“Good location for UN events, but overpriced otherwise” 4 of 5 stars
Review of ONE UN New York

ONE UN New York
Ranked #324 of 478 Hotels in New York City
Chicago, Illinois
“Good location for UN events, but overpriced otherwise”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2014

I was at the UN for a symposium so this hotel was in the best location possible. However, it doesn't have free wifi or coffee/tea amenities in the room, so the price is quite expensive for the bare-bones amenities. The size of the room was good as was the bathroom and it had excellent views. If I am in NY again but not at the UN, I'd pick the cheaper/similar options around Times Square. Checking-in took a long time but the staff were pleasant enough.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
    • 2 of 5 stars
1 Thank HappyDesiNomad
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 20, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your review. Our rates do tend to fluctuate and I regret to hear you did not find the rates to your liking. You may ultimately want to consider our West Tower accommodations. Boasting many fine perks including complimentary Wi-Fi, I’m confident you will notice the change. Please contact me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com for your next stay and I would delighted to ensure your expectations are exceeded.

Guest Relations Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (453)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
MOLESEY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2014

My husband booked this hotel as a treat for my birthday complete unbeknown to me, it was our first trip to NY somewhere I had always wanted to go. What a treat, how lucky was I that he picked this hotel it was fantastic. We had a room on the 40th floor of the West Tower, breakfast was included and what a bonus to find that drinks and snacks were also included in the Skyline lounge on the 30th floor between 5pm and 8pm. To sit there with such an amazing view and talk about our day was the icing on the cake.
We did have an issue as someone else has mentioned with static electricity from the carpets but we soon found ways to stop this being a problem.
Pros: The location was out of this world, the breakfast was fantastic, it was perfectly clean, staff were helpful, I couldn't find fault with it at all.

Cons: The check in was a bit slow and some of the reception staff seemed a little fed up but that may be because we were unlucky, our guy was lovely though.

Location: Right next to United Nations building. Empire State a few roads away, Central Park maybe 15 mins walk.Times Square about 20 min walk. Perfect location

Excellent hotel made our stay in New York an amazing experience. I can't believe that there was a better view in NY anywhere, to lay in bed and look out at the Empire State building and Chrysler Building was so much better than expected. We booked breakfast which was continental style but there was so much on offer we didn't ever need lunch as we were too full, it wasn't just a basic continental I can assure you. Staff were always helpful and polite, there was quite a queue when we checked in that dragged on a bit which didn't bother us too much I think we were just unlucky. You could not beat the location we walked everywhere even back from Staten Island and it didn't take very long

Room Tip: Ensure you book the West Tower
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 19, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

We’re always eager to receive feedback from our guests and I’m grateful you took a moment to share your experience with us. I’m absolutely thrilled to know that you enjoyed your stay so thoroughly. We strive to offer our guests with service they expect and it’s wonderful to know we’ve reflected this during your visit. Please don’t let it be too long until we welcome you back as our guest!

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

...and your experience will be just fine. I booked a King room through Expedia but after reading reviews I knew in my gut that we would be in the east tower and sure enough upon check-in that's what we were assigned. I was initially told they were sold out in the west tower but I could upgrade to the west tower for $80/night (same room but included breakfast, internet, etc.) or pay $120/night for a 1-bedroom suite with breakfast, internet, evening hors d'oeuvres and cocktails and all-day refreshments. We went for the 1BR suite. BEST. DECISION. EVER. Our room was massive by NYC standards, had 1.5 bathrooms and a glorious view. The complimentary food and drinks were pretty good and no problems with the internet. The reason I'm not giving the ONE UN a 5 is because you can tell the rest of the hotel is pretty tired. For us the staff service was fine because you were pretty much left alone and weren't forced to make small talk (although one employee in the lobby had a very loud and serious belching problem). I could see other people perceiving the service as inattentive or discourteous, but it depends on what you're looking for. We're not the type to require schmoozing or catering by hotel staff. Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Shell out the extra dough for the west tower.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Natalie H
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay. Thank you for sharing your comments with us. We certainly are proud of our newly renovated West Tower. As for our team members, I would like to request that you please reach out to me directly so that I may address the particulars. I can be reached at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2014

Nice location in the right area some great views the pool is a massive let down as is the Sauna which was broken for guys- yes they separate guys and girls. Wifi wasn't free when paying $750 for 3 nights you'd expect these as basic amenities and the front desk was under staffed so long waits. having said that staff were friendly lobby is very nice rooms were of a good quality too!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Sam B
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 14, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

It’s always a pleasure to receive feedback from our guests and I thank you for taking a moment to share your comments with us. Our West Tower accommodation offer complimentary Wi-Fi. You may want to consider one of these rooms for your next stay. As for the staff member, we’re glad they were able to elevate the experience. We pride ourselves on high standards of guest relations and it’s wonderful to know they have reflected that for your stay. Please contact me at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels. I am here to ensure the comfort of your stay.

Hopkinton
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

It started off badly at the front desk and only got worse from there. I was greeted with a grunt and was told that my room was not ready. Instead of taking down my phone number and offering to call me when my room was ready ( like every other hotel does) I was told to "keep checking back" Over an hour later my room was finally ready, and off I went. When I got up to my room, 36'th floor in the East tower I found that the A/C was turned off, which was add since it was really hot in the room. I quickly figured out why this was the case. Upon turning on the A/C I was greeted with a rumbling sound akin to sitting in an airplane right next to the engine. When I called the front desk asking to be moved to a different room I was told that there are no rooms available and someone would come up to take a look at my issue. 10 minutes later someone from housekeeping showed up and asked me "What is the problem" Once I explained to them, (over the noise of the rumbling) she told me that she was told that the room was not clean and there is nothing that she can do for the noise. She then called someone on the phone and asked them maintenance to come up. 30 minutes later, and nursing a major migrane from the rumbling noise I finally gave up waiting and called the front desk one more time. This time, after once again being told there are no rooms available, I asked and was transferred to the manager. After spending 5 minutes on hold I was greeted with a "Yeah". I asked if this was the manager and was told "Yeah I am the night manager what is going on" After spending another 5 minutes explaining what I now explained to 3 people the night manager interrupted me and asked " is that the loud noise I am hearing over the phone" (imagine how bad it must be if it was interfereing with a phone conversation. 5 more minutes on hold and I was told " Well I will have to bump someone else to give you a new room, but fine" Off I got to a new room. Guess what I hear as soon as I walk in - YUP the same darn A/C noise. This time I took matter into my own hands. Took the room -service menu and showed it into the A/C grate to stop the noise (it did not fix it completely, but made it better - see pics) Next was time to fix the bed. Every time I moved on it, the bed sounded like it was about to fall apart. Had to tighten all the legs, and shove things under the broken ones (see pics)
Overall this was the worst room/service/experience I had at a hotel. I am not sure how the new tower is, but the east tower that I stayed in is awfull. It is old, run down (see more pics) and needs a complete gut job.

Room Tip: Stay in the new tower, do not stay in the old one!
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank zhukov11
ONEUNNewYork, Guest Relations Manager at ONE UN New York, responded to this review, May 13, 2014
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m quite concerned to read your comments. Please reach out to me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com so that I may look into the particulars.

Las Vegas, Nevada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2014

I first stayed at One UN New York, then the UN Plaza, in 1983. It has become my New York "go to" hotel ever since. My most recent stay was the week before last. My brother accompanied me on the trip; and he had never stayed at the hotel.

We were originally booked in the East tower. Frankly, I was disappointed; the East tower is sore need of renovation, although the views of downtown, uptown, and the East River were great. However, in typical fashion, the extremely efficient staff did everything necessary to improve our experience. We were moved to the West tower, which has been beautifully renovated. Our suite was outstanding, with unbelievable views. (Imagine waking up each morning with a view of the Empire State Building, and going into the living room with a view of the UN, East River, and the World Trade each day.) The staff from the front desk to housekeeping were extremely attentive to our needs.

Unfortunately, our business in New York extended longer than planned, and the hotel was full, so we had to move. My brother was disappointed fir two reasons: First, we had to move, and secondly, because the new hotel was not One UN.

Thanks again for a great experience.

trequer

Room Tip: Definitely stay in the West tower. The East tower needs to be renovated.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Valued Guest,

I’m grateful for your review and I thank you for sharing your comments with us. I regret to learn that you were not able to extend your stay with us. During your dates of stay, our hotel experienced high occupancy levels. I’m sorry that you did not find the East tower to your satisfaction however, it’s wonderful to know that our staff members accommodated you to your liking. We pride ourselves on high standards of guest relations and it’s always thrilling to hear positive feedback in that area. For your next stay, please contact me directly and I would be delighted to ensure your next stay exceeds your expectations. I can be reached at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com.

3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 10, 2014 via mobile

Just checked into the One Un NYC after requesting an upgrade and a king bed in the new West tower four days prior. Was offered to upgrade for $100 (by email) but declined. The East wing is as described, run down.. we were also given two full beds.. thanks for not honoring any of our requests... photos will be attached. This is my second Nyc Priceline purchase where the rooms do not live up to 4 star quality. I am wondering if buying through Priceline guarantees their worse room? A little disappointed as we are celebrating a romantic weekend away before the chaos of our wedding.

Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Bobbie Jo S
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience with us. I’m sorry to hear you did not get the room you expected. With two different types of accommodations, I can assure you we offer our guests with options they can choose from and I’m deeply sorry that you didn’t get to experience the West Tower accommodations. I would very much like the opportunity to welcome you back and redefine your experience. Please contact me directly at Erica.Kostic@millenniumhotels.com for personal assistance.