“Comfortable but a little short on service for the price”
Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #384 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Calgary
“Comfortable but a little short on service for the price”
Reviewed May 8, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at Hotel Americano. Our room was nice and quiet and our bed was great. We did find upon check-in that the front desk staff was a bit distracted and not altogether welcoming, however our bellhop later in the day was lovely. Also, there was no coffee offered in the room so it was necessary to go down to the bar in the morning to get coffee or tea, and there was a charge for this, which I think is ridiculous. The room was very clean and the shower was awesome. I just didn't understand the non-functional patent-plastic chair in the room that seemed very grubby and sticky. We had no complaints about noise or anything else. Just a few small things on the service side would have made this a really great place to stay!

Room Tip: Get one on a higher floor
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Hi Karen,

Thank you for your feedback, it is a vital source to help us contently grow and improve. I am happy to hear that you did enjoy your overall stay with us and I am sorry to hear you did not find our service to be to your liking. This has been noted, and it will be reinforced. I do want to let you know that we offer breakfast room-service, where you can comfortably have your coffee sent up to the room. Also, we do offer packages with breakfast included upon reserving your room.

We do hope you will return on your next trip to New York.

Hôtel Americano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
London
Reviewed May 8, 2013

We LOVED Hotel Americano- a chilled, chic hotel in the heart Chelsea.

We stayed one evening during our NYC trip to celebrate our friend's 50th and thought the hotel was perfect. The rooms are very chic, with an iPad packed with great playlists. We loved the raised wooden platform for the bed, as well as the concrete effect. The bed was super comfy.

The bathroom was stocked with lovely Aesop products and cute little stripey handtowels. The shower was fabulous! Great water pressure.

Our room had a fab view of the Highline which is just beside the hotel. There are also cool little galleries in the area to explore.

I had breakfast in the hotel- in the contemporary dining room. Great coffee and mexican inspired eggs.

We also ate in the rooftop restuarant which was a great experience. The only flaw was the lack of vegetarian options but the staff at the hotel did their best to suggest other options.

I wouldn't hestiate to book this hotel again- the rooftop bar is very NYC, and the cocktails were the best I had in the US.

One of teh otrehr great things about Hotel Americano is that the lobby area which is a great design matches the great design in the rooms. Both are equally fantastic.

Book this hotel if you are thinking of it- you won't be disappointed.

Hi Raelina,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We are truly delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay as much as you did. It was truly our pleasure to have you. We do hope you will return to New York soon, and make Americano your home-away-from-home. If you do have plans on returning, please feel free to contact me and I would love to personally take care of your reservation. MDoci@hotel-americano.com

All the best!
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed May 1, 2013

Hotel Americano is definitely not for everyone, but it's definitely for me, an admitted "hotel diva." I had been intrigued by all I had read about it, but when in New York, I need to stay in Midtown when I am on business and I usually stay in the Gramercy to East Village corridor when there for pleasure. Fortunately, a recent excursion had me in Chelsea, so I had a perfect excuse to try the Americano.

I had some concerns, given the handful of negative (and some downright nasty) comments by Tripadvisor reviewers. But in my experience, the hotel lived up to what appears to be the majority view that this is a great property.

All of the glowing reviews are accurate. Each staff member I encountered was relaxed, friendly, and helpful. We stayed in a superior downtown king room on the 9th floor, and it was plenty big. The bed was extraordinarily comfortable. The rain forest shower was the first one that I've ever encountered that actually had decent water pressure. The one-way glass in the shower is great because it lets in lots of natural light from the room; without it, the bathroom would be dark. The room was spotlessly clean. And the design was both stunning and ingenious.

As to the negative reviews, I can only guess that the travelers didn't do their homework. There's plenty of information out there, so there's no excuse for a guest being "surprised" by the highly polished concrete floors, the platform beds, the quirky lights, and the bean bag chair. Those are design features and they work. In fact, my biggest concern had been that the design would appear too contrived, but not so.

We ate breakfast both mornings in the restaurant--healthy granola and fruit the first day and Mexican inspired entrees the second day. The food was excellent and the service was relaxed and comfortable. When I was alone the first morning, the waiter brought a New York Times to my table. We had drinks by the rooftop pool late one afternoon before going out for dinner--it's beautiful space and would be a great place to watch the sunset.

So if you want a fun, friendly, and chic property in the Chelsea/Meatpacking area, the Americano is the obvious choice.

As for some of the criticisms expressed by prior reviewers, yes, the only real seating in the room (besides the bed) is a beanbag chair so perhaps look elsewhere if you plan to spend a lot of time in your hotel room. And if you're there on a Friday or Saturday night (and want to go to bed before 2:00), you may want to get a room on the 8th floor or below so the music from the rooftop club scene club doesn't bother you.

My only wish is that the Americano had rooms with two beds, but that's a common complaint of mine with respect to boutique hotels. It certainly won't stop me from staying there again, but it does influence with whom I'll be traveling.

In sum, The Americano pulls off perfectly exactly the look and feel and vibe for which it is striving.

Room Tip: Rooms on the courtyard side are quieter and get great afternoon light. If you don't want to hea...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, May 6, 2013
Hi James,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review. We are delighted to hear you truly enjoyed your time with us. Since Hotel Americano is definitely for you....I would love to book your next stay to NYC personally. Please feel free to contact me at MDoci@hotel-americano.com for any reservation needs.

Thank you once again for taking the time to review us!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The first time I heard of Hôtel Americano was when I received an email from tablethotels.com several months ago in 2012. They were featured in a French-themed issue. I always pay attention to what TabletsHotels says, although I can't stay with every hotel they recommends, I try to go as many as I can. In a recent trip to the Big Apple, I made a last-minute change to the original plan and decided to stay two more days. I knew HotelTonight would come handy. When I opened the app and saw Hôtel Americano was available for booking, I made a reservation and decided to go with them.

When we arrived at the hotel around 10pm, there was only one lady at the front desk. Later I found out they probably never needed more since only limited number of rooms are available.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Hi Cheng,

Thank you for reviewing Hôtel Americano. We take feedback very seriously, and always try to better ourselves. Although, I am not sure what was exactly wrong with your stay. We always have one front desk person and one bellman at night. It is a boutique hotel, with only 56 rooms and our staff is more then prepared to handle it.

Thank you for your review and we do hope you come and stay with us again in the future.

Best,
Reviewed April 21, 2013

Just spent 10 nights at this hotel for my honeymoon, I was a abit scepticle about staying in Chelsea as I was traveling from Australia and had not travelled to New York before, I wasn't sure if it was to far away from it all. When we arrived this wasn't the case we received excellent service from the Swiss guy in reception and he showed us how to get around New York and where all the good things in the neighbourhood were, and then we realized that Chelsea is probably one the best neighborhoods in New York and would not have wanted to stay anywhere else.

Our room was awsome very urban and modern, because we were in New York for 10 days it felt like our own little studio apartment with an awsome view of city skyline and the highline. The price was very good and I read on some others reviews that the rooms were small and had no space, I didn't think so and they do have a wardrobe, coat hangers and draws to store your clothes. Also Aesop products and an iPad with free wifi can't beat that. Overall room was very cool in design. Love the electric blinds

Food in the hotel was so nice, the breakfast downstairs was the best and we ate their every day, both the restraunts were very nice and one of our most memorable moments of new York was having dinner on the rooftop at the hotel we had a candlelit dinner with a big city view of the empire state building.

Overall this hotel was right up our alley. Definetely recommend staying here.

Regards Peter

• Stayed April 2013
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Hi Peter,

Thank you for your lovely review. We are so happy that you chose us for your first stay in New York, and delighted to hear you truly enjoyed your stay and trip. We would love to have you stay with us again, if you do make it out to New York soon. Please email me directly and I would love to set up your reservation personally. MDoci@hotel-americano.com

Thank you once again for your review!

London
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The staff are wonderful and the hotel is beautiful but the double room we booked whilst lovely to look at was very cramped for two people trying to get ready. Not great trying to clamber out of bed either.

It was still worth the visit and they definitely have the best toiletries!! The bar snacks are great too!

Had a wonderful time.

Room Tip: Try for a larger room than a double as it's a bit cramped.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Hi,

First we'd like to say Happy belated Birthday! We are happy you chose us for your birthday trip, and happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. If you plan on coming to New York again in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me directly. I would love to set up your reservation, mdoci@hotel-americano.com

Thank you once again for you review.

Rhode Island
Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is a very cool and hip hotel, but despite the visual appeal the comfort level is low. Being at the Americano is like sleeping in a bento box. If you order room service this is also all they have to offer. The beds are mattresses on raised wooden platforms and one has to crawl in and out of them-- it helps to be limber to do this-- I wouldn't want my mother to stay there. The raised platform also means that if you go to the bathroom in the middle of the night you need to be careful not to ram into it on your way back as I did. Ouch. The space for work is basically non existent so don't pick this hotel for a business trip. On the plus side, the staff is very friendly and the room I stayed in was impeccably clean.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank TravelstheWorld75
Megi D, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, March 28, 2013
Hello! Thank you for taking the time to review Hotel Americano. I am sorry you didn't find the rooms to be to your liking. They have been designed to suggest an urban Japanese ryokan with wooden platform, as we have displayed in our photos. As far as room service, there are 12 different items that can be chosen from the menu, they do come in a bento box so it ties in with the feel of the room.

We hope to see you again soon.

Hotel Americano