“Fun trendy hotel, tiny rooms”
Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
New York City, New York
“Fun trendy hotel, tiny rooms”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Hotel Americano is near the High Line in Chelsea. If you are a tourist and don't mind tiny rooms this is the place for you. The hotel was new, clean and edgy. The room was tiny, only a bean bag chair and a stool. The bed was on the floor, a platform, and the bathroom was quite nice but also very small. The two drawbacks for me was the distance to the nearest subway and the lack of space in the room. We didn't go to the restaurants or bar which I imagine are very nice.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, June 14, 2013
Hi Nate,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Americano. We are sad to hear you thought your room was too small, we do have Studio Suites available if space was what you were looking for. Our rooms are minimalist with a ryokan design, which is why our beds are on a wooden platform, but our mattresses are extremely comfortable.

As far as location, we are two street blocks and two avenues away from the nearest train, but we do offer bicycles for rent to get around for convenience.

Thank you once again for your review, and we do hope you join us for dinner sometimes, since you didn't get a chance to try either restaurants.

Hôtel Americano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Ciudad de México, México
Reviewed May 31, 2013

The hotel is nice, hip and almost always with the "right" crowd.
I was in the hotel a year ago for dinner and drinks and liked the place & design so we decided to stay there this time we had to be in NYC for a week for Design Week (bonus was it is half a block away from the fair we attended). We got exactly what we expected: great service, design, ambiance, towels, sheets, music in the room's iPad and wonderful Aēsop toiletries.
Only we found the room uncomfortable to it's "modern" design: a tiny room with the bed on a platform on the floor with no night tables, a small and cluttered desk with no chair but a stool and the sink with no countertop and only a long, very thin shelf in the bathroom for your stuff, makes this a nice looking room on the uncomfortable side.
If you are looking for a nice designer place with good service this is it, just be ready to cope with a few inconveniences... and you´ll be all set!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, June 3, 2013
Hi Churlie,

Thank you taking the time to review Hôtel Americano, we do appreciate the feedback. We are happy to hear that you decided to return for a stay, after your dining experience with us. However we are sorry to hear that you did not find the room to be as to your linking as the dinner. Our rooms are designed with the feel of an urban ryokan. Although the mattress is on a wooden platform, it is extremely comfortable. Like the common spaces, our rooms are minimalist, but not lacking in necessities. We do offer larger rooms, with more sitting, and shelf space.

Thank you once again for your review.

Best,
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed May 14, 2013 via mobile

I loved everything about this hotel except the room. The staff is professional and friendly; the restaurant is tasty and fun; love the neighborhood; but the room, not ideal for me. I found the tiny sink with large faucet unusable, the furniture chic but neither functional nor comfortable and the room claustrophobic (and I had the largest room type). On the other hand, once I was able to crawl onto the bed, it was nice and firm. In spite of the room quirks I just might go back. Why? Not sure. I just kind of like the place.

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Howard L
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, May 17, 2013
Hi,

Thank you for reviewing Hotel Americano. We greatly appreciate the feedback, although you were not fully satisfied we are happy to hear that you did enjoy our service and amenities. As far as the size of the rooms, Hotel Americano is a New York City downtown hotel and our rooms are about the standard size. We would love to have you stay with us again. Please do contact me directly and I would love to take care of your next reservation personally. MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Very best,
Calgary
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Americano. Our room was nice and quiet and our bed was great. We did find upon check-in that the front desk staff was a bit distracted and not altogether welcoming, however our bellhop later in the day was lovely. Also, there was no coffee offered in the room so it was necessary to go down to the bar in the morning to get coffee or tea, and there was a charge for this, which I think is ridiculous. The room was very clean and the shower was awesome. I just didn't understand the non-functional patent-plastic chair in the room that seemed very grubby and sticky. We had no complaints about noise or anything else. Just a few small things on the service side would have made this a really great place to stay!

Room Tip: Get one on a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Karen,

Thank you for your feedback, it is a vital source to help us contently grow and improve. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your overall stay with us and I am sorry to hear you did not find our service to be to your liking. This has been noted, and it will be reinforced. I do want to let you know that we offer breakfast room-service, where you can comfortably have your coffee sent up to the room. Also, we do offer packages with breakfast included upon reserving your room.

We do hope you will return on your next trip to New York.

London
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We LOVED Hotel Americano- a chilled, chic hotel in the heart Chelsea.

We stayed one evening during our NYC trip to celebrate our friend's 50th and thought the hotel was perfect. The rooms are very chic, with an iPad packed with great playlists. We loved the raised wooden platform for the bed, as well as the concrete effect. The bed was super comfy.

The bathroom was stocked with lovely Aesop products and cute little stripey handtowels. The shower was fabulous! Great water pressure.

Our room had a fab view of the Highline which is just beside the hotel. There are also cool little galleries in the area to explore.

I had breakfast in the hotel- in the contemporary dining room. Great coffee and mexican inspired eggs.

We also ate in the rooftop restuarant which was a great experience. The only flaw was the lack of vegetarian options but the staff at the hotel did their best to suggest other options.

I wouldn't hestiate to book this hotel again- the rooftop bar is very NYC, and the cocktails were the best I had in the US.

One of teh otrehr great things about Hotel Americano is that the lobby area which is a great design matches the great design in the rooms. Both are equally fantastic.

Book this hotel if you are thinking of it- you won't be disappointed.

Hi Raelina,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. It was truly our pleasure to have you. We do hope you will return to New York soon, and make Americano your home-away-from-home. If you do have plans on returning, please feel free to contact me and I would love to personally take care of your reservation. MDoci@hotel-americano.com

All the best!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel Americano is definitely not for everyone, but it's definitely for me, an admitted "hotel diva." I had been intrigued by all I had read about it, but when in New York, I need to stay in Midtown when I am on business and I usually stay in the Gramercy to East Village corridor when there for pleasure. Fortunately, a recent excursion had me in Chelsea, so I had a perfect excuse to try the Americano.

I had some concerns, given the handful of negative (and some downright nasty) comments by Tripadvisor reviewers. But in my experience, the hotel lived up to what appears to be the majority view that this is a great property.

All of the glowing reviews are accurate. Each staff member I encountered was relaxed, friendly, and helpful. We stayed in a superior downtown king room on the 9th floor, and it was plenty big. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable. The rain forest shower was the first one that I've ever encountered that actually had decent water pressure. The one-way glass in the shower is great because it lets in lots of natural light from the room; without it, the bathroom would be dark. The room was spotlessly clean. And the design was both stunning and ingenious.

As to the negative reviews, I can only guess that the travelers didn't do their homework. There's plenty of information out there, so there's no excuse for a guest being "surprised" by the highly polished concrete floors, the platform beds, the quirky lights, and the bean bag chair. Those are design features and they work. In fact, my biggest concern had been that the design would appear too contrived, but not so.

We ate breakfast both mornings in the restaurant--healthy granola and fruit the first day and Mexican inspired entrees the second day. The food was excellent and the service was relaxed and comfortable. When I was alone the first morning, the waiter brought a New York Times to my table. We had drinks by the rooftop pool late one afternoon before going out for dinner--it's beautiful space and would be a great place to watch the sunset.

So if you want a fun, friendly, and chic property in the Chelsea/Meatpacking area, the Americano is the obvious choice.

As for some of the criticisms expressed by prior reviewers, yes, the only real seating in the room (besides the bed) is a beanbag chair so perhaps look elsewhere if you plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room. And if you're there on a Friday or Saturday night (and want to go to bed before 2:00), you may want to get a room on the 8th floor or below so the music from the rooftop club scene club doesn't bother you.

My only wish is that the Americano had rooms with two beds, but that's a common complaint of mine with respect to boutique hotels. It certainly won't stop me from staying there again, but it does influence with whom I'll be traveling.

In sum, The Americano pulls off perfectly exactly the look and feel and vibe for which it is striving.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard side are quieter and get great afternoon light. If you don't want to hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi James,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear you truly enjoyed your time with us. Since Hotel Americano is definitely for you....I would love to book your next stay to NYC personally. Please feel free to contact me at MDoci@hotel-americano.com for any reservation needs.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The first time I heard of Hôtel Americano was when I received an email from tablethotels.com several months ago in 2012. They were featured in a French-themed issue. I always pay attention to what TabletsHotels says, although I can't stay with every hotel they recommends, I try to go as many as I can. In a recent trip to the Big Apple, I made a last-minute change to the original plan and decided to stay two more days. I knew HotelTonight would come handy. When I opened the app and saw Hôtel Americano was available for booking, I made a reservation and decided to go with them.

When we arrived at the hotel around 10pm, there was only one lady at the front desk. Later I found out they probably never needed more since only limited number of rooms are available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Cheng,

Thank you for reviewing Hôtel Americano. We take feedback very seriously, and always try to better ourselves. Although, I am not sure what was exactly wrong with your stay. We always have one front desk person and one bellman at night. It is a boutique hotel, with only 56 rooms and our staff is more then prepared to handle it.

Thank you for your review and we do hope you come and stay with us again in the future.

Best,