“Thanks, my great-nephew” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #31 of 1,068 things to do in New York City
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Interactive, modernized exhibits and an IMAX theater help bring this museum, dedicated to understanding the past, into the 21st century.
Mechanicsburg, Pennsylvania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Thanks, my great-nephew”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

I love museums and this was superb. I was fortunate to have a relative who allowed us to see some off-limits areas to the public. I never realized the enormity of artifacts in a museum. When you enter, you feel the history opening up to you; it's exciting to learn things you didn't know. Please..........take your children.

Visited February 2013

16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Just Ok”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

I wouldn't visit again I don't think. The building is stunningly beautiful and the grand hall impressive. However, it was crowded and the main exhibits are just okay and the bathrooms were filthy. The two best exhibits we saw we had to pay extra for - a butterfly exhibit which was very good but an extra $17 per person and a space show which was actually very impressive. I just hate having to pay an admission for the mediocre stuff and then having to pay a lot more for the really good stuff. Some staff were not very helpful either. For example, they had closed off the main hall, where the admissions desk was, for a wedding. So I asked one staff person where I should go to buy tickets for the butterflies and they sent me to the butterfly exhibit. The staff person there told me he couldn't sell tickets so he sent me to a place downstairs which I couldn't find even though I asked several staff people for directions. The museum is huge and it is not easy to find your way anywhere (and I have an excellent sense of direction)...for most of our visit we just felt confused about how to get from A to B. We spent 60 minutes searching to buy tickets....staff need to be a bit more helpful and if you are going to close off parts of the museum for a wedding then admission should be discounted or special exhibits made free.

Visited November 2013
1 Thank elizabethmacdonald
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 88 helpful votes
“Staff is unhelpful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

If you are unfamiliar with the museum be prepared to wonder aimlessly around. We have been before but our Granddaughter wanted to go and didn't know what she wanted to do in the museum. We purchased general admission and would have bought more (special exhibits and imax require additional purchase) but every place to buy the additional stuff was for members only. After standing in lines for half and hour or more they send you somewhere else where you wait in line again just to be told to go somewhere else.
Prepare yourself for a lot of walking and backtracking. The maps are all but useless.
My advise is to go but go with someone familiar with the layout and museum knowledge.

Visited November 2013
New York City, New York
91 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 122 helpful votes
“A large and fabulous natural history museum”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2013

You have to be genuinely interested in natural history, but if you are, this is truly a great museum, which could easily take you several days to explore. If you don't like some of the more antique exhibits (I personally find the older ones quaint and cool), then ask anyone (security staff included) which areas have been recently renovated.

I personally love the Hall of Ocean Life, the magnificent dinosaurs on the 4th floor (wow!), the minerals and gemstones, the IMAX theater, and the Rose Space Center shows. And all of the new special exhibits are excellent. The live frogs are outrageously cute.

I also believe that adults who are still curious about the world can enjoy this museum as much as children do.

Visited October 2013
Laguna, CA
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Some Good Exhibits and Not So Good Ones, Too.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2013

After Metropolitan Museum of Art and Museum of Modern Art, this one proved to be a let down. The planetarium, whale, butterfly, and frog exhibits were very good, but the rest were not - very old and dated. I am sure when it first opened decades ago, it was probably considered grand. However, young children or those who have not been to a natural history museum would still enjoy the experience. I am sure some time in the future NYC will revamp the entire place when they can get the funds.

Visited October 2013