“Theatre district eats”

Neighborhood: Midtown
Mount Vernon Ny
“Theatre district eats”
Reviewed February 25, 2013

This has been my all time favorite restaurant in the theatre district for more than 20 years. Great Italian food, nice ambiance and Friday and Saturday night they trio playing nice dinner music. Nice bar area.

• Visited February 2013

Boise, Idaho
“Really disappointing”
Reviewed January 16, 2013

For my first meal in NYC this was a very disappointing start. The host was a bit grumpy...seemed like we were bothering him to seat us. The waiter brought us water but never asked about anything else. I asked for a wine by the glass list and he asked what type of wine I was looking for, and given that it's an Italian restaurant, I said Chianti or something Sangiovese based. I wasn't given any choices and the wine he brought was really pretty awful. My client has a gimlet which suspiciously had a lemon in it.

The salad showed up while the appetizers were still on the table and then our main courses showed up right after that so we had all the plates on the table at once. I had a shrimp penne special with artichokes and spinach and it was almost flavorless. Seemed to lack any seasoning (I used the salt and pepper shakers at the table to try to breathe some life into it), there was no sauce on it all and some of the shrimp were undercooked. I would have sent it back if this wouldn't have been a business dinner.

The decor is very dated and they were playing an easy listening pop station until the band started. I have to say the band was hands down the best part of the experience.

The topper to the evening is when a mouse ran across the floor and my client saw the hostess kick at it.

Hoping this has left me no where to go but up in my NYC dining experience.

• Visited January 2013
Toledo, Ohio
“Very pretty, convienent to Hotel Edison Guests”
Reviewed December 27, 2012

Pretty decor. Make a reservation. Quite noisy. Lots of menu selections. Food was good, serivce was a little off - slower to attend, but servers and bussers running around between tables, up and down the stairs which detracts from the luxury of eating fine food. Price was moderate, probably on the low end for many NYC restaurants. 4 of us ate, each having different entrees, and nothing was bad, nothing was outstanding. So - no complaints, but would love to go again and see if we could be seated in the "non-running" zone and see if it has an impact on our assessment of the food quality.

Visited December 2012
Egg Harbor Township, New Jersey
“Lovely piano bar”
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I was a guest at the Hotel Edison, and this lovely restaurant/bar is in that building. I stopped by late one night looking for Irish coffee and got one here at the bar, while a delightful piano player kept up the intimate vibe. Some stimulating conversation with bar-mates, and an overall good experience. I did not eat so I cannot comment on the dining.

Visited December 2012
Cornwall, Canada
“Nice Dinner”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We had great service and food at Sophia's on our trip.The atmosphere was excellent. I know I will return the next time I am In the city. VERY GOOD PASTA!!!

Visited October 2012