“It's a Bad Joke”

Ranked #383 of 467 Hotels in New York City
Providence, RI
“It's a Bad Joke”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

Let me start by saying I LIKE "design" hotels. In New York I well enjoyed Morgans back in the day, as well as the original Royalton, Paramount, and Hudson. In Milan I loved both the Straf and the Gray, and so on. But lately it seems each new designer boutique hotel has to be more novel, more extreme, than the last. And the inevitable result is a hotel like the Americano, probably the most ridiculous hotel I have ever tried.

My tiny room had essentially two pieces of furniture - the bed, which was a mattress on the floor like a college student sleeps on, and a black patent-leather (shiny vinyl) beanbag chair. Now I'm not a phobic type of guy, but I looked at that chair and asked myself, how many couples have had their way with that chair? I literally didn't want to touch it, I didn't even want to lay my clothes on it. This is "design"??

The other thing that seems to be happening to hotel rooms these days is that they're full of "secrets". In this room, the designer decided to hide the TV remote in a secret compartment in the floor beside the bed with an unmarked lid. Heaven forbid somebody should SEE the unsightly TV remote. The other secret I never figured out was how to turn on the sink and shower lighting. I flipped every switch I could find in the entire room without success. When I told the receptionist that I never got the lighting to work she very dismissively asked me why I didn't call reception. To turn on the lights!

Yes the rooftop bar was pretty cool, too bad the service was so terrible. I mean, our waitress was completely in lala land even after my party stressed that we had dinner reservations we had to meet.

Let me end by saying something nice - the Aesop toiletries were very good.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank GiftBizGuy
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
We would like to start off by saying we are very sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We are constantly growing and improving, so your review is highly helpful to us. We do wish you had pointed out some of you problems to us, so we could have made the remainder of your stay pleasant. We take constructive criticism well, and we hope you will return to stay with us in the future so we may make your second visit worthwhile! Thank you again.

Marketing & Communication
Hotel Americano

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Providence
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I recently stayed at Hotel Americano for 4 nights. The room was well thought out and had a beautiful simplicity about it. The bed was very comfortable and the attention to detail impecable- enjoyed the ipad loaded with music, Aesop bath products, robe, slippers and chocolates on you pillow.The staff was extremely helpful and accommodating. The neighborhood is interesting with restaurants, bars, shops and galleries.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Elizabeth P
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 23, 2012
Thank you so much Elizabeth, for your wonderful review. It is much appreciated. We are so very happy you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to have made your visit to New York just a little bit better. If you plan on returning to New York soon, please feel free to contact me directly at MDoci@hotel-americano.com and I would love to arrange your reservation. Thank you again!

Orlando, Florida
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

The americano is well located by the sky line and the pool area is nice, also the staff is very friendly and the bar area downstairs has a good & trendy vibe. The crowd for happy hours is a nice mix too.

The rooms are neat but make sure you get a high floor in order to grab a cool city view. Also be aware that the design of the bed and bathrooms are more geared towards a younger clientele (see through showers and bed mattress very close to the floor). I liked the entire experience very much and prices for NyC are pretty decent.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your review of Hotel Americano. We truly appreciate your feedback, and are so happy you enjoyed your stay here with us. We would love for you to come visit us again, if you do, contact me directly and I would love to take care of the reservation for you MDoci@hotel-americano.com.

Caracas, Venezuela
Reviewed August 3, 2012

The design and ambience is beautiful and great. But key basic services need more attention and detail for a hotel of this category. The A/C didn't work well for the 1st 2 days until it was fixed. Fitted sheets on the bed are too small so they come out every night, not allowing for a good rest. Maids can knock at your door several times in the morning or early night disrupting your privacy and you can hear hotel noise as well. Other than that location is chic with bars anb restaurants within walking distance, the hotel restaurant is good, and the bar on the pool has great ambience.

1 Thank canzola
Thank you for your review of Hotel Americano. We appreciate it and will take in everything you have said to better our service in the future. We are sorry that your experience was not as we hoped and would love for you to stay with us again. We are a new hotel and are constantly learning and bettering ourselves.

buenos aires
Reviewed July 26, 2012

I was astonished to see the hotel had some bad reviews, so before writing mine I carefully read them... And it´s true, our room was tiny (but then I don´t expect to spend much time in it when I´m in NYC), it had fantastic and very open views and I loved the modern and stylish look. The bed is a platform bed so if high beds is what you are used to, or you have difficulties getting up from low furniture, this is NOT the place to come to. The bathroom is small ... but does one need much more than that: unless you want to wash your hair in the sink why would one want a larger one? Don´t know, this is a diverse universe and luckily NY offers all kind of different options to different people.
We stayed four nights (in july) and I personally absolutely recommend this place: the design is stylish, location is just perfect (right next to the highline and the Chelsea Market), the staff was really nice (perhaps a bit slow to react) , the place has an great vibe, the terrace is ... how can I put it? amazing, breathtaking. To float in the swimming pool looking at the Empire State was an experience in itself.
It´s modern, stylish and hip ... with a latino flavour. And that is something that I just loved!.

We travel a lot, stay in tons of hotels in different part of the world, and I know for sure I have found my place in NY. Whenever I´m coming back, I´ll stay at the Americano.

1 Thank Anabella-BuenosAires
Will J, Public Relations Manager at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Hotel Americano, we truly appreciate it. We are so happy to hear that you loved the hotel, and the staff. Please let us know if you are visiting New York again, as we would love for you to stay with us again. You are welcome to contact me directly and I would be happy to set up your reservation mdoci@hotel-americano.com

HÔTEL AMERICANO
Stockholm, Sweden
Reviewed July 26, 2012

This review would have had a much better rating were it not for an issue of transparency which has jaded not just this hotel but others which my wife and I have visited over the years (The Landmark in London for example - or a hotel which does not deserve to have anything other than a one-star rating).
We booked the Americano as a couple taking their honeymoon - albeit 11 months after first getting married; my wife being editor of a Swedish design and architecture magazine and me also working in the same field and, thus, bound by deadlines most of the year.
So this whole trip was a pretty big thing. For one thing, we're journalists and get paid a pittance so money spent on accomodation was done after weeks of research, letter writing (The Jane was very good at responding to enquiries with a real passion, positive attitude and attention to detail - we'll move to that 'attitude' factor later).
Secondly, we pay attention to the 'design' tag.
Our check in was swift and welcoming, with Chris being a bit of a charmer. He even paid a bit of attention to a request for a table to be booked at a restaurant - which never arised, so potential questions over the talents of the concierge abilitys of Americano. The room (an uptown queen) was good and well designed although having the assault the elevator with a key fob/sex toy was probably a bit overkill. Our shower had a leak in the framework but it was good to see the hotel had responded to rumours of being noisey in the hallways by adding carpet to the floors. A shame as we like a bit of exposed concrete.
The positioning of the lighting was good in the bathroom, which always gets my goat - not being able to have a decent shave through badly thought-out lighting happens too much in hotels today. That said, the sink is tiny and needs a plug.
The hotel's application was a great touch too.
Bar wise, the downstairs bar was welcoming enough as was the rooftop, which does need some better way of being 'closed' if it's raining. Simply not having anyone there is a bit tacky and the impact of heading all the way up in the lift only to be greeted by soggy, covered furniture is a bit of a let down.
The area too is fine, plenty to do, a bit of walk to the tube but that's fine.
Some have said it's great to have a coffee bar available in the morning but the hotel would probably be better off getting around the changing the pricing on the wall. To be told in a flip manner by a member of staff that something is a "Different price" because "The prices on the wall are, like, from when the hotel opened, like hahaaa, so old..." is a bit daft. You seem to make a bit of money from the interest earned on the incidentals deposit so perhaps invest in a few vinyl decals. You "So don't want to be, like, 2011!" do you?
So far so mixture of good and bad. So let's get to the bad.
Incidentals. If I am told that a rate is a rate then that's the price it should be. I'm happy to give a deposit if I am told about it in advance. I'll even hand over a card to cover something unforseen and happy for the details to be kept after the stay for a few days. But to check an account and find that 100 dollars a night has been taken from my card without my permission and without good notice is a disgrace. Then to be told that the money has not been put on reserve but actually removed is far worse.
The poor lass in reception was in no position to respond in any way close to being considered 'adequate'. In my wife's eyes, this issue jaded her experience of the Americano so we'll probably not return as a result. Which, incidentally, is a shame.

Room Tip: They're small but well formed. Just don't expect to wash your face.
1 Thank Richard P
Will J, Marketing & Communications at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Thank you Richard for your review. We are sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, as we hoped you would. These issues you have mentioned will not go on deaf ears. We appreciate you pointing them out and will look into all these issues as a matter of urgency. We hope you do give us another try and look forward to hopefully welcoming you again in the future. Thank you.

HÔTEL AMERICANO
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed July 17, 2012

my experience:
I came in at 14h30. No room available before 15h00 (as if all rooms are cleansed at the same time). I had to undress in dirty restrooms, the staff was very arrogant.
The rooms are small, poorly furnished in comparison with the lobby. The rooms/doors and walls are not sufficiently isolated and you participate at your neighbors phone calls if it's not he wakes you up!
the lights are economical, a good idea but not when it takes 20 minutes to have light in a bathroom... showering in the dark is not my favorite activity. Anyway the bathroom is unusable!
all in all the worst experience in a NYC "cool hotel" I had and I was in most of them.
In a nutshell: don't go you'll regret the money that it's simply not worth it!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
5 Thank travelafficionadome
Will J, Manager at Hotel Americano, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
We are sorry to hear your experience with us was not up to your standards. We welcome all feedback as it helps us get better and we will certainly look into all points you raised.
However, with regards to your check in wait, we would like to point out that Hotel Americano is a boutique property with only 56 rooms and this means that at times, our front desk is left with very few options (or none). We can assure you that if the front desk had an option for you, they would have certainly accommodated your early check in, same way they ended up upgrading you to a higher room category. Also, we do apologize the furniture and the lighting was not of your liking. Each item has been handpicked by our interior designer ( world famous) Arnoud Montigny but we do understand the design is indeed unique. Regardless, we would like to once again extend our apologies for the inconvenience and we do truly hope you that if you return to New York you will give us another try. If you do decide to come back, please do contact me directly and I will take care of your reservation personally. Thank you.

Marco Cilia