“Only if you are hungry and in the area.”

El Ranchito Del Agave
Ranked #8,481 of 14,125 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Mexican
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: Midtown
Cross street: 37th
Transit: 1,2,3 or A,C,E to 42nd Street
Description: Welcome to El Ranchito del Agave where we serve delicious food, paired with authentic Mexican decor blend together to immerse you in culture, making your dining experience an event. El Ranchito del Agave is a great place to dine with family, friends, or that special someone. We have quickly become a catering favorite for many all over the New York City area. Our careful preparation of fresh Mexican spices and ingredients is what make us stand out from the rest. Whether it be a small family gathering or a large corporate event, we care about your party! Our delicious, authentic Mexican food is sure to make your special occasion memorable.
Reviewed October 14, 2013

Nothing in this restaurant was fresh from the salsa and chips to the skirt steak / with salad I ordered . My friend had the chicken breast which was over cooked. Numerous times we had to ask for silverware and napkins. In addition there were several flies in the restaurant itself and the bathroom. The only good thing was the Corona beer was cold, so not a total loss. The waitresses, although very friendly, did not appear to be professional or at least trained in the basics.

Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

This restaurant was reccomended to us by the bouncer at another mexican restauraunt that had stopped serving food for the evening so we decided to check it out. It was about 9:00 when we arrived and there was no one there except for a few locals at the bar. We felt extremely out of place but decided to stick it out since we were starving. The ambience was not impressive but what was expected of an authentic mexican place, huge murals on the walls, very old wood tables and a few pinatas and corona and modelo advertising. And there was really loud mexican music playing. Only served alcohol, no iced tea or soda. We did get water as we were not there to drink, just wanted to eat. Although they did have a pretty large bar menu, margaritas, sangria, beer, mojitos etc..The food was very good. We had chips and salsa and My husband who is the more opinionated one when it comes to food, loved his enchiladas. I had the chicken quesadillas which were the best that I have ever tasted. Service was ok, and considering that we were the only table and there were three waitresses and a bar tender, it could have been better. They were all very pleasant though. There were two guys who walked in and wanted to eat but took one look at the place and walked out! You cant really judge a book by its cover though. Not sure if we will ever go there again because there are so many places to try in the city but wouldn't discredit the place completely because the food was good. Our bill came to about $40 with tip.

Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is definitely a family owned Mexican restaurant. I ordered the enchiladas with green sauce and found them to be quite good. Soda is served in cans for $2 a pop. The decor is sparse but appropriate. The ambience needs a lot of work, but isn't too much of an issue. The entrance is a long hall that opens into the dining room which has a smallish bar.

When we were there at around 7pm on a Wednsday there was only one other table occupied. The server was not attentive, which wouldn't have been a problem except for the issue of there already being a 18% tip on the bill, and the credit slip still had a line for a tip. So without being careful a patron could double tip with the first tip being high in the first place!

Reviewed January 19, 2013

The food is ok but there is way better Mexican in the city! The decor and ambiance is horrible!! We had a groupon otherwise we would not have gone in ever! Even though we had already paid r the groupon my husband wanted to leave based on what it looked like and at was fom the outside!!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

Last Saturday night we had tickets to a show on west 43rd Street and really do not like to hang out in the Times Square area so originally planned to eat after somewhere else but I got an offer from Scout Mob for El Ranchito del Agave on 9th avenue between 36th and 37th and thought why not take advantage of our free parking and try it.
We wre also also intrigued by the idea of eating Chicken Poblana with a Mole sauce, not something your run of the mill Mexican joints have.
We were not disappointed.
It was the best sauce of any kind I've had in a Mexican restaurant on anything, in the NY area, Santa Fe, LA anywhere you can get this kind of cuisine on every corner.
I came back last night and it was actually better.My friends Fajitas were also great.
Meat tender, tortillas fresh, beautifully charred onions and peppers.
They gave me a salad, also freshly made, instead of rice and beans.
The decor, with its huge mural and "used" wooden tables is funky, but fun and the service is friendly, young and more then competent. I like hot food and those fajitas were sizzling.
The prices are more then reasonable, with a 5-8 happy hour, but even without that the booze is fairly cheap.
The margaritas are made to order, and tasty, my only complaint is that they could be stronger.
Every night, after 11, it becomes a latin dance club and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
I recommend this to everyone looking for a cheap, non touristy alternative to Times Square overpriced food after the theater or anytime.

1  Thank Hollyssg