“Almost Perfect”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #59 of 468 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed September 25, 2012

Stayed at the Hyatt 48 Lex last weekend for three nights and was just blown away when I walked into my room. The room size was fine since I was alone, tucked into a far corner and very quiet, beautifully appointed in contemporary grays and whites, and with a great kitchen area completed with a drawer dishwasher!

There was a great lounge on the second floor with a wonderful coffee/latte machine available all day. My disappointment at breakfast is that they only had juices, fruit and pastries, no protein at all for those that don't eat carbs. I ended up going out to buy my own yogurt which I kept in the refrigerator. The maid kept taking the spoon I had borrowed from the lounge, since there were no utensiles in the room. Why have a great mini kitchen, but no silverware(or plastic even).

Just when I was telling all my friends what a great hotel, I returned the third day at 5:30 to get ready to go out, only to find my room had not been made up. When I called the desk I was told they had until 6:00pm to make up the room. They did have a maid there within ten minutes, but I had to go to the lounge to get out of her way. While there, I tried to print my boarding pass, but the printer was down.

The staff in the lounge for breakfast was perfunctory, not especially friendly. There was a man there the first morning (more of a concierge) who was very helpful with guest trying to plan their day. Never ate in the restaurant because a woman I met said the her meal was not good and it didn't get great reviews online. There is a great Greek restaurant right next door that as a woman alone I felt very comfortable eating at the bar.

Will go back if I can get a good rate.

Room Tip: High floor, don't plan on a view.
1  Thank kglavin
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2012

kglavin,

Thank you for your comments! We are glad to hear you enjoyed your over-all stay with us. As far as your breakfast comment is concerned, unfortunately we do not offer breakfast and I am sorry if you were misinformed about that. Our second floor lounge offers pastries, juices, coffee, and additional items during the course of the day. All items are complimentary for all hotel guests.

Regards,

There are newer reviews for Hotel 48LEX New York

Reviewed September 24, 2012

When I first arrived I was informed that my suv would cost an additional 10.00. It was a RAV4 which is small the person said it did not matter. i never even asked. Nice welcome...The lobby is small and un impressive. The rooms are nice and the views are awesome. You ask a staff member where anything is they seem like it is a bother to answer. The club floor looks great but the offerings are skimpy. It is like they want to be a Ritz but really have a long way to go. Here is the kicker...They send a survey which I filled out as AVERAGE. No complaints, just avg. I get a reply back saying they are sorry and I will be getting 3000 points. Whay does that mean? Why? I don't know. I don't even know what value that is and I really wasn't unhappy. So the next paragraph opens up with someone elses name! I email Jessica and she replies within 1 minute with the name corrected. WOW! So impersonal. I actually showed it as a sample at a Customer Service seminar I was a speaker at a convention last weekend in palm Beach. We showed the screen shots of the date and time showing people how impersonal and cold a canned reply can feel. Most important, I always demonstrate customer service agents should NEVER go into a situation with an anticipated resolution. This must have been a calculated result that because I checked certain boxes, they felt it was best to give me 3,000 points with no explination. When I replied, the agent Jessica actually just replaced the other person's name with mine. I couldn't believe it. I really don't stay at Hyatt properties and I really am so unimpressed with the little things that it just made me feel very unwelcome. It this service doesn't make you feel like just a number then it may not be a bad fit.

Room Tip: Rooms are nice and the appointments very modern. It is cool but cold.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank ArtieSRQ
Brian T, General Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

artbeneva,

Thank you for your recent comments. I wanted to apologize for the overall lack of Customer Service you received. I will speak with all employees involved and make sure these types of issues are prevented in the future. I promise you that the Hyatt 48 Lex is dedicated to providing all our patrons with the highest level of Customer Service.

In addition, I can assure you we do not have auto generated email responses. We take pride in responding to all guest responses in real time, as well we reach out to all our hotels guests prior to arrival or during the course of one’s stay just to see how they are doing.

We do hope you stay with us again!

Brian C. Twomey
Assistant General Manager
brian.twomey@hyatt48lex.com

Reviewed September 24, 2012

I'm in NY virtually every week. I decided to give this newly designed property a try because it was a block from two restaurants I like. And man was I surprised. The hotel was intimate, beautifully designed, and just what i was looking for. Modern yet comfortable furnishings, with the best bathrooms and work spaces you can find. Only five rooms on each floor, so it's very quiet. A great video entertainment system that you can also use as a display for your computer or tablet. I'm going back in two days for my third stay this month. The only niggle---and it's a minor one at best---is that the room service French fries are made with truffle oil. And there's no way get them "untrruffled". Otherwise, this is an amazing marvel in Midtown.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

MarkG- Awesome News! We are thrilled that the Hyatt 48 is your new Favorite Hotel...

Come back soon!

Reviewed September 24, 2012

The location of this beautiful, boutique style hotel was perfect...mid town, just a few blocks from Grand Central Station and subways. It is ultra modern in interior/exterior design. The rooms are VERY clean, comfy beds with cotton duvets and flat screen HD tv's. Large bathroom and above average size for mid-town, New York hotel rooms. The staff was superb, truly cannot say enough about each of them from the front desk staff, the housekeeping staff, and concierges (these guys were fun!). After the first day they all greeted me by my name and welcomed me back. They were friendly (in a not overly bearing way) professional and courteous. The room I had was a corner room looking up Lexington Avenue with floor to ceiling windows. There was no noise from the street with the windows closed (yes you can push out the window a few inches to get the sounds of the city if you want). As many reviews have stated, there is a lounge on the 2nd floor that is a large 'living room', 24 hour coffee bar (including cappuccino, lattes, espresso and teas, etc. free). They serve pastries in the morning and cheese and crackers in the afternoon (wine available, not included). There were usually bananas or something to snack on throughout the day. There is a restaurant 2 blocks up on 49th called Caffe Linda where I had a wonderful black linguine with lobster and shrimp for $21.00! Lovely little restaurant, good wait staff and nice ambience. The Hyatt on Lex is a real find, but the staff is surely what makes this a wonderful place to stay and feel at home. The neighborhood is quite safe. Took a cab from airport (JFK) to hotel $58.00 (plus $12.00 tip). Can't say enough about Ash, Douglass, Bryan (may have left someone out). They got me tickets to The Book of Mormon (pricey, but worth seeing). I was only there to see the city on foot so they spent a lot of time explaining the subway maps and gave me great ideas on where to go and what to do (the high line was great, thanks, Douglas). Walked the Brooklyn Bridge back to Manhatten and that was a highlight, as was visiting the 911 Memorial site (make sure you get a pass for the day you want to visit (free). Hyatt on Lex will become your favorite hotel.

Room Tip: All the rooms are nice...it is a brand new hotel.
1  Thank jackandscooter

Welcome Home jackandscooter!

Love your comments, hope to welcome you back home soon...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

We stayed for nine nights at the end of August, beginning of September. As we travel to NYC a lot we have stayed in a good few hotels, but the Hyatt 48 Lex is by far the best one we have stayed in!!
The staff are so polite and professional and always had a smile and a greeting for us. The Hotel is in an excellent location for Grand Central Station, Central Park, Times Square etc. The rooms are large, spotless clean with huge comfy beds and great bathrooms with a walk in shower!! The floor to ceiling windows not only give you excellent views of NYC but allow excellent natural light into the rooms (which is hard to get in some NYC hotels). I also must mention that the windows had the best sound proofing ever!!

There was a turn down service in the evening which was always nice to come back to, the newspapers in the morning were excellent and the wet bar and mini fridge came in very handy. The air conditioning was excellent too and although we had it on all the time, we could barely hear it.

We will certainly return to this hotel and I would highly recommend it to anyone who wants a top class hotel in an excellent location with excellent staff!!!

Thank you Hyatt!! We really enjoyed our stay!!!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple

feejam-

Thanks for all your kind words, and it was a pleasure having you. Hope to see you again soon...

Reviewed September 24, 2012

First time at this Hyatt property... as a Diamond HGP, was upgrade to a corner suite that had a diagonal floor to ceiling window looking south down Lexington...an outstanding view. Everything was new, modern, even had a 'wine bar' in the room (with prices to match). Coffee @ the 2nd floor lounge was fantastic and always available. But with only 2 elevators to service the entire hotel, be prepared to wait... it was frustrating at times... what should have been a 5 min trip to the lounge to get coffee often took close to 15mins round trip. Service from the staff was outstanding, although i didn't have any unusual requests. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Lexiington Brass I think it's called) was fantastic.

pmmnc,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Regards,

Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed here for 4 night, and was very happy with our accommodations. The lobby is very small, but since most people don't spend a lot of time there, it is not an issue for me. The rooms we stayed in was big, roomy and comfortable. You have your own little wine bar, a coffee maker,refrigerator and a dishwasher. There are two flatscreen TVs, one by the sofa, and one by the bed. The staff was very helpful, and friendly.
My only complaint would be the $14.95 charge for internet in the room. That in itself is bad enough, but I was told it was per device! There is however a computer and a printer to use for free in the lounge on the second floor. Here they also serve complimentary tee and coffee. They have a espresso/cappucino maker, which we enjoyed thoroughly every morning.
The location was great, close enough to walk to the theatre district, and only a couple of blocks away from a subway stop.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2012

Hello SanDiegoSoccermom!

Thank you for staying with us, we truly are grateful for your business.

In response to your WIFI concerns, may I suggest signing up for Hyatt Gold Passport. (Loyalty Program) After 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in any Hyatt, members receive comp WIFI at all Hyatts.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian C. Twomey