“Okay”

Ranked #31 of 1,093 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Interactive, modernized exhibits and an IMAX theater help bring this museum, dedicated to understanding the past, into the 21st century.
Orlando, Florida
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Okay”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

It was interesting for a period of time, then I was bored. Yes the Dinosaurs are cool, but it was too much. There was a nice food court with lots of variety. It was difficult to navigate, we had to ask for directions just to exit out and we didn't exit the same way we can in.

• Arabic first
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Mr”
Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

When you visit new york is it a "must" to see this museum. You can spend a whole day in the museum when you want, so much to see.Fantastic. Note the prices in the restaurant are high.

1 Thank Hendrik J
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“A bit of a disappointment and the 'jaded' staff didn't help either...”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

We were so excited about coming to the museum. The museum itself was what you would expect but very clinical in its setting. I have been at other similar museums and they are much more interactive and INVITING!

The building itself is impressive when you step through the front doors but that was where it ended for me. There was a very cranky female security guard on the door who just barked at us. The cashier staff were ho-hum, no excitement or interest, about their jobs. We watched an IMAX movie was was really good, however again the security guard just kept barking at the crowd and at one point actually said the words 'Don't make me come down there and repeat myself'. He was a bit of a jerk.

However, the cloak room attendant gets the award for being the first really on obnoxious and rude New Yorker we've met on our 2 week trip to NYC!! We had 3 coats and a heavy but small backpack to check into the cloak room. We had to PAY $2 each to use this service....not even in Paris did we have to pay for a cloak room!!!! When I gave the attendant the coats and bag I said the bag was heavy. (It was raining outside and we were going straight to a baseball game that same evening so we had 4 heavy duty raincoat, 2 umbrellas, a spare iPhone battery charger and a guidebook in our bag). The attendant was so rude about taking the bag he asked what was in it and I told him raincoats and umbrellas. He rudely replied that they were pretty heavy umbrellas and raincoats, the implication being that I had lied about its contents. I really don't know what he thought I had in there. I offered to open the bag to show him but he declined but just continued being rude about it.

I am disappointed with this experience overall. I have worked in retail and customer service so I know how hard it can be to be continually nice to the public day after day. But I also know how a little bit of kindness can go such a long way to improve someone's impression of you and the SERVICE you are providing.

This was a pretty un impressive trip to the Museum of Natural History. I still cannot believe you get charged for the cloak service!!!

winchester
89 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 59 helpful votes
“very good”
Reviewed May 9, 2014

goes without saying there is masses to see - well worth visiting. Pick up a map or guidebook to make the most of your visit,

New York City, New York
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Screaming kids everywhere!!!”
Reviewed May 8, 2014

It's nearly impossible to focus on any of the old outdated displays with all the kids running around screaming. This museum is in serious need of updating. Other natural museums around the country are much higher quality and better controlled when it comes to screaming kids. The map is difficult to follow but there are good directions marked on the floor leading you the AMNH food court. Avoid this or keep your expectations low.

1 Thank Semperfi111075