly opened and strives for a very modern look and feel.
Stepping into the hotel lobby, it is hard to tell whether the Dream is a hotel or a night club. The lobby is dark and music is playing 24/7, the volume increasing as the evening progresses. The hotel has become a “hip” place for cocktails and parties for 20/30 year-olds with queues outside to gain admittance on weekends. Security is tight, which is good in that non-residents are supervised, bad in that guests are constantly challenged which makes the atmosphere less than welcoming.
Because of its status as an “in place” the hotel accepts a lot of private party bookings, several during the four nights of our stay. This means blocking off areas of the lobby or closing the pool area (as mentioned in the website) leading to further security or hostess challenges and the sense than guests are (a) not the hotel’s primary focus and (b) getting less than they paid for in terms of available amenities.
A good, complimentary continental breakfast buffet is available in the lobby area with full a-la-carte on demand. Other than continental breakfast, we did not use the restaurant facilities. The hotel’s pool is accessed from the lobby or second floor. It is long and narrow, more for a cooling dip than a swim and can become quite crowded.
The rooms are quite small but very clean and modern, decorated in a white and silver theme. The bathroom is built of frosted glass, our only complaint being that it does not offer much sound insulation! Bathrobes, soaps, shampoos etc. are provided but not regularly replenished. Hooks to hang the bathrobes, towels etc. need to be provided. The free-standing wooden towel rail is a space-hogging nuisance. The telephone touch screen can be used to control lights, aircon and other functions though we could not find a way to shut down all lights except for bedside lamps (possibly wrongly wired)? There is no USB port or iPod docking station though there is a panel with various other connections for electronic equipment. There is free wifi in the hotel lobby.
The hotel’s uniformed staff we unfailingly welcoming, helpful and courteous and the innumerable security “heavies” polite but oppressive. We were allowed to use a room in the fitness centre to change clothes before taking our redeye flight. In summary I would describe the Dream as suitable for a younger clientele and definitely not the place for a more traditional, quiet weekend away.

1  Thank LONTJC
Reviewed August 1, 2011

I think this is a very cool and trendy hotel. I choosed this hotel beacause the pool and the rooptoopbar. I liked our rom is was nice and a nice bed. Its was quiet at nights.

Our first day the pool was closed beacause they had been a party the day before and the pool was still dirty.

But i think that your staff have to work on your communications. I really wanted to go too se the rooftoop bar. Wee stayed here for tree nightds and every night it was closed early in the evning for private parties. Its was no letter in our rooms that told us u couldnt go there i hade really looking forward for it. Later after around 22 it opens again but then u had to be on the list beacause we are tourist we arent. I asked the front desk two times for help to go there but they sad the have outsourced it and couldnt help us. We got no information that u can go to marquee from the front desk. One night when I tried to go too the rooptop bar one of the guard sad the it was a private party but in a couple of minutes we could go up. We wanted for 40 minutes and then we were tolf no you cant u most be on the list.. I think its rude too waste our time like that i talked to the front desk and they just sad that they are sorry. I have lived on a lots of lyxiors hotel and it have never been a problem to go too their bar o club in other cities. If u go here don´t except too se the rooptopbar.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Apollo
1  Thank studsboll08
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My son and his girlfriend stayed July 18 for one night. Very pleased with check-in and loved the location. Staff was very courteous. Did not try any restaurants or nightclubs at the hotel. Room was lovely but still had a few maintenance things that needed to be worked on, but nothing that really had a major impact on the stay. Would try it again for sure

Reviewed July 28, 2011

Dream Downtown is located at 355 West 16th Street, Chelsea in the Meatpacking District of New York City. It has been recently refurbished and is a fabulously modern, chic, edgy hotel.

The staff were all very helpful and charming, there is a Club upstairs and on the second floor is a swimming pool with a "beach area". In the evenings, the bar on level two is open for drinks and a dip in the pool.

The rooms are a good size for New York, large bathroom and enormous king bed which was the best bed I have ever slept in. Soft feather pillows and great pillowtop mattress.
Bliss.