“Spy Exhibit was Excellent”

Discovery Times Square
Ranked #259 of 1,149 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Discovery Times Square (Discovery TS) where extraordinary exhibits and unforgettable experiences come to life in our exciting, vibrant space for entertainment, learning and adventure.New York has always been something of a stage - a showcase for debuts and second acts. And so it is fitting that in the vast space that once housed The New York Times printing presses, Discovery Times Square now offers headlines of a different, but equally compelling sort.From the icy waters of the Titanic's final resting place to genius mind of Da Vinci and the riches of King Tut, Discovery is proud to celebrate the world with the world class exhibits of the new Discovery Times Square.Discovery TS also features two exclusive retail experiences — The Discovery Store featuring the latest in games, dvds and other products from the #1 nonfiction company in the world, Discovery Channel, and The New York Times Store with a wide range of exclusive items perfect for the newspaper enthusiast or history buff.
Reviewed February 19, 2013

There are generally 2 exhibits on display at a time, each with their own admission fee. We saw the Spy exhibit (not Harry Potter, which was also showing). It was very well-done. It was informative and contained great artifacts. I went with another adult, but there were plenty of interactive stations for children if you are thinking of bringing your kids along. It is a little expensive, but what isn't in New York? Worth an hour or two of your time, especially if the weather isn't behaving (it's indoors).

All reviews
in 33 reviews
in 63 reviews
in 10 reviews

Reviewed February 18, 2013

I was very disappointed with the tour. I paid $100 for 3 adults and 1 child and all we saw were clothes. I really dont care to see the clothes that harry potter wore in the movie. I just felt like they are trying to make money without providing anything interactive or interesting. A true waste of time.

1  Thank stentdoc
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Spy/Espionage Exhibit at Discovery Times Square was really interesting. I was amazed at the sophistication from the 1960's and 1970's, it's scary to think of what technology is out there today! (I'm sure we are all constantly under surveillance after seeing this!) I learned a lot about the history of the CIA/FBI & Russian KGB and I was surprised to see how many spies have been caught in and out of the U.S. Not a James Bond type exhibit. Most information would not be understood by children, although they do have some children-specific interactive stations.

Reviewed February 12, 2013

I' m huge fan of Harry Potter. I came from London for short holiday to NYC n I wanted to see Harry Potter exhibition. After my experience in London tour i expected more from this exhibition!!! it takes just like ten minutes to see everything. plus no photos.... its ridiculous!!! they offering u to try to play quidditch and sit in Hagrid's armchair but u can't even take pics so why is that????? after ten minutes exhibition I thought there will b possibility to have some butter beer a buy some gifts. but there is no butter beer n gift shop was soo expensive! for horrible picture made by guide in entrance they wanted 20$ ??????

1  Thank TakeMyAdvice12
DTS44, Manager at Discovery Times Square, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2013

Hello Nicole,

We're sorry to hear about your unpleasant visit to Harry Potter: The Exhibition. Unfortunately, due to copyright laws, we are not able to allow our guests to take photos of the props and costumes inside the exhibition. It's very important to us that our guests have a positive experience, and would like to offer you an opportunity to come back and visit us again in the future during your next visit to NYC. Please email marketing@tsxnyc.com to discuss further. We hope to hear from you soon!

Discovery Times Square

See more reviews
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I got my ticket off of Groupon and decided to go by myself, as a little treat for my 25th birthday. My birthday fell on a Thursday, so that was perfect for me, there was hardly anyone there when I got there [around 3:00pm] and I couldn't haven been happier. When you enter first, they offer you the audio tour, which is $7, it's really no biggie, some of it is interesting, everything else can be found online or if you have the movies on discs, they'll have the commentary. Then they take your picture in front of a green screen, one of you in a house scarf of your choice and the other of you holding a wand of your choice. At the end of the tour, they'll ask you if you want them, each picture you take is placed against 6 different back grounds each, so that's a choice of 12 in total, each costs $20, if you buy 6 [$60], they give you digital copies as well.
There's really not much to interact with, you get to pull up Mandrakes from pots, sit in Hagrid's chair and throw Quaffles through hoops. I'm a very avid Harry Potter fan, so I loved everything really. The gift shop had soo many cool things to purchase but they were very expensive! I bought a copy of the Exhibition Guide, which was pretty cool, it's about 60 pages and contained pictures of everything in the Exhibtion, so that soothed the burn of not being able to take my own pictures, just a bit. I got one of the commemorative Wands that was made especially for the Exhibition, some Bertie Botts Every-Flavor bean and a Chocolate Frog. I think their assortment of food items could have been a bit bigger, maybe to include things like Butterbeer and some of the other sweets. Basically, I got things I didn't think I could purchase online or find cheaper in some cases. If you're a true Harry Potter Fan, you'll really enjoy this, whether you love the books or movies or both, it's definitely worth the trip. So overall:

Amazing props
Props sorted according to books
Brings books to "life"
Some interaction

Tickets are expensive
Gift shop items are expensive
Long list of prohibited things [check website]

1  Thank veelagirl