“Great soup - best handmade noodles”

Pure Thai Cookhouse
Ranked #36 of 14,144 Restaurants in New York City
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Midtown
Description: PURE Thai Cookhouse is a genuine Thai shophouse-style restaurant in Hell’s Kitchen that features homemade noodles from a prized family recipe. PURE specializes in signature dishes you would find from the many vendors and shophouses from the farmlands of Phayao, in the North to the floating markets of Ratchaburi in Central Thailand, to the oceans and fishing villages of Krabi in the South.
Reviewed September 17, 2013

I swear this is the best soup in the city. Great broths, great noodles.

Small place and very cramped but excellant food. Here is what I've had:

Grilled spicy beef salad - good, not great.

Vegetable spring rolls - same. Nothing special but there were a lot fo them.

Green papaya salad - this is just great, refreshing, crispy.

Wok cashew nuts with chicken - this could have been more flavorful but my mom liked it.

Pad Kee Moa- excellant drunken noodles, i could eat this whole thing.

Soups- I've had the beef noodle soup, duck soup, and the ratchaburi soup. Always get the soup with the handmade egg noodles delish. My favorite is the beef noodle. It has the best flavor.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Small, quaint restaurant on 52nd/9th in Manhattan. Service was great and we only had to wait 15 minutes for a table for 3. We ordered the vegetable dumplings and chicken curry puffs as appetizers, both dishes were great. For dinner, I had pad thai and friends both ordered different curries... everyone was pleased with their meal. Overall, good food and unique restaurant.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

Overall, giving this place 3 stars because out of 3 dishes, only 1 succeeded. For 2 people, we waited for about 45 minutes. We ordered the chicken curry puffs, beef salad, and pad see ew.

We sat at the bar and surprisingly service was somewhat decent. The food took awhile to get to us though.

The chicken curry puffs came out first and biting into it, flavors were bland, not much curry kick, and the flour seemed under cooked. I think previous reviewers liked the softness of it and it not being overly fried but I think it's actually under cooked. Dish was very underwhelming. Something that I didn't expect for thai food.

The beef salad was much much better. The meat was about medium rare which was good. I don't like it when the beef is like jerky, that's just terrible. I'm glad that they did not screw up such a simple dish. It's usually the simple dishes that are really hard to do right. All the components of the salad worked together but I wish there was mangoes in it. The apples were sweet enough. My only complaint is the little white "rocks" seasoning, I forgot what it's called but it gives texture to the dish. However, it got stuck in my teeth and it felt like chewing on sand. I think they should replace it with peanuts. It's a good dish, but it needs refinement.

Lastly, the pad see ew. Noodles were excellent, dish was too sweet for me and the meat was like jerky. I think if they didn't cook the meat that long and just made it medium rare, this would have been a better well rounded dish. I think they cooked the meat separately, then again when the noodles were being cooked.

One surprising thing was they every now and then they would refill our glasses with water even though we were sitting at the bar. I was happy with that.

Overall, this place really lacked flavor in the dishes that we had. Something I don't expect from a thai place. I expect bold strong flavors. I've never been to thailand but I doubt their authentic dishes were bland in flavor. I also have a suspicion that the noodles here on average is not their strong suit. I think their wok or rice dishes would be better. I will try that if I come here again.

I would recommend The Sea in Brooklyn over this place any day.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

Probably the smallest restaurant I've ever been in, which was very cool to me. It felt very NYC to me. Great food too and good service!

Reviewed September 2, 2013

On a tip from a local friend I came here for dinner with my wife while in town. It's a small shotgun shack-style narrow room with limited seating, but unlike some of the previous underwhelming reviews, we loved this place! We were told there was a 35-minute wait for a table, but it smelled so good we figured we'd wait it out. The hostess/waitress took our cell phone number and we ambled a couple doors down to McCoys Irish Pub where we had a beer and watched a wide array of sports on several t.v.'s until we got the call in about 30-minutes and were seated. We ordered some steamed vegetable dumplings that were uniquely delicious. My wife ordered the Wok Vegetable Medley With Tofu that was very tasty with perfectly cooked vegetables. I got the Nakorn-Patom Duck Noodles Soup that was equally delicious. Definitely worth a visit for great Thai food.