“The Tastiest Baked Pork Buns in New York”
Review of Mei Li Wah Bakery

Mei Li Wah Bakery
Ranked #125 of 397 Bakeries in New York City
Cuisines: Chinese
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Reviewed June 23, 2016

For many Asian people baked pork buns are considered comfort food. A baked pork bun is a golden dome brushed with honey and filled with sweetened pork. Delicious hot and straight from the oven, you can enjoy baked pork buns with your favorite beverage. They go really well with coffee, actually.

Mei Li Wah Bakery is extremely popular. It's not unusual to find people in a que waiting to buy boxes of baked pork buns. In addition to baked, they have steamed pork buns and steamed chicken buns. The steamed chicken buns are particularly wonderful in the winter with a bowl of soup or broth or hot tea.

Reviewed June 17, 2016

Although not as good as Simply Bakery, this is a pretty good bakery as well. They are popular for their steamed and baked pork buns. And the bun are very tasty. The ordering process is a bit chaotic, but part of the fun.

Reviewed June 17, 2016 via mobile

I've read many reviews about delicious spots to check out in Chinatown. That's why when I found this place online I was so excited! I heard about these $1 pork and chickens buns. And I was like what? No way! So I had to go a check it out. That. Was. A. Mistake. The staff wasn't that friendly & didn't hold back. From the second we walked in the lady said "What do you want?" In a very unhappy tone. We then order the buns. And proceed to sit. As soon as we sat she yelled "Seats are for costumer only!". Well excuse me, did I not just buy $5 worth of buns and drinks? She said "if you want to sit there, then you have to tip us". Keep in mind this establishment was EMPTY! We were in shock it's not like there was a line or anything. So we just grabbed the food an left. Not to anyone's surprise the bun was nasty. It was soggy and cold. We then threw it away and accepted are losses.

Reviewed May 25, 2016

This coffee shop and dim sum place has been a Chinatown institution for more than 50 years. The menu is two pages, in both English and Chinese. They are known for roast pork buns, which simply are the best in Chinatown ($1). Other dishes to try are rice noodles with a variety of fillings (shrimp, beef, vegetarian) and pan fried sticky rice with chicken., The place was recently renovated so its pretty clean. Wait staff speak minimal English but you can simply point to the pictures on the wall or on the menu. Great place for a snack when visiting Chinatown.

Reviewed May 25, 2016

I went there per my friends request for their pork buns. The bakery/restaurant is small and the decor is old. I ordered one freshly baked pork bun. The bun is filled with pork in barbecue sauce. I didn't experience the wow factor but the bun was tasty. The bakery also offers a variety of buns. The restaurant menu is primarily dim sum and the prices are quite reasonable.