“SPY Exhibit...we are all under surveillance!”

Discovery Times Square
Book In Advance
More Info
$84.00*
and up
New York City Explorer Pass
Ranked #160 of 1,103 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Discovery Times Square (Discovery TS) where extraordinary exhibits and unforgettable experiences come to life in our exciting, vibrant space for entertainment, learning and adventure.New York has always been something of a stage - a showcase for debuts and second acts. And so it is fitting that in the vast space that once housed The New York Times printing presses, Discovery Times Square now offers headlines of a different, but equally compelling sort.From the icy waters of the Titanic's final resting place to genius mind of Da Vinci and the riches of King Tut, Discovery is proud to celebrate the world with the world class exhibits of the new Discovery Times Square.Discovery TS also features two exclusive retail experiences — The Discovery Store featuring the latest in games, dvds and other products from the #1 nonfiction company in the world, Discovery Channel, and The New York Times Store with a wide range of exclusive items perfect for the newspaper enthusiast or history buff.
Colchester, Connecticut
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“SPY Exhibit...we are all under surveillance!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

The Spy/Espionage Exhibit at Discovery Times Square was really interesting. I was amazed at the sophistication from the 1960's and 1970's, it's scary to think of what technology is out there today! (I'm sure we are all constantly under surveillance after seeing this!) I learned a lot about the history of the CIA/FBI & Russian KGB and I was surprised to see how many spies have been caught in and out of the U.S. Not a James Bond type exhibit. Most information would not be understood by children, although they do have some children-specific interactive stations.

Visited February 2013

• Indonesian first
  • Korean first
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“terrible experience”
Reviewed February 12, 2013 via mobile

I' m huge fan of Harry Potter. I came from London for short holiday to NYC n I wanted to see Harry Potter exhibition. After my experience in London tour i expected more from this exhibition!!! it takes just like ten minutes to see everything. plus no photos.... its ridiculous!!! they offering u to try to play quidditch and sit in Hagrid's armchair but u can't even take pics so why is that????? after ten minutes exhibition I thought there will b possibility to have some butter beer a buy some gifts. but there is no butter beer n gift shop was soo expensive! for horrible picture made by guide in entrance they wanted 20$ ??????

1 Thank TakeMyAdvice12
DTS44, Manager at Discovery Times Square, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Hello Nicole,

We're sorry to hear about your unpleasant visit to Harry Potter: The Exhibition. Unfortunately, due to copyright laws, we are not able to allow our guests to take photos of the props and costumes inside the exhibition. It's very important to us that our guests have a positive experience, and would like to offer you an opportunity to come back and visit us again in the future during your next visit to NYC. Please email marketing@tsxnyc.com to discuss further. We hope to hear from you soon!

Discovery Times Square
Queens, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Harry Potter: The Exhibit”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

I got my ticket off of Groupon and decided to go by myself, as a little treat for my 25th birthday. My birthday fell on a Thursday, so that was perfect for me, there was hardly anyone there when I got there [around 3:00pm] and I couldn't haven been happier. When you enter first, they offer you the audio tour, which is $7, it's really no biggie, some of it is interesting, everything else can be found online or if you have the movies on discs, they'll have the commentary. Then they take your picture in front of a green screen, one of you in a house scarf of your choice and the other of you holding a wand of your choice. At the end of the tour, they'll ask you if you want them, each picture you take is placed against 6 different back grounds each, so that's a choice of 12 in total, each costs $20, if you buy 6 [$60], they give you digital copies as well.
There's really not much to interact with, you get to pull up Mandrakes from pots, sit in Hagrid's chair and throw Quaffles through hoops. I'm a very avid Harry Potter fan, so I loved everything really. The gift shop had soo many cool things to purchase but they were very expensive! I bought a copy of the Exhibition Guide, which was pretty cool, it's about 60 pages and contained pictures of everything in the Exhibtion, so that soothed the burn of not being able to take my own pictures, just a bit. I got one of the commemorative Wands that was made especially for the Exhibition, some Bertie Botts Every-Flavor bean and a Chocolate Frog. I think their assortment of food items could have been a bit bigger, maybe to include things like Butterbeer and some of the other sweets. Basically, I got things I didn't think I could purchase online or find cheaper in some cases. If you're a true Harry Potter Fan, you'll really enjoy this, whether you love the books or movies or both, it's definitely worth the trip. So overall:

Pros:
Amazing props
Props sorted according to books
Brings books to "life"
Some interaction

Cons:
NO PHOTOGRAPHY! :(
Tickets are expensive
Gift shop items are expensive
Long list of prohibited things [check website]

Visited February 2013
1 Thank veelagirl
Vancouver, Canada
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Harry Potter Exhibit”
Reviewed February 7, 2013

My 8 year old son is a huge fan of Harry Potter and he was very impressed. There was a wide variety of props, clothes, various items from the movie, even furniture. He would have loved to take pictures to show to friends, but it was not allowed. I thought the entrance fee was a bit much, and the hype was much larger than the display. I imagine there were multiple sets made of the same outfit, so I didn't believe for a second that what I was looking at was necessarily the item worn by the actors. Also, could Daniel Radcliffe have gone through 10 years of using the same wand? or perhaps were there a whole string of wands that he lost? That question was soon answered when we came, inevitably, to the store section of the display, wands stacked high, priced even higher. Do you want to take a picture with a Griffindore scarf? only $26 each. Five jellybeans called magic something or other? only $14.95. Brooms, weird candy, scarves, movie posters and other useless stuff for sale. On the bright side, there were no crowds.

Visited January 2013
Bronx, New York
“DTS Is Awesome!”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I went to see the Harry Potter and Spy Exhibit at Discovery Time Square and I really enjoyed it. The employees and staff were super helpful and kind but the exhibits were awesome. They are both very well put together and very interesting. I LOVE HARRY POTTER AND IT WAS EVEN BETTER THAN WHAT I EXPECTED!!! Spy was interesting and interactive fun! Everyone should go! They also have Georgetown Cupcakes!!

Visited January 2013