“Great Location, neat hotel, needs more elevators”

Hotel 48LEX New York
Ranked #59 of 466 Hotels in New York City
GreenLeadersSilver level
Cary, North Carolina
“Great Location, neat hotel, needs more elevators”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

First time at this Hyatt property... as a Diamond HGP, was upgrade to a corner suite that had a diagonal floor to ceiling window looking south down Lexington...an outstanding view. Everything was new, modern, even had a 'wine bar' in the room (with prices to match). Coffee @ the 2nd floor lounge was fantastic and always available. But with only 2 elevators to service the entire hotel, be prepared to wait... it was frustrating at times... what should have been a 5 min trip to the lounge to get coffee often took close to 15mins round trip. Service from the staff was outstanding, although i didn't have any unusual requests. Breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Lexiington Brass I think it's called) was fantastic.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
pmmnc,

Thank you for your recent feedback. We are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us.

Regards,

Brian Twomey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (283)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
san diego
Reviewed September 19, 2012

I recently stayed here for 4 night, and was very happy with our accommodations. The lobby is very small, but since most people don't spend a lot of time there, it is not an issue for me. The rooms we stayed in was big, roomy and comfortable. You have your own little wine bar, a coffee maker,refrigerator and a dishwasher. There are two flatscreen TVs, one by the sofa, and one by the bed. The staff was very helpful, and friendly.
My only complaint would be the $14.95 charge for internet in the room. That in itself is bad enough, but I was told it was per device! There is however a computer and a printer to use for free in the lounge on the second floor. Here they also serve complimentary tee and coffee. They have a espresso/cappucino maker, which we enjoyed thoroughly every morning.
The location was great, close enough to walk to the theatre district, and only a couple of blocks away from a subway stop.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, September 20, 2012
Hello SanDiegoSoccermom!

Thank you for staying with us, we truly are grateful for your business.

In response to your WIFI concerns, may I suggest signing up for Hyatt Gold Passport. (Loyalty Program) After 5 eligible stays or 15 eligible nights in any Hyatt, members receive comp WIFI at all Hyatts.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Brian C. Twomey
brian.twomey@hyatt48lex.com
Overland Park, Kansas, United States
Reviewed September 17, 2012

So...just returned from our weekend in NYC. We picked the Hyatt 48 Lex because I had Hyatt points to use. What a bargain. Yes the lobby is small. Did it hinder our stay? Not in the slightest. Staff was very helpful. Called when our room was ready.

The room...we were on the 14th floor in a queen room. It was off to the left at the end of the hall. We loved the location as it was very quiet at all times. The room itself is huge by NYC standards. Very comfortable bed...great amenities.

The 2nd floor lounge is a great added benefit. Saved some cash on coffee in the AM. Don't count on this being a large breakfast as only pastries were served but it did have a great coffee machine.

We did have the opportunity to visit Lexington Brass for cocktails. LOVED it. The bartender was amazing. It felt like we were real New Yorkers...

I would want everyone to stay here but then we couldn't stay here again. It was perfect. Don't hesitate...

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank JuliMcG
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
JuliMcG-

We are truly grateful for your 5 star review. We are delighted to hear you enjoyed all that the hotel had to offer. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I just checked out of the new Hyatt 48 Lex this morning.

The hotel is nice. The lobby is extremely small, bordering on uncomfortably tight when there are more than a few people in the 'room'.

There is a 'lounge' on the second floor that has complimentary coffee and such. I liked this area as a place to escape. Very nice.

The rooms are very contemporary, very nice. Layouts and floorplans are a bit odd...and seem to vary greatly from room to room.

The feel of this hotel mirrors that of a new Andaz, albeit much smaller.

Although my stay here was 'fine', i have to admit that i would probably prefer to return to the Andaz on 5th next time. Rooms are larger, lobby and facilities more extensive...similar location.

Tommy at the front desk was the strongest asset to this hotel. He was always attentive, friendly, and went out of his way to make you feel welcome. I must say that other staff didnt meet the standard that he set at 'check in'. They were all fine, but nothing special.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
JamesE339-

Thanks for staying with us. You are absolutely correct, Tommy is an outstand associate and we are very lucky to have him. We do hope to welcome you back in the near future.

London
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I stayed here on business. The location is great and the rooms well appointed and very comfortable and clean. However at this price level I expect better on the service front - even in NYC.

I had free wifi in my room rate but every 24 hrs I had to go through a convoluted log in process that need my email address etc - this really should be a quicker, more efficient process.

Reception staff - variable -some of them were great, some of them woeful and the latter especially true of the evening/night shift. Bedroom walls are thin and you can hear what is going on in the other rooms next to you. I had to request cotton buds/q-tips/cotton wool and shower cap - these should be standard in all rooms but I was told only provided in suites. They did bring them when I asked - but I should not have to ask in a 4 star hotel. Also housekeeping was hit and miss depending on who did it - sometimes they replenished all toiletries/sometimes they did not. Sometimes turn down service gave you chocolates/sometimes they did not - you get the picture. However rooms were always very clean.

Lounge - it was okay but not particularly special and nothing like the Hyatt Club lounges, so if you are a Hyatt Club member you have nothing different. What also irritated me is that every morning I had to ask for them to put regular milk out for coffee (no I did not want it from the machine - I wanted it fresh from the fridge) vs the half and half provided. I cannot believe I was the only one that wanted milk in the mornings.

This hotel feels like it is trying to be a W but it really does not live up to that. Just be a (better) Hyatt.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank tinkers234
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
inkers234-

Thanks for your comments! I will be speaking w/ all departments involved to have these issues corrected. In addtion, I am so sorry to hear that you didnt enjoy your stay with us.

Just to comment on a few of your concerns...

Milk Comment: The coffee machine on the second floor is filled throughout the day w/ fresh milk. If anyone would like addtional milk, we have no issues getting some from the kitchen.

W Comment: We are not trying to be a "W", we are just trying to be ourselves.

Hope to welcome you back in the future...

Brian
Edgewood, New Mexico
Reviewed September 15, 2012

Hyatt 48 Lex is just two blocks from the subway and about five from Grand Central Station. It was very easy to get both downtown and in other areas around the city. The staff were very helpful and professional and the 2nd floor lobby was great. The room was small and the elevator scary. (It stopped working a couple of times while we were there but we didn't, thankfully, get stuck...) I would recommend this hotel for someone looking for a reasonably priced and centrally located location.

Room Tip: This boutique hotel has a limited number of rooms per floor. We ended up with a smaller room though...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank LovelyPlaces
LovelyPlaces,

Thank you for staying with us and all your kind words.

*As far as your elevator concerns, our elevators are maintained by both our hotel engineers and a thrid party elevator company on a weekly, and monthly basis.

Regards,

LA
Reviewed September 12, 2012

Great hotel! Good mid-town location. Nice walking distance to Central Park, Times Square, stores and restaurants. The hotel seems new or freshly remodeled. Although I actually don't mind chain hotels, especially for business trips, this one is a Hyatt property but had a boutique feel to it and it was personable. The decor is modern and very comfortable. My room was fairly spacious for NY, very clean, smelled nice and fresh when I walked in. I loved the furniture, very modern but not over the top. Nice, comfy bed, large screen flat HDTV (had a welcome message on the screen with my name on it - nice touch!), a kitchenette with a wine bar, fridge, microwave and a mini dishwasher. I did not request any of this, so I was under the impression that all rooms are equipped with such amenities.  I felt so bad that I was only staying one night and all by myself so I did not get to fully enjoy it. I told my husband on the phone that we must stay here when we visit NY together. Loved the bathroom too. Nice lighting with two settings, great, powerful hair dryer (my pet peeve since I have a lot of hair and really struggle in hotel rooms). Couple of watch-outs: I could use a little more counter space in the bathroom. It had some but not plenty. And, for those who prefer baths to a shower, my room only had a shower. I did not mind it, since I always take showers anyway and this one is really neat, but I thought it was worth mentioning.  The hotel rate was also very, very reasonable for NY in the middle of the Fashion Week.

I did not get to try the restaurant as I already had plans for the evening. One thing that I missed was a gift shop. Honestly, now that I think of it, I really didn't ask if they had it, but I did not see it, assumed they didn't so on my way back from dinner, I stopped by a store around the corner to get some water for the room.

There is a lounge room on the second floor that offers a few complimentary items such as fresh pastry in the morning which I enjoyed the next day before checking out.

The staff was absolutely amazing! When I first checked in I came straight from the airport and was stuck in traffic for almost two hours, tired, thirsty and cranky. But as soon as I came in, two very attentive staff members quickly processed the check-in, asked about my preferences, gave me a room on a high floor per my request, assured me that the hotel has double window panes so I would not hear the traffic, gave me a glass of fresh lemonade and whisked me away to my room in a matter of a couple of minutes. I felt like I just took a good nap - it was so nice. Then, later that night, I received an e-mail from the hotel manager asking me how everything was and if I needed anything else. They really made me feel like I was the only guest in the hotel. Unfortunately, I only stayed one night this time but will definitely come back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank ann7544
Brian T, Manager at Hotel 48LEX New York, responded to this review, September 13, 2012
ann7544-

Thank you for taking the time to post about your most recent stay with us at the Hyatt 48 Lex. We are extremely happy that you enjoyed your stay, and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

BEst,