“Funky and Stylish”
Review of Hotel Americano

Hotel Americano
Ranked #391 of 469 Hotels in New York City
Reviewed July 3, 2012

I stayed at the Americano for the second time -- the first time was during their opening week. They have gotten many of the glitches taken care of and this was truly a pleasant stay. The staff is very friendly and accommodating and this time I felt like an insider since I remembered how to work the funky light switches and window shades. The beds are mega-comfortable, but those who have problems getting down to - or up from - the floor might have a bit of difficulty getting in and out since the beds are on elevated platforms and are quite low. In fact, the "night table" is a secret compartment sunken into the floor next to the bed. Very cool use of space.

The restaurant area is nice and my yogurt/granola breakfast was delicious. Great West Chelsea location -- right in the heart of the gallery district. Off-the-beaten-path for sure -- it's in the middle of an industrial-looking street, but worth finding and checking out. A bit pricey, but love the Euro-style and personalized touches as opposed to the big box chains.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Susan_S_Dunwoody

Reviewed May 31, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Americano for 5 nights and loved it! I would definitely stay there again. It is a very stylish & chic boutique hotel located next to art galleries, bars, restaurants & night clubs in Chelsea. I loved the sleek, minimalist interior. The rooms are impeccable, if a little small. Don't expect a whole lot of storage space, particularly not in the bathroom! I liked the futon which I felt was very comfortable, as well as the view from our room, which was located on the 8th floor. The room is bright, and has a funky interior with cool, artsy pieces of furniture. The best part of the hotel was definitely the rooftop "La Piscine" with the pool, where you can get cocktails at night and amazing views of the city. The pool itself is very small and not really meant for "proper" swimming, but a nice luxury to have on a hot summer's day for a quick dip. Most of the staff is very friendly, professional and courteous (although there were one or two snooty ones). There is always good music playing, usually bossa nova or some other lounge-music, which suits the place perfectly. We also had brunch at the hotel on Sunday, when they had a flamenco / bossa nova band playing soothing music, perfect to overcome a killer-hangover. The brunch was spectacular, if a little on the pricey side. However I feel you cannot put a price-tag on comfort, and this place really is worth every penny in my opinion. For me it was a very pleasurable experience and I would return in a heartbeat!

Room Tip: Pick a room on a high floor to get a good view! Perhaps not the top floor though because they occasi...
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Melindalinda
Reviewed May 7, 2012

The ground floor is the best part: great setting for a drink, meetings and group dinners -- chill enough to hear the person next to and across from you. Aesop amenities in a simple bathroom with a minimal room featuring a bean bag and a bed on a platform (toe-stubbing so be careful). The room is pretty sparse but functional. The location is not for everyone -- ideal for people who want to explore Chelsea, with its dozens of art galleries, and the west side/meatpacking district.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank wanderlustc
Reviewed May 3, 2012

I have recently spent 4 days in Manhattan and stayed in Hotel Americano. The hotel, in the heart of chelsea, is an amazing place to stay, both style and comfort together, along with super friendly staff. Rooms are very cool and comfortable! Rooftop is one of the best views of Manhattan and worth to stop by for a drink/or and sunbathe. The atmosphere is great and the staff in the main desk very helpful. Just a small stroll from all the galleries and cool bars in the Meat packing District. If I go back to Manhattan any time soon there is no other place I am staying but Hotel Americano! Big thanks to all the staff!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Agustin Z
Reviewed April 16, 2012

A modern minimalist utopia located in New York's gallery district. My husband and I just spent four nights at the Hotel Americano and our expectations were greatly exceeded:

+ The rooms provide the ideal environment for exquisite sleep quality. The mattresses are supremely comfortable, the temperature is kept steady by a thermostat that keeps air circulating at a constant rate (instead of turning on loudly when the temperature reaches a certain level) while providing a nice "white noise" sound, and the electronically-powered shades have an option to darken the room completely. Also - and this is key - there is no noise from the outside, from the hallways, or from other rooms. We stay at many hotels throughout the year (especially my husband, who travels for business), and we both agreed this was the best sleep we've ever gotten while traveling.

+ The design of the hotel is very modern. This means the rooms are sparsely furnished, the bed is a platform on the floor, and the space is small. We absolutely loved it, but if your idea of comfort is a Marriott or a Doubletree or something like that, you will not like it here.

+ There is an iPad in the room with wonderfully curated music playlists

+ Service was fantastic - the front desk and doorman had excellent recommendations and everyone was very friendly.

+ I found the location to be perfect even though it wasn't close to the subway. It was easy to find a cab or walk along the highline.

+ Aesop bath products were a nice touch.

- The shower is visible from the bedroom area, so if you're not comfortable with that, or if you're traveling with someone who is just a friend it might not be suitable.

Hotel Americano is chic and comfortable, with an international/latin flair - it's not for everyone, but if you're looking for a hip spot that is well-designed, this is a great place to stay. We can't wait to return!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
5  Thank gnomeranger
Reviewed March 29, 2012

First of all, the staff was very friendly, somewhat clueless as others have mentioned. I wanted to be near the Javits center and that was cool, about a 5 block walk. But the room was soooo minimal, it was a bit ridiculous. I cannot sit on a beanbag chair and put on socks. I also had to pretty much roll out of bed before standing, although it was a comfortable mattress on the floor.the cool I pad had a dead battery, good thing I had my apple charger. Late night, we wanted dessert from room service, nothing on the menu but a burger and some other deli type stuff. Jazz brunch was nice but overall I won't be back. Did I mention the concrete floors in the room? The hotel comment card asks about your stat, etc... And How OLD you are! I'm just too old for this place, I like to be comfortable.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled on business
5  Thank joanielovestravel
Reviewed March 29, 2012

I recently stayed four nights at this very new hotel in the heart of Chelsea and right there is a big plus! After a wonderful reception and intro to my room, I headed out for an art feast at the Armory Show. Yes, the room was small, but it had everything I needed and was very quiet. I had room service several times and everything was delicious, however small the menu might be. There was a very long delay with dinner one night and they took it off my bill. The hotel gave me a bike to ride up to the Piers for the art show and all in all very helpful with everything. One suggestion is better English language speakers at the front desk.

Room Tip: I was high up and in a corner with two windows.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled solo